My "New" Renault 25 GTX
  • Register
  • Help

Default My "New" Renault 25 GTX

God I love this car..... After noticing a small amount of oil seeping from my head gasket (Rear of motor) and a minor leak from my water pump i decided to invest heavily in some chemi weld and Nulon stop leak.. approx $50!

After putting said products into motor and expansion tank then driving 70km home... I pulled up and took note for around 15 minutes of any leaks... Nothing at all, not one drop of oil or water.

Advertisement

Seems the more I use this car the better it gets.. I love it and regret not getting involved with French cars earlier!

In saying all that, I have (perhaps) a silly question... My 25 is a GTX.... what in Renault speak does that mean?

I Noticed that some Fuego's are also a GTX model....Is is sports, luxury or is just a badge for the sake of it?

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

Cheers,

Al
    Trust in yourself when all men doubt you!

Grand tourer luxury I think. Sometimes oil builds up in the horizontally fixed distributor and drips down the back as the seal on the shaft can wear. Sometimes it looks like its coming from elsewhere.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Thanks TE... I'll go with the idea of Grand Tourer Lux!

I'll also check out the distributor seal.. thanks for the heads up on that.

Cheers,

Al

That's a really common oil leak on these motors and nothing to stress about usually. Pop off the rocker cover and give the rear right head bolt a quarter turn. Job done.

I bought a cheap Clio through online auction in January. Knowing what I know now, I only have two regrets, firstly that I didn't buy myself a brand new Clio in 2002, instead spent the last 10 years driving other cars, and secondly that I bought a cheap base model, and didn't spend my time searching for a pristine Priviledge 1.6 model. French cars were always strange to me, but now I'm so glad they're strange. The power from the 1.4 is great.

I bought a cheap Clio through online auction in January. Knowing what I know now, I only have two regrets, firstly that I didn't buy myself a brand new Clio in 2002, instead spent the last 10 years driving other cars, and secondly that I bought a cheap base model, and didn't spend my time searching for a pristine Priviledge 1.6 model. French cars were always strange to me, but now I'm so glad they're strange. The power from the 1.4 is great.

Just one question Gold25gtx, what made you bid for any buy the 25?

Hi Dan,

Good question.. For years I've had a 3rd "cheapie" car that i can leave at the airport and park in city backstreets without worrying about the odd door knock, scratch etc.

The only prerequisite is that it needs to be something "interesting" and as such prior "cheapies have been older merc s classes, bmw 5 series and more recently a Datsun 280C hardtop.... Nearly all of them have been 80's models

When i was made a ridiculous offer (one i simply couldn't pass up) for my Datsun from a Datsun Club member i had to look for another car. I actually didn't win the Renault on ebay but because the high bidder was a non paying ****** (Seems to be pretty common on ebay) I got a second chance offer and said ok.

When I got there the GTX looked pretty rough as it had been sitting under a tree for weeks and was covered in leaves and dirt and was pretty untidy inside... at least the owner was showing it "honestly"... turned out to be a nice bloke who was a bit pee'd off as he bought it for his son but the kid didn't want it??!!

But it started and idled nice and everything felt smooth on the drive home so I was pretty happy with the purchase.... Also, It's a bit of a hobby I guess to buy an older car and give it some TLC to bring it back to nice "acceptable" level.

I'm so surprised how refined this car is for it's age... when new it would have been an amazing vehicle for the time.

Thread Information