R10 indicator self cancel spring..
  • Help

Default R10 indicator self cancel spring..

Any of you old Renault men had much success with the spring that wraps around the steering column that is suppose to self cancel the blinkers?

Mine only cancels after RH turns but not LH...is there a trick to this or maybe my spring is stretched or is it just a design flaw..?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 indicator self cancel spring..-qqq.jpg   R10 indicator self cancel spring..-qq.jpg  
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Your car may be fitted with a RH wound spring instead of a bidirectional one.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

You're taking the piss right..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

When I posted about this, someone was kind enough to send me one which I put on my r8.
    Frans suggested I use a spring out of a crank seal, which can be made to do the same job.

Mine still favors one side over the other but both sides still cancel. I'd only had the car for 17 years without canceling indicators - bliss when I got them fixed.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    You're taking the piss right..?
    Me? Never! By the way, did you change your blinker fluid after 150,000 blinks?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

There are a number of different springs used on the various models:

750, Early Dauphine, Estafette, Floride R1092, Early Caravelle R1131, P/N 08 53 750 500, 92mm long

Late Dauphine, Caravelle (R1131, R1133), P/N 08 55 263 800, 102mm long

Early R8, Early R10, P/N 08 55 508 700,125mm long

Late R8 1100, Late R10, P/N 7701 000 365, 119mm long.

If the spring is too loose (or the column is excessively smooth or greasy), it won't grip the steering column correctly.
    Last edited by Simon; 15th October 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Extra info
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There are a number of different springs used on the various models:

750, Early Dauphine, Estafette, Floride R1092, P/N 08 53 750 500, 92mm long

Late Dauphine, Caravelle (R1131, R1133), P/N 08 55 263 800, 102mm long

Early R8, Early R10, P/N 08 55 508 700,125mm long

Late R8 1100, Late R10, P/N 7701 000 365, 119mm long.

If the spring is too loose (or the column is excessively smooth or greasy), it won't grip the steering column correctly.

I was thinking the same and will try some masking tape wrapped around the column under the spring..

the spring on my r8 with the thicker column shaft is attached to the lever mechanism then goes all the way a round the shaft 360 deg and attaches on the opposite side of mechanism.works 100%

Fellow Frogger!

Yes your right Potenz. The spring has to wrap around the column shaft, approximately 540+ degrees. Not just the loop shown in the Thumbnails.

David

Thanks for the input guys...I have my spring wrapped around once but it may be loose or the column is slippery so when I get a chance I'll remove the steering wheel and do some tinkering...it's good to get feedback that it will work if all the stars align.

I'll report back.

Fellow Frogger!

You are clearly a motorcyclist (z1? I have the baby version) so are capable of turning off your indicators.

No self-canceling is the better system I think, and I have been seriously considering removing the equivelant spring in my Peugeot. Citroenists may agree.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Check this link. The 19th thread. The old oil seal spring must be tuned to the correct length. Use your side cutters and cut them a little shorter until they return from left and right. More difficult after a RH turn.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...dicator+return

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    You are clearly a motorcyclist (z1? I have the baby version) so are capable of turning off your indicators.

No self-canceling is the better system I think, and I have been seriously considering removing the equivelant spring in my Peugeot. Citroenists may agree.
    I disagree. It is so easy as I mentioned. Why is it a problem?

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1000+ Posts

I am not sure whether you can still get them but once there was long lengths of spring material about 3 or 4mm in diameter intended to hold up curtains. Used to be able to get it a hardware stores. If you can still get it you can cut off what ever length you need and form a hook on each end. I've used it successfully on an R10. I might still have some if you fancy a drive.

Thanks Sunroof but I have a spring and a spare spring and a couple of old oil seals so I should be right, but I will end up going for a drive to your place sooner or later..never seem to get a chance.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I disagree. It is so easy as I mentioned. Why is it a problem?

Frans.
    No problem, and I admire the oil seal spring fix. I just find indicators that cancel when you don't want them to far more infuriating than having to cancel them myself (which you have to do on a motorcycle [and older Citroens] anyway).
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

No problem, and I admire the oil seal spring fix. I just find indicators that cancel when you don't want them to far more infuriating than having to cancel them myself (which you have to do on a motorcycle [and older Citroens] anyway).
    Getting the tension right is the hardest part: strap your home made spring up too tight and the indicators not only self cancel but swap to the opposite side when you straighten up.......

I'm with you. My R8 hasn't self cancelled since 1973, nor the 4CV nor the CX.... I'd never thought of the oil seal spring though! Brilliant idea.

These switches turn up complete as NOS on ebay France occasionally - I have a new one for my 4CV sitting in a drawer.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information