4cv axle seals
  • Help

Thread: 4cv axle seals

Icon5 4cv axle seals

I need some rear axle seals, a gear selector seal and a LH front upper control arm trailing bush for my 1955 Renault 4cv (750). Any good sources you know of? I'm pretty new to ownership of this great little car, so would appreciate being sent in the right direction.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Rob,

Lots of good sources in France. However, there is a 19.6% GST and of course the freight. Never the less most part are available. The french models did not have wind up front windows only the export models.

Try the following sources:

http://www.web-pieces-retro.fr/PEEL/sitemap.php

http://www.ichard.fr/

http://www.melun-retro-passion.com/

In the US try
    http://www.renaultparts.us/

Hope this helps,

David

Fellow Frogger!

Rob, i have some parts from my 750 that i cant use, the car i have has the 3 stud wheels, if you are passing by this way, im only an hour from ballarat, you can see what i have and if you can use any of it
    Cheers Thierry

From the good 'ol parts catalogue here are a few dimensions of the various lip seals:

Selector shaft oil seal, there are two versions:
    Early, 8519103, 13 x 30 x 8
    Late, 8540228, 12 x 30 x 8

Inner rear axle seals:
    8521652, 36 x 54 x 7.5

Outer rear axle seals:
    8521653, 34 x 52 x 7.5
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Wouldn't the seals be available at your local bearing shop. Just quote the sizes Simon has given you.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    From the good 'ol parts catalogue here are a few dimensions of the various lip seals:

Selector shaft oil seal, there are two versions:
    Early, 8519103, 13 x 30 x 8
    Late, 8540228, 12 x 30 x 8

Inner rear axle seals:
    8521652, 36 x 54 x 7.5

Outer rear axle seals:
    8521653, 34 x 52 x 7.5
    That's interesting Simon. Do you happen to know which gearbox has which selector rod seal? The earliest were BP3, and I'd guess that is the 12 mm one, and the later 289 (version 1 and 2) are 13, but then the later cars had, was it 330 gearboxes? Can't recall.

I've just replaced that precise selector rod seal. Slightly fiddly with the gearbox in the car.

I'd agree that the local bearing/seal shop might well have them.

Then so might Caravelle or Auto Paris in Melbourne.

Good to hear of a 4CV getting some TLC!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Toogood View Post
    I need some rear axle seals, a gear selector seal and a LH front upper control arm trailing bush for my 1955 Renault 4cv (750). Any good sources you know of? I'm pretty new to ownership of this great little car, so would appreciate being sent in the right direction.
    Hello Rob and welcome!

What exactly do you mean by LH upper TRAILING bush? TRAILING bush??????

All of those components are easily available, and Sunroof has given some of the sources.

Most importantly, have you joined the Renault 4CV Register of Australia yet? Many of us have little stashes of treasure....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's interesting Simon. Do you happen to know which gearbox has which selector rod seal? The earliest were BP3, and I'd guess that is the 12 mm one, and the later 289 (version 1 and 2) are 13, but then the later cars had, was it 330 gearboxes?
    The catalogue referenced the R1062, so presumably the 13mm seal covers the early 289 and the Type 3 'box used in the early R1062. The later 12mm seal was used on the late 289, 314, 330 among others.

As the subject cars are getting on in years though, it is probably best just to check the selector shaft diameter as the 'box may have been changed in the past at some stage.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The catalogue referenced the R1062, so presumably the 13mm seal covers the early 289 and the Type 3 'box used in the early R1062. The later 12mm seal was used on the late 289, 314, 330 among others.

As the subject cars are getting on in years though, it is probably best just to check the selector shaft diameter as the 'box may have been changed in the past at some stage.
    Thanks Simon.

I'm not sure which I used when I did mine a few weeks back but it isn't leaking so must have been right. I'm sure a 13 mm seal on a 12 mm shaft would have felt loose!

I have three different spare gearboxes for the 4CV, each a different type, and the one on the car lacks it's little aluminium tag but must be a 289 of some sort as it has the pressed steel base, whereas the BP3 had a cast alloy one.

I'm still puzzled by a "trailing bush". Hopefully Rob will come back to us and explain.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thanks for that, it does help - I'll check out these sites

Thanks for replying. I'm only going by the report I was given by the mechanic who carried out the safety check for a Club Permit. Though I'm not all that familiar with the suspension set-up as yet, I assume he meant the LH upper wishbone and the bush on the the trailing end of the wishbone. I'll follow up and check that this is what he meant. By the way, I am about to join the 4CV register (and I intend to take her to the muster next year, providing she seems reliable).

Hi, and thanks for the reply and offer. I would like to have a look to see if there are any parts I can use. My car is complete, but there are a few parts that I would like to replace on her. I'm retired so I can easily make time to pop up. Rob

Thanks for that info. It's a great little machine and I will be looking after it well. I don't intend to do a full restoration or anything like that and will keep it as original as possible, however I'll gradually fix any little things to improve it.

Rob

Thanks for replying. I'm only going by the report I was given by the mechanic who carried out the safety check for a Club Permit. Though I'm not all that familiar with the suspension set-up as yet, I assume he meant the LH upper wishbone and the bush on the the trailing end of the wishbone. I'll follow up and check that this is what he meant. By the way, I am about to join the 4CV register (and I intend to take her to the muster next year, providing she seems reliable).
    The Muster is pretty close to Ballarat, so no doubt we'll meet there.

If you need upper inner wishbone pivots I think I have a full set in a box, presuming yours is a screw bush car, not a silentbloc rubber bush car. I'd be happy to pass them on for something vaguely similar to what I paid. PM me if you are interested!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

I have all those seals on the shelf at work for a couple of $ each so I would guess that any halfway decent bearing shop does too, as our place is not all that fantastic. (I just work there!)

Hi, Thanks for that information, sorry about the long delay in replying. What parts do you have? Mine is a '55 model so has the star wheels, not the three stud ones, however a lot of the parts would be the same. If you have any suitable parts I would be happy to come up to Newbridge to take a look. I'm not restoring my 750 to original, but am gradually replacing any "dodgy" parts with better ones if I can find them.

Regards,

Rob

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that, it does help - I'll check out these sites
    Rob, a good site in the states is Jacques Rear Engined Renault parts (or something like that). I have bought a few R8 bits from him & in the course of one email conversation, I mentioned that I was after some of the rubber cord door straps that stop the 4CV's front suicide doors from whacking back against the sides of the car. "Yep, got those" was his response & over a pair duly came.
    cheers! Peter

Were you replying to me?

The front pivots are not the same on the three stud wheels as the spider wheels. Three stud wheel models have silentbloc bushes and pressed steel wishbones and spider wheels have screw bushes and forged wishbones. Since you have a 1955 car with telescopic shockers you may have the option of retrofitting the later wishbones etc - although why bother I ask? I think the screw bush cars steer more precisely.

Anyway, if you were replying to me, I have a set of inner upper pivots for the screw bush type suspension with telescopic shock absorbers and I don't need them, that is for sure. These parts and the other pivots are generally available ex-France mind you.

Cheers
    Hi, Thanks for that information, sorry about the long delay in replying. What parts do you have? Mine is a '55 model so has the star wheels, not the three stud ones, however a lot of the parts would be the same. If you have any suitable parts I would be happy to come up to Newbridge to take a look. I'm not restoring my 750 to original, but am gradually replacing any "dodgy" parts with better ones if I can find them.

Regards,

Rob
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information