New Fuego Owner
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New Fuego Owner

Default New Fuego Owner

Hi, just introducing myself as a new member who owns a couple of Renault Fuego's.

Have always liked this classic sports car and have recently got hold of them and now venturing into restoration. Up until now have been restoring some rotary sports cars of the early 80's, but have been wanting to get started on a Fuego.

Advertisement

Had a question about how to identify which parts to purchase for the Fuego, one will need an engine rebuild, but not so sure on part no's etc for piston rings etc... Both Fuego's are GTX-2 85' model...

Cheers!

You might do well to get in touch with "stew" who posts here frequently. He recently sourced some Douvrin rings for another member and has good, practised, mechanical knowledge.

I'd love a Fuego, too. It'd have to be midlife crisis red!

Careful what you wish for.

Jo

The paddock collection starts this week at Ganmain - I'll be punting the 'lingo down and legging it back on PT. Plenty of room for free, red Fuegos that are modestly roadworthy...

Or I could bring you a sackful of brown snakes as payment?

Cool, my black snakes are getting hungry.

Cris, welcome to the fuego fold and to AF.

What are you aiming to do with your cars, restore them stock or modified??

Jo

Administrator

Welcome, it's all down hill from here...

Being a Fuegophile is sadly a bit like the famous lyric from Hotel California.

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

Thanks for the replies...

What are you aiming to do with your cars, restore them stock or modified??
    Like to restore them to stock... but just realizing that the parts are a little more difficult to come by for these cars ... but I guess that is part of the process...

I ditched the fuego carb years ago in favour of EFI with none of those cursed anti pollution devices that ironically contribute to most fuego's getting shocking fuel economy.
    IF you are to persevere with the OE carb, it might pay to get aquainted with the 'octopus' of emission crap on the carby/exhaust/inlet.
    Seems to be the achilies heel of the fuego.

For parts, try ken at caravelle imports in melbourne. He has a quick turn around of parts and you may get them the next day if you are lucky.
    He has most parts that are freely available new, and knows the cars well so can decipher what a 'brown thingy' is, as oposed to some other parts suppliers, like renault australia who get really nervous when you order parts with just a part number and no vin.

Got any photos of the cars??

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Starting with a pair, beware they multiply!!

Quote Originally Posted by cris_adder View Post
    Hi, just introducing myself as a new member who owns a couple of Renault Fuego's.

Have always liked this classic sports car and have recently got hold of them and now venturing into restoration. Up until now have been restoring some rotary sports cars of the early 80's, but have been wanting to get started on a Fuego.

Had a question about how to identify which parts to purchase for the Fuego, one will need an engine rebuild, but not so sure on part no's etc for piston rings etc... Both Fuego's are GTX-2 85' model...

Cheers!
    Welcome

Now that is a good way to attract other lonely Fuego bits to your home and they do tend to multiply and before you know it, you will have a fleet of them.

Best way to start off is to identify the build date, its stamped on a small plate 5/85 would indicated it was bult in May 1985, then there are subtle differences in the series one and series two Fuego's. I would say that parts are relatively easy to get, plenty of new parts around and lots of good secondhand. You should still be able to get a complete set of pistons/rings/liners and all bearings and seals for the engine from Ken at Caravelle who is very good to us Fuego owners.

If you ask nicely Ken might even have an old copy of his catalogue of available bits (note prices have changed) and he brings in new parts both after market and original for them from time to time - you need the Haynes manual #764 - its not the easiest manual to follow, but o.k. once you get used to it. and there are Factory manuals that are excellent and member like Bob and Europa can usually come up with internet sourced material.

If you are prepared to perservere and work on the cars yourself, anything can be done with a little help from your friends on Aussiefrogs and parts sourced as you need them. Its a delightful car to drive out on the open road and should be trouble free once you get over the initial sorting out - when it has troubles its usually something minor like a hose coming off a pipe, so best to check rather than assume catastrophe !!

Lots of development work by Jo and Mistarenno to get a few more performance revs on the road, car has excellent cornering potential as long as you remember to go in fast but come out faster (if you back off speed while cornering that is a recipe for disaster in a front wheel drive car)

Anyway just ask if you need help and you will get lots of advice

Enjoy your cars!!

Ken

Thread Information