Electrics problem in 07 Megane
  • Help

Default Electrics problem in 07 Megane

Hi,

My wife took the 07 Megane up to the Blue Mountains last weekend ... SNOW!

Car stood in the open for 3 days, most of that covered in a healthy coating of snow. When she started it up to come back to Canberra the air-con/climate control was dead. The climate control panel display is blank and none of the buttons respond. Fan does not work.

I've checked the fan fuse and a couple of other random fuses in the cabin fuse box. All seem ok.

I've taken the lid off the fuse box in the engine bay, but apart from visually checking that the front fuse is ok I've not done anything else in there.

The cigarette lighter has no power. The illumination around the lighter is ok, but there is no power in the socket.

The top display functioned at first (displaying time and outside temp), but this has also ceased to function unless the stereo is turned on, and then the correct time and outside temp are shown.

Straight to the auto-electrician?

I was trying to ascertain if there was a fault before the fuse to the fan by pulling it out and bunging my multimeter probes in there. Don't know if I wasn't getting a good contact as I couldn't measure volts on a known good circuit (one I pulled the fuse out of, some lights stopped working, measured 0V, inserted fuse and lights came back on). I am correct aren't I? I should be able to measure a voltage on the pins of the fuse if the circuit is ok?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I was the one posting about using a battery recharger a few weeks ago. No I haven't hooked it up, in case you were wondering if I'd toasted something.

Advertisement

I dont have any specific 07 renault info, but maybe there are similarities between your car's issues and ones I've had in older models.
    On the series 1 laguna (the goon), the climate control would drop out due to a sub standard connection plug.
    Once I found it (with the help of AF) I simply cleaned it and gave it a coat of vasso and it never failed again.I believe haakon hard wired his.

On the fuego the fuse allocation does not match the picture on the fuse panel 100%. The cig lighter is ganged with the reversing lights.
    That one gave me a bit of grief.
    Before taking it to a sparky, I'd check all the fuses by removing them and run a test light or multimeter over them before reinserting.
    Its not exactly rocket science, but a bit of methodical effort usually pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    I was trying to ascertain if there was a fault before the fuse to the fan by pulling it out and bunging my multimeter probes in there. Don't know if I wasn't getting a good contact as I couldn't measure volts on a known good circuit (one I pulled the fuse out of, some lights stopped working, measured 0V, inserted fuse and lights came back on). I am correct aren't I? I should be able to measure a voltage on the pins of the fuse if the circuit is ok?
    I think thats how you measure amps, not volts.
    Try it gain with one probe on a good earth and the other on a fuse pin.

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 16th October 2012 at 12:19 AM.

Hi there,

My advice would be to check your fuses again - a blown cigarette lighter fuse (15A) will affect the climate control and change the operation of the radio (found it out the hard way!), your symptoms were identical to mine. Note that this fuse may be marked as the radio fuse.

I love how the radio still functions (kind of) even with a blown fuse :-)
    Last edited by Europa; 16th October 2012 at 11:11 AM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    On the series 1 laguna (the goon), the climate control would drop out due to a sub standard connection plug.
    Once I found it (with the help of AF) I simply cleaned it and gave it a coat of vasso and it never failed again.I believe haakon hard wired his.
    Any idea how accessible this is? Taking the dash apart is not something my wife would approve of.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    On the fuego the fuse allocation does not match the picture on the fuse panel 100%. The cig lighter is ganged with the reversing lights.
    That one gave me a bit of grief.
    Before taking it to a sparky, I'd check all the fuses by removing them and run a test light or multimeter over them before reinserting.
    Its not exactly rocket science, but a bit of methodical effort usually pays off.
    I think thats how you measure amps, not volts.
    Try it gain with one probe on a good earth and the other on a fuse pin.

Thanks for the feedback, and of course you're right about the testing the power to the fuse socket. A brain-fade on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    My advice would be to check your fuses again - a blown cigarette lighter fuse (15A) will affect the climate control and change the operation of the radio (found it out the hard way!), your symptoms were identical to mine. Note that this fuse may be marked as the radio fuse.

Thanks for that heads up. The radio is still working, but I will check it and the other fuses to make sure.

Anyone got a wiring diagram for an `07 Megane?

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Times]

Any idea how accessible this is? Taking the dash apart is not something my wife would approve of.
    It was easy. Not a dash out job, just removing a panel. You usualy need torx sockets to work on renaults.
    I'd follow Europa's advice first before removing bits of trim though. The KISS principal.

Jo

Thanks for that heads up. The radio is still working, but I will check it and the other fuses to make sure.
    I'm not a betting man, but I would consider betting on this one - I reckon that fuse is toast :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    Hi there,

BINGO!

Brilliant advice. You were spot on. It was the fuse that was, according to the panel, for the radio, even though the radio was still working. Ah, the French! Gotta luv `em.

Fuse replaced, and all is working beautifully. Thanks heaps for the advice, Aussiefrogs rocks

Thread Information