Ondines in Australia?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Ondines in Australia?

Hi, I just bought a 1:43 scale Route Bleue diorama featuring a Renault Ondine, and I wanted to check whether Ondines were ever sold in Australia. I know Ondine is essentially a Deluxe trim level (plus a better gearbox, too?) but my experience of Renaults here in Oz has seen many Dauphines, but no Ondines. Could someone clarify that point for me?

And, just for curiosity's sake, here's the nice little diorama, made by Altaya.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ondines in Australia?-renault-ondine-route-bleue.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmac View Post
    Hi, I just bought a 1:43 scale Route Bleue diorama featuring a Renault Ondine, and I wanted to check whether Ondines were ever sold in Australia. I know Ondine is essentially a Deluxe trim level (plus a better gearbox, too?) but my experience of Renaults here in Oz has seen many Dauphines, but no Ondines. Could someone clarify that point for me?

And, just for curiosity's sake, here's the nice little diorama, made by Altaya.
    No Ondines were sold here AFAIK. Simon will probably clarify a detail or three. Dauphines and Dauphine Gordinis at various levels of trim were it to my knowledge.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    No Ondines were sold here AFAIK. Simon will probably clarify a detail or three. Dauphines and Dauphine Gordinis at various levels of trim were it to my knowledge.
    Hello,
    I can recall seeing at least one Ondine version of the Dauphine in the early 1960's. This was at Roseville on the Sydney North Shore & it had a Seymours of Roseville rear window sticker. Harold Seymour was the manager / owner of the local Renault dealership. My father thought that it was more than likely an import. The car was a 'metallic gold' in colour & seemed a bit more upmarket than the then current Dauphine models.

Cheers,

K

Default Ondines in Australia?

Is the Ondine the one that had the different dash or am I thinking of the Dauphine version built under license by Alfa Romeo ? Had more gauges from memory and maybe a padded dash ?
    cheers,

John

Tadpole

Thanks for that info. Sounds like one for sure, but privately imported, perhaps one or two more via the same route.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    I can recall seeing at least one Ondine version of the Dauphine in the early 1960's. This was at Roseville on the Sydney North Shore & it had a Seymours of Roseville rear window sticker. Harold Seymour was the manager / owner of the local Renault dealership. My father thought that it was more than likely an import. The car was a 'metallic gold' in colour & seemed a bit more upmarket than the then current Dauphine models.
    Being a metallic colour, it sounds like it would have been a privately imported car, it would be nice if it has survived intact somewhere.

The Ondine (R1090A) was never originally sold in Australia. It was effectively a Dauphine Super Deluxe, having the Dauphine Normale engine with a four speed gearbox, and the Dauphine Gordini trim specification.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Is the Ondine the one that had the different dash or am I thinking of the Dauphine version built under license by Alfa Romeo ? Had more gauges from memory and maybe a padded dash ?
    This is the one ....

Ondines in Australia?-1093_lisandro08.jpg
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    This is the one ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1093_lisandro08.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	35288
    That's an IKA-Renault Dauphine "1093" dashboard.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I found this interesting link on Dauphines from Plane'te Renault -

http://www.planeterenault.com/1-gamm...ine-1956-1967/

Has a Dauphine prototype i've never seen before with front opening doors and puffed out rear guards and looks like bumpers similar to 4CV

Ondines in Australia?-projet_109_dauphine-1-.jpg
    cheers,

John

Thread Information