505 Front Brakes
  • Register
  • Help

505 Front Brakes

Just changing the brake pads on the wifes Series 2 505 GTi and i got the wrong ones for the front. I've got the right ones on order now and the auto shop will swap the sets over.
    What I'm curious about the different types of calipers on 505's and also mounting positions. Was it the GTi's that had different calipers or the Series 2 505's? BTW I haven't got a haynes for this car to look up either. Any info would be good please.

cheers!

Advertisement
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

I think any solid disc 505 can come with either of the calipers. It was just two different suppliers that Peugeot used (a bit like the fact that some Pugs have Ducellier starter motors and some have Paris-Rhone, or some have Ducellier headlights and some have Marchal). Australia usually got most of one and very few of the other/s when it came to starter motors, headlights, etc.

In Australia, I think most or all 505s sold here before 1984 have the Teves calipers, whereas most if not all sold after this have the Bendix calipers. I think this is just the way that things worked out for Australia.

As far as I know all the 505s with vented front discs (Turbo, V6) have Teves calipers.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information