quick fuego question.
  • Register
  • Help

Default quick fuego question.

Hello brainstrust.

Does a fuego have a spigot bearing in the end of the crank for the gearbox shaft ????

Advertisement

Splitting the gearbox, the donk does not have one, and has not had one for the last year but I'm now getting the noids on that there should be one there.
    I'm 80% sure there is not meant to be one,or else I'd have known about it as the gearbox shat itself, but the 20% of doubt is worrying me.

Jo

Oh well.....gearbox is getting fitted regardless.

Tell me later how much of a f###up I made.

Jo

1000+ Posts

As far as i recall Jo it has a spigot bearing, but the later clutches/gearbox/spline ditched the spigot shaft. It just puts more alignment strain on the spigot without that support.

I have an early R18?? spline that I use with the plain spigot bearing to centre the clutch when I refit it

Ken

Yeah, NG3 has one, UN1 doesn't.

Sorry... Recommend not fitting as is - if you're lucky you'll just chew out the input shaft oil seal.

Off the cuff, my thoughts in general engineering terms. If the input shaft is a longer shaft through the transmission with at least 2 bearings supporting it, then I can understand it does not need a spigot bearing supporting the engine end of the shaft. I am not familiar with the Fuego transmission, but I have seen some transaxles where the input shaft goes right through the box and can actually be removed by removing a cover plate at the far end from the engine. In one set-up that I am aware of (the GM Camira type) you could actually change the clutch without splitting the engine and gearbox by withdrawing the thru-shaft and then sliding the clutch out from the bell housing.

So given that the shaft is well supported in that design, the crankshaft spigot becomes somewhat redundant. In the case where the input shaft terminates just inside the gearbox, with only one bearing supporting it at that point, the crankshaft spigot becomes a necessary support bearing to stop the clutch end of the shaft "wavering" about. I know that if it needs one, and it is not fitted, or extremely worn, then you will get bad clutch shudder.

As there seems to be some agreement that there were some transmissions that did not have a spigot bearing as original equipment, I would have to guess that the shaft was well supported without one.

So maybe not a bad thing?

Ha Ha - now you have to make a decision.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thanks guys.
    I best get one then.
    This is a time setback i cant afford.
    I wonder if anyone in sydney has one, or if I have to lose a day waiting at the mailbox.

Jo

I take it this an auto or UN1 R25 crankshaft?

Ken should have them, they're just a bronze plain bush you tap in (I think...)

Hmm. I have doubt now... Got aFuego engine to check?

If the subject 'box is an NG3 with a J6R motor (ie an Aussie spec R1363 Fuego) there will be no spigot bearing in the crankshaft. The spigot bearing is in the tube surrounding the input shaft in the bell housing (the tube also integrating the input shaft seal as well as the spigot bearing).

So the input shaft will terminate at its nose with the spline that fits into the clutch plate. An input shaft which has the spigot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft will be longer and have a plain section on the nose of the input shaft that fits into the crank spigot bearing, then the splined section that fits into the clutch plate. So cast your mind back, which input shaft does your car have?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

This sounds right. I think my brain was thinking of R10 clutch jobs...

Ahem. As you were....

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8981/84662663.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If the subject 'box is an NG3 with a J6R motor (ie an Aussie spec R1363 Fuego) there will be no spigot bearing in the crankshaft. The spigot bearing is in the tube surrounding the input shaft in the bell housing (the tube also integrating the input shaft seal as well as the spigot bearing).

So the input shaft will terminate at its nose with the spline that fits into the clutch plate. An input shaft which has the spigot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft will be longer and have a plain section on the nose of the input shaft that fits into the crank spigot bearing, then the splined section that fits into the clutch plate. So cast your mind back, which input shaft does your car have?
    Thanks simon, thats the answer I wanted to hear.
    The input shaft is spline all the way.

Jo

Thread Information