R10 extractor design.. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: R10 extractor design..

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Nice DIY. Glad I'm not the only one who cuts metal with wood tools.
    When you are measuring press bend pipes of various ID, does that sort of cancel out any accuracy in actual measured lenght???
    Put another way, does the increased velocity of the smaller section effect the calculations of length??

Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post

You could fill them with sand and measure the difference.
    I guess the answer to that would be, yes it would affect overall tuning but I'm not skilled up enough to be chasing the nth degree of performance from a set of extractors.

Having thought about it all these pipes have very similar bends anyway so the difference wouldn't be great.

Advertisement

Ready for fitting tomorrow...

The welds aren't pretty but they are solid and I don't see any holes anywhere, so I guess I nailed it.

I fiddled with pipe lengths before welding and then shortened the overall length to allow more room for a muffler and tail pipe which form part of the secondary.

The overall lengths from head to end of cone are,

1. 775
    2. 795
    3. 715
    4. 710

That's about 10% variation in tuned length so I've got to be happy with that...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-008.jpg  

Default Have a go lads it's easy..

OMG what a difference a good set of extractors makes...

The first thing I noticed was the much smoother idling, I adjusted it down from 1100rpm to 800rpm, nice.

Not much to rave about around town except the smoothness and different note.

The real noticable difference is from 80kmh onward, planting the foot at highway speed and she revs out freely and just wants to keep going so I guess that would be considered good midrange torque.

As this is a 53 year old car I don't intending finding out the top speed implications any time soon but I am rapped with the results. Pics attached..

Costs are as follows..

Plastic prototype $16

Bent header pipes and collector $85

2X90deg mandral bends $70

Hotdog and clamps $98

In summary the primary length is 760 and secondary is 1000 from collector to the tip of the tailpipe.

I welded a 90deg bend onto the collector and ran a hotdog muffler under the radiator and it fits like a bought one, now I just need to make up a chrome tail pipe and all is sweet.

The picture below is a good example what not to do when making extractors...note the difference in primary lengths and the merge from 2-1, this is an old set I have in my spares collection and they vibrate like buggery because they aren't balanced well and don't flow well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-005.jpg   R10 extractor design..-015.jpg   R10 extractor design..-016.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 2nd October 2012 at 06:30 PM.
    bowie likes this.

OMG what a difference a good set of extractors makes...

I am so glad!! Now at least there is another body that appreciates a good extractor. That extra hp cost very little.

Frans.
    bowie likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Default I have what I am told are extractors for a 10

I have an extractor for a 10 in my shed if you want a look SMS 0417379176

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a design for extractors for street use with a standard sierra 1.4l?

I am after pipe sizes, primary and secondary length etc., I can do the rest.

It seems 4-2-1 is the go but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance..

Thanks screwg1,

I am sorted for the moment but would you mind posting a couple of picks on this thread for future reference...?

Welcome to Aussiefrogs.

Graham

Interestingly with the new extractors fitted is seems the color at the tailpipe has gone from a sooty black color to a dark grey.

Hi, This proves that your extractor is working. It is a known fact that a good extractor exhaust system will cause your motor to run leaner, sometimes to the extent that you need to fit larger main jets to compensate. This is your opportunity to tune the carb for more power.

Cheers, Henry

Looks really good. Neat and tidy installation. The other one with the yellow background is hard to find words for.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The old extractors made the whole car vibrate at idle and low revs and the exhaust note was a bit like an old truck, The new ones by contrast makes for a smooth idle and acceleration and sound 'on-song' particularly at highway speeds.

R10 extractor design..-016.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    Hi, This proves that your extractor is working. It is a known fact that a good extractor exhaust system will cause your motor to run leaner, sometimes to the extent that you need to fit larger main jets to compensate. This is your opportunity to tune the carb for more power.

Cheers, Henry

Thanks Henry,

I hadn't considered upping the main jets though I might go up a size in primary jet. The carby is brand new and I really haven't explored the posibility of tinkering with it yet...I'll put that on the to do list.

Awesome effort, and awesome result from the sounds of things. I wish I'd been game to do this sort of thing myself when paying shops mucho dollars years ago, only to get very average results back.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308XSE Touring

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    ......have you considered twin SUs for a reasonable alternative. I am sure there are thousands out there on dead BMC rubbish just waiting to be reused.......
    As an old fart that's been there..... If you want to go down that road for a cheap experiment look for Stromberg CDs, not SUs, off a similar size motor - except that you will use 2 of them, not 1, of course. SU's were good when they were new, no problems, however, they are subject to mechanical conundrums in the piston zone as they age that will drive you bananas - the Strombergs operate on the same principle but they use a diaphram and thus remove at least one of the variables. As a guide to size, I have used up to twin 2" on a two litre.

Might be easier all round though to go the bike carby system these days, one for each pot

Nice effort on the extractors.

cheers,
    Bob

silly me - I thought I'd ask the question - my misteak. in case anyone is interested, Genie Headers (Brisbane) are willing to make up a set of headers for the Renault 10 for the poultry sum of $780 - that's not chicken feed - or is it?

I did mention to them that there could be a bit of business for them in that area, both in Oz and o/s - perhaps I should ask for a special price for 10 sets and eBay them myself?

BP

R10 extractor design..-image.jpgI paid $1500 for my set of twin weber setup but that included inlet and exhaust (although I had to supply the inlet tube then ceramic coat them separately ($250) when done).
    JohnW, R8 Dream, bowie and 1 others like this.
    KB

about $140 in parts including muffler plus $250 for ceramic coating.worth its weight in gold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-20150218_193521.jpg  
    JohnW and bowie like this.

Things have advanced a bit since 1950....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-p1010004.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

why the bed in front john don't trust your brakes?
    jaahn, JohnW, bowie and 1 others like this.
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Someone hinted earlier about stealing manifolds from BMC's, Is there actually some kind of bizarre standard head spacing size that allows borrowing of manifolds from different marques?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Kent View Post
    why the bed in front john don't trust your brakes?
    Funnily enough, since that photo, I've upgraded to spider wheel Dauphine brakes, 9" drums instead of 7" drums. Huge improvement. Same diameter as an FJ H*****n but a bit less weight, despite the huge number of grease nipples. Of course, with the advanced manifolding, speed isn't a huge issue......
    jaahn likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Someone hinted earlier about stealing manifolds from BMC's, Is there actually some kind of bizarre standard head spacing size that allows borrowing of manifolds from different marques?
    Hi bowie
    I never heard that but it was said Datsun manifolds might sort of fit. BMCs common engines always had siamesed center exhaust ports and inlet ports so crap design there that would not work.
    But the question of "borrowing" design probably comes from the fact that there was a lot of engines and other parts, even complete cars, built under licence in "new markets" over the years. Possibly more than you might imagine happened. Then when the agreement ended the production continued on with the same machines so the spacings remained. My theory anyway
    Jaahn
    PS the mighty BMW started making Austin 7s under licence. Even made three wheelers later too Tell that to a poseur in a current 4WD Toorak tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    PS the mighty BMW started making Austin 7s under licence. Even made three wheelers later too Tell that to a poseur in a current 4WD Toorak tractor.
    Here's another mighty BMW - very nearly broke in the early 1960s....

Pretty simple exhaust system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-bmw-700-sale-2.jpg   R10 extractor design..-bmw-700-sale-1.jpg   R10 extractor design..-bmw-700-sale.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hmmm, I may need to consider making a set of pipes for this bad boy when I finally get it running, I don't think the R10 muffler is going to cut it..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R10 extractor design..-nm.jpg   R10 extractor design..-vnb.jpg  

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Is that a Dauphine/Floride muffler ?
    Did they use the same muffler on 1100 Caravelles and R10's ?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Same muffler, slightly different inlet pipe I think for Dauphine/Dauphine G. Caravelle, R8/10 exactly the same I think.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information