Renault 17 Gordini USA
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 17 Gordini USA

How flash is this yankie R17 Gordini Decouverable ? Very pretty looking thing not sure about the USA bumpers though, look a bit tacked on (as I guess they are) ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item46088104a7

Advertisement

Some fantastic photos of the resto are found here -

https://plus.google.com/photos/10587...841?banner=pwa

Very impressive resto indeed !

Last edited by J-man; 10th October 2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added resto photos link
    cheers,

John

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Wow, that looks fantastic. Pity it's not yellow!

Alastair

What a fantastic job, pity its a US car, wouldn't be fantastic if it was an Aussie spec car.
    I knew US cars had drum rear end but looking at the front end it appears to have non vented discs like R12.

The guys who bought the US import here to Melb, the cabrio Paul Groome now owns told me that with the US pollution crap choking them to death performance was no better then our TL's.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post

Very impressive resto indeed !
    all the more given that it is said to have been purchased in its unrenovated state in April of this year.
    you can certainly not accuse americans of doing things by halves....

1000+ Posts

It is my understanding from the French 15/17 forum that US cars of this model didn't have vented discs. Wonder why?

Default Renault 17 Gordini USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    It is my understanding from the French 15/17 forum that US cars of this model didn't have vented discs. Wonder why?
    Sunroof, they used 4 wheel drum brakes on big V8 Ford Galaxies, Thunderbirds, Dodge Phoenix etc. so probably thought vented discs were way over engineered for a comparatively little Renault ! They didn't seem too interested in turning or stopping ...
    cheers,

John

Fellow Frogger!

Over restored being the understatement. 36 Bids and $24,342 later it still hasnt even met the reserve! How much have they put into it?!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    Over restored being the understatement. 36 Bids and $24,342 later it still hasnt even met the reserve! How much have they put into it?!
    Wow and I got one for nothing. Not that many years ago I had a guy walk in who was a priest from New Orlens and he had a 17 Gordini. No one in the states wanted it or knew what it was so he said I could have it free of charge if I wanted it. He would even drive it to a port for me, all I had to do was organise and pay for shipping.

What would I do with a LHD US spec R17G here in Melbourne, although the flip top lid would have been interesting so I declined.

My mother even said I could store it at her place in Oklahoma and use it when I came to visit. (Its amazing what mothers will say to get there sons to visit). But still I declined.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by dave_R16TS View Post
    I'm not at all surprised. Sure it's a lot of $$ for an old Renault when we are used to them being so cheap but if you presented any car to a business that restores cars and requested that standard of finish, I think you would be amazed just how much it costs (unless of course you do most of the work yourself). I had a quote/estimate from a highly reputable company in Adelaide to get the paint and panel to a prestine original finish on a 64 Compact Fairlane. My heart skipped a beat and I nearly fell over when he said $50-$60k to do the body
    cheers,

John

Thread Information