How to take front crank pulley off R12 1.4
  • Register
  • Help

Default How to take front crank pulley off R12 1.4

My renault 10 fitted with a 1.4 virage engine has developed a leek from the front crank. We cant work out how to remove it. Would someone be able to tell me how to take the pulley off? Thanks - Liam

Advertisement

dont know why the words "the front" got highlighted

Remove the securing bolt and use a pulley remover...you can get a three pronged puller from supercheap.

Last edited by 59 Floride; 6th October 2012 at 12:33 PM.

thanks for the reply, we have one of these tools here. The bit we are stuck on is how to remove the Hand crank dog. Non bolt type. Left or right hand thread?

1000+ Posts

Default A leek from the front crank ?

Quote Originally Posted by liamconvey View Post
    My renault 10 fitted with a 1.4 virage engine has developed a leek from the front crank. We cant work out how to remove it. Would someone be able to tell me how to take the pulley off? Thanks - Liam
    Hi
    Sorry to be a bit cheeky and probably unhelpfull. But a LEEK developed from the front crank Perhaps you should clean the dirt from around there that might fix the problem.

The starter dog will undo by turning the opposite way to the direction you crank it. Then a new seal may fix the leak.
    jaahn

It is a normal right-hand thread. If the dog is the "normal" R10 type that is round without flats for a spanner, there is a slot in the head of the dog where a sturdy flat section of steel, or a sturdy suitable size of angle iron can be inserted to unscrew the dog. Alternately, a stillson type wrench or vice grips can be used to grab onto the dog to unscrew it.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It is a normal right-hand thread. If the dog is the "normal" R10 type that is round without flats for a spanner, there is a slot in the head of the dog where a sturdy flat section of steel, or a sturdy suitable size of angle iron can be inserted to unscrew the dog. Alternately, a stillson type wrench or vice grips can be used to grab onto the dog to unscrew it.
    My standard method is to get an extra long cold chisel with a hex shank, drive it into the slot through the crank-handle hole, put a large shifter on the shank and whack it hard. Have to remove the bumper though. Always works. It always needs a whack in my experience.

And yes, as Simon said, it is standard RH thread.

The next issue will or may be the groove worn onto the sealing shaft of the pulley. I'd sleeve it myself - can't recall what those neat stainless steel sleeves are called, but one of the standard sizes from Consolidated Bearings is a correct fit. Put a bit of sealing goo behind it, in that groove, before you press it on, so you can't get leakage behind/underneath the sleeve.

Re the leek, I was going to make a comment too. Small area - expect chives more than leeks.

Have fun.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    My standard method is to get an extra long cold chisel with a hex shank, drive it into the slot through the crank-handle hole, put a large shifter on the shank and whack it hard. Have to remove the bumper though. Always works. It always needs a whack in my experience.

And yes, as Simon said, it is standard RH thread.

The next issue will or may be the groove worn onto the sealing shaft of the pulley. I'd sleeve it myself - can't recall what those neat stainless steel sleeves are called, but one of the standard sizes from Consolidated Bearings is a correct fit. Put a bit of sealing goo behind it, in that groove, before you press it on, so you can't get leakage behind/underneath the sleeve.

Re the leek, I was going to make a comment too. Small area - expect chives more than leeks.

Have fun.
    speedie sleeve

http://vsm.skf.com/en-US/Automotive/...ediSleeve.aspx

Hi Liam,

I've just replaced the crank pulley seal and fitted a speedie sleeve to my 1.4L R10. They were readily available from CBC and the price is right The seal was $3 plus gst and the speedie sleeve was $29 plus gst. I attempted to show a pic of the installed speedie sleeve but can't seem to upload photo's on AF at the moment.
    cheers,

John

I found on my crank ends, the speedy sleeve had an atrocious end finish on the open end which cut my (not $3) crank seal's lip and destroyed it on the first attempt at installation.
    After the end was hand finished with a fine file and then some finer paper, the seal went on effortlessly without damage.

jo

1000+ Posts

I have used these sleeves on both ends of a crankshaft as well as an R12 drive shaft. I put some Loctight under them.

1000+ Posts

You hit the sleeve on with the metal cap shown.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the input. We have it all sorted now and its going great. Contemplated selling the car a few weeks ago but have decided that it is going to be having a lot of work done to it to get it into better running order. Because its really at the stage that it will probably not be taken by many people other than the wreckers and it would be good to give it a bit more life.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Thanks for that.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information