R8 rear spring thingy and brake prop valve
  • Help

Default R8 rear spring thingy and brake prop valve

We seem to be missing from one side the metal dish that the top of the rear spring seats into. It then has a rubber bit that insulates between that bit and the crossmember coil tower. Does anyone know where we can source one of these from or even if they are a necescity to put back in?

Also, there is no rear brake proportioning valve on our R1130 (65).. should there be?
    Thanks, PK

Advertisement
    Try anything once; except incest and folk dancing.

I think I have a spare dish thingy and rubber in my spares collection, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Some guys take the brake proportioning valve off and fit a 't' piece in it's place and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on braking.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I think I have a spare dish thingy and rubber in my spares collection, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Some guys take the brake proportioning valve off and fit a 't' piece in it's place and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on braking.
    Thanks for that 59. (Even though you say not to)

That is all we have. So can anyone verify that it has no adverse effect, ie, someone that has driven both.

1000+ Posts

It makes no difference to day to day braking. What it is there for is to prevent rear wheels locking up before the fronts. If it is wet and you are on a curve or even a slight variation from straight i.e. trying to avoid the stopped car in front, and the rears lock up first then you will spin the car. Locked wheels don't steer in the wet or slippery conditions. Second if you do have an accident especially if some one is killed and the police investigator discovers you don't have the correct bits in the braking system you may be in an unenviable position. So there is some risk which you may or may not wish to take.

I am not one for risk taking if it can be avoided. I will fit a proportioning valve. I have read that the US cars had a dual system M/cylinder, has anyone had success at fitting this style to an R1130? I am assuming that if the M/cylinder bore is kept the same then the braking power will remain as OE.

Is this what you are missing..? If it is PM me the details and it's yours for the cost of postage.Graham

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 rear spring thingy and brake prop valve-007.jpg   R8 rear spring thingy and brake prop valve-008.jpg  
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by JodieK View Post
    Thanks for that 59. (Even though you say not to)

That is all we have. So can anyone verify that it has no adverse effect, ie, someone that has driven both.
    I have taken the valve out on all my rear engined Renaults, the adverse affect is the brakes work much better and still lock the fronts first in my testing. I have done this to my GTA Turbo and had great gains in braking performance, as I always thought before that there was too much front bias on my Alpine , and removing the valve has proven it to be quite competent in wet and dry, on trackor road.

Maybe on 20 year old 135 skinnys, there may be a problem, but on reasonable tyres like you will fit to your 8, it will be fine. Sunroof does make a valid point about insurance. Hopefully with my better brakes I will avoid the accident to begin with.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Jodie,
    I do not have any installed in my cars and I cannot think of anybody of our group that has left it in. I have not noticed any bad habits of the tail even when racing in the wet.

I will remove it for sure.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I'll add to the chorus of "remove the limiter". From my paddock basher to the two road going R10s I've had, they all had it removed. Never spun because of it (spun many many times, but not because of the limiter ).

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I have taken the valve out on all my rear engined Renaults, the adverse affect is the brakes work much better and still lock the fronts first in my testing. I have done this to my GTA Turbo and had great gains in braking performance, as I always thought before that there was too much front bias on my Alpine , and removing the valve has proven it to be quite competent in wet and dry, on trackor road.

Maybe on 20 year old 135 skinnys, there may be a problem, but on reasonable tyres like you will fit to your 8, it will be fine. Sunroof does make a valid point about insurance. Hopefully with my better brakes I will avoid the accident to begin with.
    There were three different types of brake limiting valve according to my late edition factory manual. I'd be more worried about the valve misbehaving and limiting the braking effort than anything else. They are all decades old by now. Are they available as a spare part? Would you be able to get one tested to see whether it meets spec?

Sunroof's comment is fair, of course, but my risk assessment suggested to me that I was more comfortable without the valve and I threw it away years ago. His comment, with which I wouldn't argue in principle, also leads to remembering that to keep the car roadworthy, and insured, you should be ensuring that the brakes are serviced to the book not a crack on a hose, disc thicknesses in spec and so forth. Mine had new front rotors, new hoses, new pads, new calliper seals etc a couple of years ago and the brakes are much better and more progressive than ever before. I run silicone fluid too, a point that could be debated at length!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information