365 Gearbox Speedo Issues
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 365 Gearbox Speedo Issues

Since installing an early 365 gearbox into my 807 engined R12 (with Virage dash) I have had a slow reading speedo.
    eg 41 on the speedo = 60kph, 58 = 80kph etc.
    I am aware the speedo ratios are different: R17 is 9 X 19, R12 is 6 X 13 (thanks Sunroof)

Could anyone advise if it is possible to fit the R12 speedo drive into the 5th gear housing or can the speedo be re-calibrated? I have been told that the easy option is to fit an in-line cable gearbox to do the conversion which I would prefer not to do.

Thanks, Russ.

Advertisement

COL

Hi Russell

I have found that those Jaeger speedos in the Virage dashes read low, I have a 807 engine in my R12 with a 4 speed.

My speedo error is not as bad as yours but is still quite noticable. I was going to look into speedo calibration but have not done anything as yet.

Have you considered that your speedo is faulty cause I have had a Jaeger speedo in the old style dashes that gave similar readings to what you are experiencing. Maybe you could try another speedo to see if the readings are the same.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yes, you can fit the 352 speedo drive (worm nut) in the 365. If you can get it off that is.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Best bet is to pull the green plastic drum out of the 5th gear case and look at the colour. 365 should be light or dark purple and with fine teeth
    It is possible to fit the wrong pair but this gives big errors a speedo that reads half speed is actually going backwards. Murramor on this forum would confirm this is true
    Speedo pairs are either front drive or rear drive left or right hand entry and there are 2 different entry angles!!
    Renault use colours to identify the parts although this is not mentioned anywhere usefull. I have seen Red,Blue,white,purple and pink, so checking you should have the same colour on both parts, if not someone has been fiddling!
    The quality of the speedo heads is not great and it may be a sticky mechanism
    Well if it was easy everybody would do it

Tadpole

Hi Col, I swapped the speedo with a spare and found the same result.
    Thanks,Russ.

Tadpole

Thanks for the info schlitz & dauphproto, I knew I should have kept that 352 box I turfed.
    Russ.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Russell C View Post
    Hi Col, I swapped the speedo with a spare and found the same result.
    Thanks,Russ.
    At least it rules out the speedo being faulty
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

The drive on my 365 'box is green and is the correct one.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information