Scenic not firing in cold weather?
  • Help

Default Scenic not firing in cold weather?

Just a quickie...

Anyone heard of a Scenic disliking cold weather?
    My daughter is up in the Victrorian high country doing a mammal tagging project and tonight she rang to say that the Scenic will turn over, but not pick up and run.

I did the fatherly thing: 'Ring RACV'.....

Will find out tomoroow I guess.

Advertisement

Timing belt?

Did you try a shot of brandy?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

TDC sensor.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Move to Queensland, I don't like cold weather either and that solved it for me.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default Scenic not firing in cold weather?

TDC sensor
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Agree with TDC sensor. First thing to look at as it is a common occurrence, and doesn't cost much or probably nothing. Possibly just a bit dirty and with condensation in the cold weather is "shorting" (not quite the right word there). It is located on top of bell housing just under the thermostat housing and air filter. Removed by undoing 2 10mm screws, a bit fiddly due to its location but not difficult. Then unplug the connector to remove it. It hangs into the bell housing and can get covered in metal filings from the starter ring gear. Just clean with metho or wipe off with a rag. I have found it needs attention about every 30000 kms, warning signs are sluggish starts and a bit of missing/hesitation on start up.

Another common problem is the sparkplug recesses get water in them, usually noticed after washing the car. I guess the same effect if it has been raining while parked. usually this would be a definite miss after start up, whereas the TDC sensor affects all cylinders so it has trouble starting at all.

Photos below of the TDC sensor removed and in position. The 2 hex head screws just above the corrugated plastic wiring harness hold the sensor in place. You can see the sensor in the picture if you look closely, most of it is outside the housing.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scenic not firing in cold weather?-2_tdcsensorlocation.jpg   Scenic not firing in cold weather?-1_tdcsensornew.jpg  
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thanks I'll have a look at the TDC sensor this weekend.
    Apparently it fired up this morning in Neutral, but I don't have the full first hand description yet.

We have previously had the 'plug recess full of water' issue, when one of the washer hoses failed and squirted straight in

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    The 2 hex head screws just above the corrugated plastic wiring harness hold the sensor in place. You can see the sensor in the picture if you look closely, most of it is outside the housing.

Good luck.
    Talk about renault parts bin mentality, that is almost identical to a 1983 fuego TDC sensor.

I dont know how much has changed, but the task of removing the TDC screws on a fuego carries with it a high risk of dropping the nuts down the hole into the bell housing or clutch.

Thats one job where a strong magnet attached to the spanner or torx , or a magnetic pick up tool in close proximity to the removing bolts bit can save you from an "oh site" moment.
    Jo

Edit, i just looked at the pictures again, and realised they have re engineered it to make the nut captive and the bolts on the opsite side to the hole.... Someone thought about that one for more than 2 seconds.
    Last edited by jo proffi; 19th October 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information