Renault Dauphine Proto
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault Dauphine Proto

Hello
    I should have made this my first post by way of an introduction
    I'm Steve Swan and live in Perth (Scotland) in the frozen Northern hemisphere
    I have been building and competing in cars a long time now, over 25 years in the former and about 15 years in the latter
    The Fleet is my Wife's '64 R8 Major much modified with 148bhp cleon motor
    Next up is my '65 8G an 1100 model which only the sump plug is standard (and it's new) 170ish bhp 1550cc cleon
    The Long Long Long term project is my '60 Dauphine proto which is intended to be 200ish bhp from it's 1680cc cleon
    The speciality of the house is gearboxes and some of the guys here on the forum know me for this reason.
    I have been working my way through the threads and have seen some truly thought provoking Ideas if time permits I hope to join in some of the debates

Advertisement

I know everybody likes picture (including me) so I should have posted the link to the Dauphine transformation I hope it works
    I have tried wherever possible to keep to Georges Quereon's original design, this is not easy as he probably had the car in 5 or 6 guises as it developed and in his closing remarks in a french car mag in the early 70's he was talking about an 1800cc BDA for more go power, this never happened, I am sure, and he went on to build and develop his own sports prototype.
    http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/...phine%20proto/
    Also if you are bored you can check out www.8gordiniworkshop.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk It needs to be updated but I never seem to have time these days It must be my age!!!
    Cheers
    Steve
    Well if it was easy everybody would do it

Welcome aboard Steve,

You sure know how to make an entrance, your Dauphine is a sight to behold and will become a valuable reference point for many here who have aspirations of developing their own version of how rear engined Renaults should be.

Looks great Steve, it seems everyone is making more progress than me, but I guess thats not too hard.
    Have you been competing with the car and if so how does it go?
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Welcome Steve,
    will follow with interest.
    Roger
    Once I thought I was wrong but, I was mistaken

Hello Steve,

I presumed you were "that" Steve!

Good to have you on board here.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hello Steve

Great cars, great work
    A big welcome

Icon12

Hi Steve,

I just love our avatars!!

I have read your website a few times and found it very informative, although above my ability.

I am looking forward to your threads and comments and so will plenty others on here.

Regards
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

G'day steve.

Iím currently undergoing a full ground up resto on a 61 gordini. I was wondering whether you made the wide arches or bought them as I am interested in getting my hands on a set of them if you have some contact details if you bought them it would be very much appreciated. As I can't seem to find some. I anyone else is able to help me that would be very appreciated
    Last edited by renogade; 24th September 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

61 Dauphine Gordini r10 running gear - restoration

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... thatís what gets you"

I posted this on my Dauphine thread:

The story goes the moulds were originally made by Georges Queron back in the 70's when he raced Dauphines in France and made about 16 customer cars.

The moulds are now owned by a retired frenchman who works out of his garage in Nice, his name is Mr Vallet and his phone number is 04 9373 4819. I waited till I had a french speaking friend around for dinner and asked him to ring Mr Vallet. I ordered the 4 guards and had them sent out, not cheap but I think they are worth it.

There are other kits available. "Strakit" is another one, not as good looking in my opinion. There is also another company in France doing allsorts of wide body kits, have posted their details before.

Hope this helps
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Thanks for all the positive comments. Hope I can live up to them!!!
    Trying to answer a few of the questions I used the dauph when I first bought it, out of storage after some 27 years, cut the springs with a grinder in situ (Don't) put on some spare wheels and drove it about rather leisurely, it felt like an R8 with a hinge in the middle.
    I remember my son being in the car with me (he would be about 5 at the time )and I had made the mistake of telling him it would be his one day. We went for it on a long,staight and slightly downhill road and managed to get the speedo needle off the clock by the look on his face he thought this was a great achievement and the fastest car in the world. It took me back to my Dad doing something similar in his '64 ford corsair (it probably managed about 85mph) when I was about 4 that's probably when the Rot set in for me

Panels my wings are quereon copies from a M Mifsud I will dig out his Phone no I had an old friend make the call on my behalf they are very nice and light. The bonnet is from M Vallet who alleges he has the original moulds,but even with my limited understanding of fiberglass (I make my own R8 wings ) the moulds would not have lasted this long and would have to have been remade

Finally a link to another album this time Liz's 8 which got the big refurb 2007-08 which sidelined the Dauph and I have never been able to get back on track untill now (so don't feel bad Ross My boy is going to be shaving before I get it finished at this rate)
    http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/...%20restoration
    Well if it was easy everybody would do it

Thread Information