R8 sill scollops
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 sill scollops

Can someone please give me a clue as to what purpose the scollops have in the sills and bottom of the doors on our R8.

Are they cosmetic or is there a more pervasive reason?

Advertisement

Why I ask is that we have some new sills being folded up and they obviously will not have the scollops in them. I need to decide whether I remove the scollops from the bottom of the doors, or, create the scollops in the new sills.

Thanks heaps.
    Try anything once; except incest and folk dancing.

Banned

cant help with the sills, but just commenting that the good thing about folk dancing and incest, is that if you avoid one, you almost automatically avoid the other.

Can't speak for the bottom of the doors without looking, but the "sills" I think refers to where the Aluminium cover plate screws onto if I understand your question correctly. Perhaps the doors are a mirror image to prevent interference when the door is closed?

If you don't have these metal covers in place on your car, then that may be why you are wondering. They are decorative and service no purpose really other than decoration as far as I know. The R8 ones actually have R8 embossed/engraved on them, while the R10 ones (which should still fit R8's) just have "Renault" on them from memory (I'm at work). The covers are held on by a couple of S/S self taping screws. Hope this helps. If that isn't your enquiry, perhaps a couple of photos would clarify it?

KB
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

If I am any wiser on what you are asking, they are drains for moisture and need to be kept clean. Pretty much every car has them (if we are talking about the same thing)

Alexander... lmao at that reply.. never even thought of it that way. Ha

Thanks for the replies Kiwia and KB.

KB. You are on the money with what I am refering to, the decorative plates fit over them. Only problem is the scollops on the sills are recessed in toward the interior of the car and the doors have a matching scollop that obviously sticks out. If I put straight sills on (minus the scollops) the doors will not close.

If you are confident they are just cosmetic then I will modify the scollops on the doors by just cutting and replacing to make the bootom flat.

It just struck me as a strange thing to do for no reason other than looks. Especialy as the doors also have them. Was thinking it could have been to add rigidity to the doors.

Paul K.

The alum sill plates are scalloped, so if you fabricate the sills straight, the sill plates will not fit.

If you intend not to fit the alum sill plates, then they can be made and fitted straight.

Also importantly, beneath each door are two slots which allow water to exit from the inside of the door (when water gets past the rubber (often deterioted) seals). If the sills are straight, the water will probably sit there.

Angelo

Thanks Angelo, OK, so I dont have the doors here at the moment so I am going by memory and a phone call to the guy that has them currently. He says they have the scallops in the bottom, but you are of the belief that the doors do not have the scallops. If this is correct, then the reason for the scallops (as you explained) in the sill is to allow the water to drain out from the doors and not be trapped on top of the sill (where the decorative aluminium trim plate sits).

Are you sure the doors have no interlocking scallops thet mesh in with the cut out scallops on the sills?? If so this will make my job soooo much easier. Am more than happy to have straight sills and not fit the trim plates. Will just have to sort out the door drain situation.

Paul K

Without looking, I'm pretty sure the doors are flat at the bottom. As someone mentioned, maybe the scallops align with the drainage points on the doors. I'll take a look and take some pics tomorrow after work - too dark and late to go out to the shed tonight.

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Without looking, I'm pretty sure the doors are flat at the bottom. As someone mentioned, maybe the scallops align with the drainage points on the doors. I'll take a look and take some pics tomorrow after work - too dark and late to go out to the shed tonight.

KB
    Thanks KB, dont put yourself out though, my doors will be back on Sunday so I can wait until then. Jodie says I am being impatient, but once I get an idea in my head....

I have another important question but will start another thread.

The scallops in the sills are to allow room for the door drain holes. There are two drain hole "slots" in the front doors and one drain "slot" in the rear door. The rubber door seal skirts around the slots so they aren't really obvious. If you remove the scallops in the sill, there may be enough cushion in the door seal to allow the doors to close, but depending on the cush of the seal, if it is a dense rubber, it may also push the bottom of the door out. Then if the rubber seal is squished, it may also seal the drain slot at the base of the door, allowing it to fill with water.

In a nutshell, the scallops are there for a reason, so should be reproduced in the new sill.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

See attached. You will see the front door drains follow the scallops on the body.
    angelo

Thanks, with Simon's info and Angelo's pictures I can fully see what happens. I didnt need my own doors back, just needed the helpfull folks from AF.

Thread Information