Dauphine dismantling advice
  • Help

Default Dauphine dismantling advice

Hi guys,
    Pulling the Dauphine apart and need some advice.
    Just taken all the nuts, bolts and screws out of the rear guard.
    There's something still holding it on around the inner door.
    I think it is the doort latch. Little plastic thing. Only screw I can see in it faces the lip where the door seal secures which means I can't get a screwdriver to it.
    Is it what's holding the guard on and if so how do I get it off?

Advertisement

Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

It will likely be the door latch striker plate that is still holding the guard on. There should be two screws holding it in place.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It will likely be the door latch striker plate that is still holding the guard on. There should be two screws holding it in place.
    There also fairly well sealed around there from under the gaurds so be careful. Sometimes its hard to tell if there is a hidden bolt or its just sealant. You'll need to carefully pry the sealant away without distorting the gaurd.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

OK guys after another unsuccesful day I need some advice.
    Firstly here's the plate that seems to be holding the rear guards on. Everything else is loose and ready to drop off but this thing is still holding it together. The only screw I can see faces the inside of ther car and it is covered by the lip for the door rubber so you can't get to it. What am I missing?

Also the front guards have a nut on the inside of the cabin just under the windscreen. On the drivers side I was able to get it off but on the passenger side it is covered mainly by the glove compartment. I've undone the two retaining screws on the bottom of the glove compartment. What else needs to be undone to get it out so I can get to this nut? I want to be careful as the cardboard glove compartment is in good nick.

In conclusion i have to say this car is a bastard compared to the 17. So many silly places for nuts and bolts and all so small and tight. Not having the fun I was expecting. Hopefully that will arrive soon :-)

Attachment 36147
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

You'll need to pop that nylon thing out (and it will fight you) and there will be two screws behind holding it, and the guard on..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    You'll need to pop that nylon thing out (and it will fight you) and there will be two screws behind holding it, and the guard on..
    Cool. I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

This is what it is shaped like and it kind of hooks itself in and doesn't come out easy i think from memory the rounded end comes out first, anyway have fun, and don't break it, they would be hard to replace.

Dauphine dismantling advice-034.jpg
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Hi Paul, whoever gave you the impression that restoring an old Renault was fun?

Have fun. Pete

1000+ Posts

Just went out to the garage and had a good grope...

In your very first post you said that you'd removed every last nut and bolt and I barely dare ask this question. Did you find the nut in the very top corner of the guard where it attaches to the c-pillar? Easy to miss if its got a liberal coating of grunge.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Thanks guys. Rear guards are now off and I didn't damage the plastic grommett thingy.
    Now all I need to do is get the nut/bolt out of the front left guard that sits inside the cabin near the windscreen (bloody stupid spot)
    To get to it I need to get the cardboard glove box out to make some room. I have undone the 2 retaining screws underneath the glovebox and it moves around a bit. Where are the others hidden?
    Nearly there for phase one of the resto and only 6 weeks behind my project plan :-)
    Cheers...Paul

Thread Information