Charging the battery in my Megane
  • Register
  • Help

Default Charging the battery in my Megane

Having just got into the camping deep-cycle battery maelstrom I now have a Projecta 2100 smart charger and thought it might be a good idea to give the starter battery in my Megane 07 a top-up.

(Yes, I just want to play with my new toy ....)

Advertisement

Is there anything special I have to do? Will bunging a charger on the battery stuff any electronics? Should I put the negative on the bodywork and the positive on the battery terminal as is recommended for jump starting some cars?

dont you have to diconnect batteries before charging them?
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    dont you have to diconnect batteries before charging them?
    Don't know! Do you? This is what I want to find out.

If I disconnect will anything screwy happen to the vehicle electronics? My Mum's little Mazda always needs the stupid stereo security code whenever the battery is disconnected. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    Having just got into the camping deep-cycle battery maelstrom I now have a Projecta 2100 smart charger and thought it might be a good idea to give the starter battery in my Megane 07 a top-up.

Just go for a drive and the batterie should get a nice top up.

I always remove my car battery from the car to top it up with the charger, and when i lock the shed up at night, all the chargers get turned off.

I probably dont need to be that cautious, but it doesn't hurt when there are little furry critters that sometimes cause shed chaos while i sleep.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Don't know! Do you? This is what I want to find out.

If I disconnect will anything screwy happen to the vehicle electronics? My Mum's little Mazda always needs the stupid stereo security code whenever the battery is disconnected. Very annoying.
    Hi,
    The answer to this is probably YES. Find out first is my suggestion.

You can charge a battery insitu under these conditions. The voltage does not go higher than the alternator normally does eg 14.5 volts and the charger does not generate ANY higher voltage spikes at any time. If you can be sure of this then OK ?
    cheers Jaahn

I had to replace my battery recently, the radio will need a pin number to restart it, the windows go a bit haywire too, otherwise no problems.
    I guess they are worried about your radio being stolen, must be a big risk for Renaults in Oz.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Gregbathurst View Post
    I had to replace my battery recently, the radio will need a pin number to restart it
    Oh brilliant. I have the original manuals, is the PIN buried in there somewhere?

I see you have the dCi Megane (I have the 2.0 petrol). I am kicking myself I didn't try and find a diesel now. Heaps more torque and fabulous fuel economy.

Is it also a six-speed box? I find the gearbox ratios a bit mystifying. They've shoved 6 gears into the same "ratio-space" I used to have on a five-speed Mazda. I often find myself using a 1-3-5 sequence as the other gears are a little redundant. The sixth gear is not very "tall" so when cruising in a 110 zone the revs are near 3 grand.

Always remember the motto.... If it ain't broke don't touch it....

Renault Australia have the pin numbers, just give them a call. They can also tell you how to reset the windows.
    The diesel has so much torque, you definitely don't need 6 gears. Mine has the 4sp auto (for the wife) which has less torque but gets along fine. It would be fine with the 3 speed box in the cars of my youth (no synchro in 1st in those days). It would also be better without the soft alloy wheels. I much prefer steel wheels for country roads.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

local little all parts place, with the staff that are nice to you even though you dont have a dunnydoor or foulcan and are aware of the existance of funny euro make vehicles.... Have a little box with an ordinary square 9v battery and a pair of flying leads that they attach to the car battery leads prior to changing a battery, saves a lot of hassles with dead car electronics.

cheers,
    Bob

It's a smart charger, isn't it?

They are designed to trickle charge your battery during periods of inactivity. You put the red lead on + and the black lead on - and switch the smart charger on. You don't disconnect the car battery.

They work, my two vehicles have been on smart chargers since February this year.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

local little all parts place, with the staff that are nice to you even though you dont have a dunnydoor or foulcan and are aware of the existance of funny euro make vehicles.... Have a little box with an ordinary square 9v battery and a pair of flying leads that they attach to the car battery leads prior to changing a battery, saves a lot of hassles with dead car electronics.

cheers,
    Bob
    What a brilliantly simple solution. Thanks for the tip for next time.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    It's a smart charger, isn't it?

They are designed to trickle charge your battery during periods of inactivity. You put the red lead on + and the black lead on - and switch the smart charger on. You don't disconnect the car battery.

They work, my two vehicles have been on smart chargers since February this year.

Dave
    Agree - it's what the battery chargers are designed for! I've also bought a Projecta smart charger, and have used it successfully on cars with and without computers.

A battery charger is going to provide a much lower current flow into your car's battery than jumper leads from another battery, and if it charges at a higher voltage rate than the alternator (14.4 V) then it is presumably faulty!

In short - if you can jump start a car without taking the battery out (and I don't see how you could jump-start it with the battery out ), then you can charge the battery while it is in the engine bay and connected. For peace of mind, connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals after connecting the charger, so you can see it isn't exceeding 14.4 V.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

As I understand it, it is about not sending a voltage spike into the electrical system that would damage the car computer's. (Or for that matter blow the diodes in an alternator.) For example if the charger is off when connected and is a good quality one then it probably won't do so when you turn it on or connect it. (If it is a cheapy then unlikely but who knows.)

Jumper leads from another car battery are the same, in that, when you are connecting them to either of the cars live a spike can occur, unless they have been fitted with a spike suppressor. I have just bought $200 jumper leads that will start a car, truck, or tractor (900 amps) that have a built in spike suppressor.

Electric welding on a car without first disconnecting the battery, hence isolating the electrical system, may cause the same problems.

When the RACQ roadside assist guy recently fitted a new battery to my Kluger he connected a suppressor across the car battery leads before putting them on to the battery and only removed the suppressor once the leads were tightened.

1000+ Posts

Just a thought. Why aren't spike suppressors built into the car as they are quite a cheap device. Perhaps they are already in some cars.

All good advice thanks. Yes it makes sense that if you can jump start it, you can bung a charger on.

As mentioned above, most decent chargers are spark-free and soft-start. The latter means they test the condition of the battery and then ramp up the juice in a controlled fashion.

The reason I asked about charging -- I've been doing some research about batteries for my camper, and it seems that one of the sure fire ways to reduce the life of a battery is to leave it partially charged for long periods of time. The other (slightly more contentious) "fact" I've learnt along the way is that car alternators are not designed to fully charge the starter battery. They are not smart chargers, and in order not to overcharge the battery they tend to undershoot and not charge it enough.

Is that correct?

Does anyone else regularly pop their battery on a charger to make them last longer?

1000+ Posts

Default Batteyr B-S

The reason I asked about charging -- I've been doing some research about batteries for my camper, and it seems that one of the sure fire ways to reduce the life of a battery is to leave it partially charged for long periods of time.
    YES

The other (slightly more contentious) "fact" I've learnt along the way is that car alternators are not designed to fully charge the starter battery. They are not smart chargers, and in order not to overcharge the battery they tend to undershoot and not charge it enough.

Is that correct?
    NO There are a couple of million cars out there, mabee more, that use a car alternator to charge their battery. Are their makers all mad and do not know what they are doing ? I do not think so
    Perhaps an independent 'expert' that is not trying to sell you something, is called for.

Does anyone else regularly pop their battery on a charger to make them last longer?
    YES but not the ones in a car being used regularly. If a battery is somewhat flat and you wish to leave it unused then fully charge it. Top it up ever 4-6 week if you want to be through. Deep-cycle batteries need less frequent topping up as they selfdischarge less. They may need a different final voltage also to an Automotive battery.

Jaahn

Thread Information