Megane 2
  • Help

Thread: Megane 2

Default Megane 2

My sister had her first altercation with a roo on Sunday night, and she's now deciding whether it's worth spending $1000 to repair a 19 year/320,000km old car that since she bought it (8 years ago), her mechanic has told her will need the CV joints, clutch, and rear shocker replaced 'soon'. She only does about 7,000km a year, mainly highway driving (the joys of living 200 metres from work), which explains why it's all held together so long. The accident is also making her think of safety more. Which has me thinking of Renault.

Advertisement

Her N14 Pulsar is a great car for it's age, but everyone (especially me) is telling her it's time to go to heaven, and get something newer. She's always gets the car serviced every year, despite low k's, and can change a tyre, but sees a car as an appliance, that must be reliable and cheap to run. She also lives on the other side of the Black Spur, so I think she'd enjoy the drive of a Renault.

My Clio is too small, and looking online, I just keep coming back to the phase 2 Megane. They are just such excellent value second-hand, and have excellent safety if another roo decides to jump in front of her.

Is there any/many known problems with the Megane (manual)?
    Will she be able to get it repaired in a town of 3000 people if it breaks down (servicing can be done in Melbourne if need be)?
    Aside from the timing belt, are there any other significant servicing items?
    It's my understanding that the hatch is made in France, sedan in Turkey. Is this right, and is there any build quality issues between the two?

Lastly, is the Megane suited to someone who's priorities are running costs and reliability? She can afford repairs if need be, it will just sour the ownership experience.

You should search the forums for this, I reckon folks have been asking this at least twice before. In my experience, not many problems with the Megane 2, Engine mounts can get a bit squishy every few years (not too hard to change). I don't know of any long term issues with them. Mine was made in Spain (Hatch).

If she wants an appliance though, surely a Toyota would be more her thing...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thanks, didn't think to look through old posts. Corolla would be good, but resale on a Corolla is too good. She wants to spend as little as possible, so is looking around $7000. That gets her an AE102 or AE112 Corolla from late 90's through to 2002, usually with a drivers airbag, and if she gets a top spec one, ABS as well. All the Megane's come with 4 airbags, and ABS, and she's looking a fair bit newer as well.

I think it's mainly me that wants her to get the Megane, mainly because I'm so pleased with my Clio, and I'm more fearful for her safety if another roo or driver darts out in front of her.

Don't ignore the 1.6 Authentique. The basic model but still has most features and always cheaper. I actually prefer the 1.6 to the 2 litre. More revvy and a good performer. Ours has been very good no probs except top engine mount and will replace daphaser pulley/sprocket (cheaper on Ebay from UK?) next time the timing belt is changed. Common rattling problem on start up occasionally.

If a little more money is possiblewhy not the full sunroof model (LX?)
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I have the LX model, and I reckon it was good value at the time. Leather, 17" rims and full length sunroof for just a couple thousand dollars extra. Only problem is now I'm in love with the big sunroof concept and there isn't much available now to replace (New Megane sunroof is just a small tin one, not like the Euro version)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Unfortunately she's decided to keep the Pulsar. A relative of someone that she work's with's neighbour or something (country town) bought a new car and got told by the dealer she'd need to pay them to take the trade-in, because even a wrecker wouldn't want it. So my sister's taken it for parts and is going to teach herself some basic mechanics. The headlight is fine, and front bumber is OK-ish, so she's going to try and learn how to take them off, and put them on. Plus she's sure the rest of the car will come in handy in the future for parts.

It's a shame, as I enjoy car shopping, and I really wanted her to get a Megane, mainly because I like them so much, and they'd be so much safer than her Pulsar. As well as a hoot through the Black Spur. Still, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the Pulsar completely gives up.

A basic 1.6 Megane 2 in a manual is a cracking buy, and pretty much the safest thing you can get for 6-8 grand these days. Not a rocket ship, but nippy and economical and pretty reliable so long as you keep country bogan mechanics away from it...

And therein lies the biggest issue for your friend - mechanics up your way will just see a "poofters french crap heap" and treat it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    ...And therein lies the biggest issue for your friend - mechanics up your way will just see a "poofters french crap heap" and treat it as such.
    Happens everywhere. The two 605s I bought that lived in Toowoomba, were monstered by local idjits.

My brother is doing inspections on Meganes at the moment. There is a whole stack of them about to be auctioned at Manhiem, all ex rentals, all auto's, probably only 1.6 but not sure.
    One thing for sure, they will be cheap.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

They're all sedans - two smog mobiles, and three 2.0 petrols. The petrols are the same as mine - I better not watch the auction to see what they go for, lest I start crying...

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    They're all sedans - two smog mobiles, and three 2.0 petrols. The petrols are the same as mine - I better not watch the auction to see what they go for, lest I start crying...
    There's alot more than that. He's still doing inspections so there not listed anywhere yet. Dozens of them I hear
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

What rental company still had megane 2s I wonder? Hertz has stacks of Fluence and Koleos running around Tasmania though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    So my sister's taken it for parts and is going to teach herself some basic mechanics. The headlight is fine, and front bumber is OK-ish, so she's going to try and learn how to take them off, and put them on. Plus she's sure the rest of the car will come in handy in the future for parts.
    not your regular, out of the box, girl!
    lucky she has a brother to help her with the dirty and awkward stuff when she swaps the parts over.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    What rental company still had megane 2s I wonder? Hertz has stacks of Fluence and Koleos running around Tasmania though.
    Europcar had a heap of Megane 2 sedans a little while ago.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    not your regular, out of the box, girl!
    lucky she has a brother to help her with the dirty and awkward stuff when she swaps the parts over.
    I fear she's got bigger ambition than capability, and I'm almost three hours away so I'm not sure how much help I'll be. Still she's very practical wherever possible. She likes her car, it's only ever 'let her down' once with a flat tyre. I think she's hoping she'll be able to use some of the mechanical parts to keep her car on the road longer.

Sounds like there'll be a few Megane's coming up. Shame they're all auto's.

Thread Information