dauphine automatic issues
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default dauphine automatic issues

hi everyone was wondering if someone can give me some info on my dauphine, it has an automatic transmisson with pushbutton shift, when i put it in gear it stalls , if i roll start it without the foot on the brake it goes but soon as i come to a stop the engine stalls like its direct drive ? hope i am explaining this right,, please need help

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

push button shift sounds mysterious,been a long while,but my take on the ferlick sustem was that sensors on the gear leaver activate a solenoid which disengages the clutch till the gear is engaged then when you release the gearlever the clutch re engages via the solenoid ,if the sensor switches werent set up right on the gear leaver ,they just didnt work real good ,my guess is that your switch operates the clutch so has to be held in whilst engaging gears .or else you are trying to engage the gear without disengaging the clutch ,someone may have replaced the micro switches on the gear shift lever with the pushbutton you describe .try holding the button in whilst engaging 1st bring the revs up a little then off the button engaging the clutch ,you should be able to see underneath if the clutch arm is moveing when the button is pressed ,theres a big box in the engine compartment that has to do with the operation pu simply the gears arnt automatic just the clutch,not many of these servive as they were a pain in there day .PUGS

Pugwash is referring to the 1st version semi automatic Ferlec transmission - it sounds as though you have the 2nd version fully automatic push button transmission. In either version there is no clutch arm to see ( the clutch is totally contained within the flywheel ). I have a Jaeger Coupler automatic clutch in a 403 along with a workshop manual with troubleshooting hints -but this is no use to you with the automatic transmission. You really need to get hold of the workshop manual to see what has gone wrong.
    My 1st guess is that the clutch mechanism has locked up - if this is the case - you need a spare - as far as I can see from the Jaeger Coupler book , they are not repairable without enormous expense and much trial and error by an auto electrician . Unless you have very deep pockets , it may be time to consider replacing the unit with a conventional clutch and gear box from a donor car.

Tadpole

wow does not sound good, i guess i can try finding a workshop manual and do some trouble shooting, it was working fine this happened all of a sudden, if i drive it witht the wheels suspended it works perfect and goes therough the gears good also,

Tadpole

hi can someone direct me in the right direction for a troubleshooting manual for the jaeger transmission, i cant seem to locate one i tryed e-bay and tryed the net but i come up with nothing, thanks for your help guys

1000+ Posts

I will email you a friends phone number he thinks he has a manual. He also has a Ferlec Dauphine and although different may have similarities. He has no computer.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylou View Post
    wow does not sound good, i guess i can try finding a workshop manual and do some trouble shooting, it was working fine this happened all of a sudden, if i drive it witht the wheels suspended it works perfect and goes therough the gears good also,

I have a Dauphine Manual MR93 which includes information on the Ferlec Clutch in 6 & 12V.
    the Manual is 1964 but I can't see a reference to the push button selector
    It has trouble shooting guides but I am not sure if this will help

Mike

hi everyone was wondering if someone can give me some info on my dauphine, it has an automatic transmisson with pushbutton shift, when i put it in gear it stalls , if i roll start it without the foot on the brake it goes but soon as i come to a stop the engine stalls like its direct drive ? hope i am explaining this right,, please need help
    I've had a bit to do with the Jaeger coupler on a 403. The principle of operation is similar to the Ferlec as far I know.

To allow clutch slip the DC power is clutch is reduced by switching in a resistor. When the resistor is in circuit the clutch will slip , once up to speed the clutch is fully powered. The relay that controls the resistor relay is controlled by a speed sensor. This consists of a bob weight governor system that is between the speedo cable and the gearbox (in the 403 at least).

Once the speed is at near zero the power to the clutch is disconnected completely.

I would looking at the wiring / governor system.

Name:  Glenns 85s.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  Glenns 83s.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  90.2 KB
    Name:  Glenns 84s.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  94.3 KB

Hi, Here is a brief description from an American Renault repair guide about the Dauphine auto transmission.

There is also a Haynes workshop manual on the Renault 8 & 10 (pink cover), which has an 8 page description of the same system that was used in the R8 with the 3 speed, all syncro, type 325 gearbox.

Regards BobG

1000+ Posts

I have the Haynes manual I didn't realize the notes on the auto were in there. I can scan it and email you the pages if you send me a private email on here with your normal email address.

1000+ Posts

this is great ,you learn something everyday ,and such a quick response ,with this overview of the components and how they work shouldnt be too difficult to sort it out .PUGS

You are brave. It's been a long time since this particular device appeared on Aussiefrogs!

Now, I think I might have a photocopy of a factory manual for this curious transmission somewhere, so PM me if you can't sort the problem out and I'll see if I can dig it out. I'm not aware of a scanned version on line in English, but there may be.

One recurring service issue is the brushes on the flywheel that runs at engine speed.

Parts appear occasionally on ebay.

Where are you?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by BOB750 View Post
    Name:  Glenns 85s.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  Glenns 83s.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  90.2 KB
    Name:  Glenns 84s.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  94.3 KB

Hi, Here is a brief description from an American Renault repair guide about the Dauphine auto transmission.

There is also a Haynes workshop manual on the Renault 8 & 10 (pink cover), which has an 8 page description of the same system that was used in the R8 with the 3 speed, all syncro, type 325 gearbox.

Regards BobG
    Hi Bob,

I have the old pink Haynes manual I think, but somewhere I also have a photocopy of the factory manual I'm sure.

Years ago, Eurocars in Perth had an Automatic R10 in and, despite everything they tried, they gave up in the end. It went back to manual I think. I'd love one in a bizarre way though!

Do you know of any at all in Australia?

French car day in Perth today. Whooppee.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Default Id be

suspecting the little doover on the carby that tells the brain to declutch when the throttle is closed ,from your discription, but could be a number of other things ,cant imagine how a tall person would cope in traffic haveing to lean forward to press buttons on the dash .PUGS

Tadpole

thanks for all your help guys if anyone has one of those manuals in english that they want to sell i would b interested, i am just waititn to get this info on my regular e-mail so i can read it better . will let you know how it works out, thanks again everyone for your appreiciated help. Lou

thanks for all your help guys if anyone has one of those manuals in english that they want to sell i would b interested, i am just waititn to get this info on my regular e-mail so i can read it better . will let you know how it works out, thanks again everyone for your appreiciated help. Lou
    Hi Rob and Bob,

Just to let you know that I've sent an email to Lou direct (he PM'd me) with 26 scanned pages about the auto that are in my 1970 MR68 factory manual. The 1970 factory R8 manual is more informative than the earlier, more common ones, covering R1130, R1132 and R1136 models.

He will also get Peter O's email address, as Peter has a genuine manual for the transmission too and is happy to sell it for a modest fee!

So when Lou wakes up (he is nearly 12 hour's time difference from us in Perth) he'll have more information and a potential manual to boot.

Have any of us any knowledge of a genuine auto in Oz, out of interest? We know of the occasional Ferlec of course.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

thank you guys this is awesome!!!!!

1000+ Posts

Hi

I have a controller box and the gearshift used in the Ferlec clutchless models. Contact me if you want them they are of no value to me.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Hi

I have a controller box and the gearshift used in the Ferlec clutchless models. Contact me if you want them they are of no value to me.

P
    Ah, genuine custodian behaviour! There's a Ferlec 4CV in Perth somewhere but I guess you know that? Not being restored to my knowledge and last seen by me in 1989.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

Not really, JW. I got a dauphine in primer a while back and it came with so many "spares" as to suggest that I have at least one part from every Dauphine sold in the Southern Hemisphere.

The real trick will be sifting thru the debris to find the parts I need to put it back together... Only keeping the bits longe enough to ensure no babies go out with the bathwater.

Its only a matter of time before they are taken on their final drive.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Not really, JW. I got a dauphine in primer a while back and it came with so many "spares" as to suggest that I have at least one part from every Dauphine sold in the Southern Hemisphere.

The real trick will be sifting thru the debris to find the parts I need to put it back together... Only keeping the bits longe enough to ensure no babies go out with the bathwater.

Its only a matter of time before they are taken on their final drive.

P
    I can imagine. There are only so many Dauphines left! I'll take the Ferlec unit for Stuart Hames in Q'ld if you are ever chucking it out. I'll be driving to Junee next year and he probably will come across, maybe in the Ferlec Dauphine as it works well.

Or I could store it in case the car in Perth ever emerges again!

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

hey guys so i am narrowing it down to ben the govonor. the coupler tests pass and the other tests i did seem to come good. it might be the computer thou, does anybody have a govoner and mabe the computer they can sell me ?,thanks guys

hey guys so i am narrowing it down to ben the govonor. the coupler tests pass and the other tests i did seem to come good. it might be the computer thou, does anybody have a govoner and mabe the computer they can sell me ?,thanks guys
    You'd perhaps be the first person this decade to try and diagnose one of those transmissions I reckon. You have one rare automobile!

We see the odd Ferlec car and Ferlec bits and pieces in Australia, but all manual AFAIK.

I'd contact Jacques Rear Engined Renault Parts if I were you as a starting point for North America if you haven't already. Have you joined ROCNA?

Best wishes of course. Be great when you get it going again.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Unbelievably, there's an auto transmission for sale in France for $80.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/RENAULT-DAUPHINE-...item1e56e32e8c

Now, ebay France can be tricky and heaven knows what transport would cost. But it does show these things are around occasionally.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You'd perhaps be the first person this decade to try and diagnose one of those transmissions I reckon. You have one rare automobile!

We see the odd Ferlec car and Ferlec bits and pieces in Australia, but all manual AFAIK.

I'd contact Jacques Rear Engined Renault Parts if I were you as a starting point for North America if you haven't already. Have you joined ROCNA?

Best wishes of course. Be great when you get it going again.
    thanks john um no i did not what is that another site? sorry for my ignorance

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information