Short Oil Filter R16
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Short Oil Filter R16

I am fitting an oil cooler with thermostat on to my Lotus Europa so I need to find a shorter oil filter because of chassis clearance problems. The WIX 51335 appears to fit the bill at about 2.5 inches high. Does anyone have knowledge of these or of another suitable short oil filter?
    regards
    Ron Murrell
    Lotus Europa
    54/2384

Advertisement

COL

Hi Ron

I use Mann W77 oil filters. I have just measured a filter and it is 60mm high.

These filters are made in Germany, I have also use Wix filters before and never had a problem. Hope this helps.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Tadpole

Thanks Col - The Mann looks good.
    regards
    Ron

Banned

i have Wix WL7168.
    check this out for a whole world of equivalents!

http://www.partsbase.net/part/wix-wl7168

the height on the Wix WL7168 is 70mm, and that fits nicely.
    the 51335 is really short at 60mm.
    i note the above list reckons the Mann W914/2 is the go.

Tadpole

I don't remember seeing an oil cooler on your car, Alexander? The mounting block for the thermostat and cooler takes up around 35mm of the space available so I was thinking that a 60mm or thereabouts tall filter would fit. I haven't done any measurements - just eyeballing (looks like I have just over 100mm in total) so I don't know if 70mm is doable. What do you think?
    regards
    Ron

COL

Hi Ron

Your other option is to fit a remote oil filter, but that requires some extra plumbing, just a thought.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hi Ron,
    Have you thought of using a remote filter. I have used them on many occasions when the area becomes confined.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murramor View Post
    I don't remember seeing an oil cooler on your car, Alexander? The mounting block for the thermostat and cooler takes up around 35mm of the space available so I was thinking that a 60mm or thereabouts tall filter would fit. I haven't done any measurements - just eyeballing (looks like I have just over 100mm in total) so I don't know if 70mm is doable. What do you think?
    regards
    Ron
    ron, i must be missing something . no i dont have an oil cooler. the oil filter on my car bolts on the rhs of the motor, between the frame and the motor. i previously found ryco R71 would just fit, but that is 79mm tall. the 70mm ones fit fine. but perhaps your car is laid out differently and i have never noticed!

Tadpole

Col and Ray
    I really did want to use a remote filter but I couldn't get my head around how to do this combined with a thermostat. It seems to me that the oil would only flow through the filter when the thermostat was open unless one somehow used completely separate circuits for the cooler and filter. This would mean 4 pipes and a convoluted flow system for the oil. I haven't seen such a setup although I have seen many 3 pipe systems which combine the remote filter and cooler without the thermostat.
    regards
    Ron

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    ron, i must be missing something . no i dont have an oil cooler. the oil filter on my car bolts on the rhs of the motor, between the frame and the motor. i previously found ryco R71 would just fit, but that is 79mm tall. the 70mm ones fit fine. but perhaps your car is laid out differently and i have never noticed!
    Alexander
    My car has the same layout as yours. To fit an oil cooler one has to fit a plate 35mm thick between the block and the oil filter, hence the space available for the filter shrinks by this amount. If there is less than (say) 105 mm clearance available, I am in trouble (35mm + 60mm plus space to thread the cooler on). I may have to dispense with the thermostat and mount a remote filter as suggested by Ray and Col.
    regards
    Ron

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by murramor View Post
    Alexander
    (35mm + 60mm plus space to thread the cooler on).
    regards
    Ron
    oops I meant 'filter' not 'cooler' - oldtimers disease!

Banned

oh i see. i failed to read your first post properly!
    in that case, yes, i can see the problem. i found that the ryco Z71 filter (79mm tall) could only just be fitted between the chassis rail, so as to screw it on. so if you are moving the threaded part on which it fits out by 35mm, you will be needing a very short filter indeed. still, one of the 60mm tall ones might just scrape in?

Hi Ron,
    My 5c again. I remember a GUD/Ryco in South Africa, that was as short as 60mm, that was for a Volvo of the late '70s and early '80s . I used them on race engines, as they were the cheapest, and were only used for 1 race meeting. I presume you are using the thermostat unit similar to the R5 Alpine I am building at the moment, see attached. I am using a Z71 (?) on here.

RayShort Oil Filter R16-image0115.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Tadpole

Hi Ray
    As I still have time, last night I ordered 5 WIX filters from the US for $20. They are the 60mm ones and are actually listed as being for the R16. The sandwich plate I am using is the MOCAL one. That engine of yours is a beauty! I would love to have alloy pulleys on my engine but don't have the facilities or skills to make them myself. Do you know of a source for R16 ones?
    RonShort Oil Filter R16-mocal-sandwich-plate.jpg

Banned

Default Short Oil Filter R16

Ray where did you source the adapters to mount the webers?

Hi Alexander,
    It came from Autobleu in Belgium, Jean-Yves Lardinois ([email protected]) , Do note it is for a Alpine/Gordini head. He gets from Meca Parts, but without any hassles and sometimes a bit cheaper. He posts via Belgium Parcel Priority, and it gets here about 7 days after cash is in the account.

They need a bit of work to match ports and carbs, these I was a bit more greedy as the head had been ported before and I had 42mm Webers, so it took a bit more removal, but now they are Awesome.

Enjoy,
    Ray geckoeng

Thread Information