Laguna 2 V6 - What a difference a coil change makes !
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon14 Laguna 2 V6 - What a difference a coil change makes !

The Laguna is aging, it has lots of km's on the clock, and small things going wrong, but I still love the old girl
    I don't drive it on a daily basis, my wife does that, and on trips when I do drive I had noticed it seemed to be lacking a bit of accelleration- a bit dull, and a bit wandery on the road. When I checked the tyre pressures one was down to 27 psi - adjusted that so expected that the next time I would do a country drive it would be much better..

Then on Friday I had to pick up a load of books (car full) and on the way home, the engine started to miss badly, and when I stopped at lights etc, the engine rolling miss developed into intermittent surges, that stirred up the auto transmission and it would groan unless put out of gear, and then clunk when put back in drive.

It was really bad on the Freeway, so when I got home I checked all the front bank of spark plugs, one of the sagem coils (blue paint specks) in the middle was a bit carboned up, but its neighbour on my left facing the engine was a generic coil I purchased from Caravelle, and the plug was very clean and free of soot, the other one looked ok. and yes there was a bit of oil leaking from the front Cam box, soaked that up and cleaned the area - looked for my spare new coils and could not find them, so replaced the sagem coil I had swapped for the generic bought from Carravelle.

I didn't drive the car till Monday when we went to Echuca and the actual difference in the car was amazing, it ran so sweetly and while idling no groaning vibration with the engine fighting against the transmission discs, very silent and very smooth in its accelaration.

If its that good with two good sagem coils in the front bank and one generic that is excellent, I wonder how good it will be when I put in the other generic spares that I purchased from Ken. Incidently I run the more expensive White epoxy topped Renault supplied individual coils in the harder to access rear bank, and they never seem to give any trouble.

Advertisement

But boy it was like a new car, but as I said it is aging, and while the heater fan was kaput, opening and closing the drivers door window just a bit, caused the mechanism to start failing, and the wires quit and tangled last week, fortunately with the fan that I pulled apart and fixed now going great guns, the air conditioning climate control is also working again. Next job to fix the window, but no hurry its nicely jammed closed with wedges etc and while the air con works, it's just a minor inconvenience that I can live with while I explore how to fix the window pulleys and wires...

And now that its zipping along so well I still love my Laguna II V6.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    ...looked for my spare new coils and could not find them
    But your shed is super-organised!

I think the modern engine is much more critical on plugs and coils than they used to be. Fortunately, I haven't had a coil problem on the Scenic (touch wood) but the Falcon with similar coil/plug setup, I have found to have significant improvement to fuel economy (which I record religiously), and to just better performance and idling, when I have changed the plugs and or the coils, even when it hasn't felt too bad beforehand. Not that I over-service the car (Heaven forbid!) but I once changed the plugs at about 100k kms just because it had a backfire after a long drive (its an LPG engine), and I was surprised at the noticeable difference. Later, at about 120k it developed a very slight miss only when hot (after about 20km driving in very hot weather), and because it was 2 days before Christmas and I didn't want to be stuffed around, I replaced all 6 coils, and again a very noticeable difference to the whole performance. Even more so with LPG because it is known to require a good spark system, but still surprising to me because I tend to think a coil either works or it doesn't. Anyway, I've probably got 5 good spare coils, if I can find them!

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    But your shed is super-organised!
    It was once when I was a young whipper snapper like you but now it's more than unbelievable, but that wasn't the issue, several services back my wife cleared all the clutter bits out of the boot and put them somewhere and I just haven't had time to follow up on them.

Some seem to think my garage is perfect well at least a perfect example of a hoarders shed with Sundry new Renault parts mixed with sundry secondhand parts from many different cars, plus stored bits from my cars, my sons cars, and yes some of my daughters too, ask her about the Harris blue train genuine horn system, the dual carburettors, tools and sundry other items.......

and Fordman I think I will change over to the generic set of coil completely in the front bank, judging from the one that is there. It was just about the cleanest carbon free plug I have seen in the Laguna so another two should make sure of the fix!!

Ken

Are you building up a dowry there?

Thread Information