my new tyers & wheels
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

my new tyers & wheels

well today i got my new tyers and wheels dance the tyers i got are sumitomo 205/50/15 htr200 they were $145 each i was going to good 195`s but they say that 205 will give me better handing so i just have 2 find out,i got then at cornells tyers at bexley he are the pics

Advertisement

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/john306" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/user/john306</a>
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Looks like a new car John, looks fantastic.

How does the car feel with the new tires?
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

John,

looking good.

Ask any number of local painters to match the spray can of the silver paint for the wheels to cover up those Citroen centres. It shouldnt cost that much I imagine.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts
    Oh I was going to say to keep the Citroen logos!

Nothing like a bit of family brand loyalty whistle

The look great Johnny - sounds like a good reason to go for a drive!

citroen_

Derek

the car feels so much better with good tyers eek! eek! well the michelins were ok,they say aswell i only had about 500kms left on them ,as for the citroen centers i will change them very soon for the pugs ones,
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

oh by the way i had 2 change the nuts on the car,the peugeot nuts did not fit the wheel so i had 2 go 2 citroen and by 12 new nuts which cost me $80,
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

John, congrats. Glad Brendon was able to help you out there. Let us know how those Sumitomos are.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts
    GTI124:
    Let us know how those Sumitomos are.
    You tyre geek you :p

Derek

Yeah, it's sad, I know. Test drove a Focus ST170 yesterday on 215/45 17 ContiSportContacts. Very nice tyres.

Oh, and I can't stand it anymore. John, it's TYRES, not TYERS!!! Sorry, just can't handle it anymore. The geek in me is suffering!!!
    - Lincoln

Or tires

I tried the ContiSportContacts on a S60 AWD, they were pretty good 17", I think they were 225/45 or something like that.

How did you find the Focus. I permit you to say nice things about a non-French car where warranted wink

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Really? I test drove HEAPS of cars on the weekend for a friend. But I didn't want to say much in here, as they were mostly non French cars.

Focus Zetec 3 dr manual was quite nice I thought. It handled very similarly to the 306, with very nice turn in. Plenty of grip and feedback. Tyre noise was low, which surprised me on the fairly ordinary Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s which were on the loud Mondeo I had in NZ. I thought the engine had ample power and a nice grunty sound to it. I didn't think it was course, but I haven't driven an Astra.

Focus ST170 was sensational. The engine is superb, not enough superlatives can come out of my mouth about that engine. For only having 3 more kilowatts over the GTi6, it felt like it had heaps more than that! It has a much smoother, linear delivery of power across the rev range. I never noticed the flat spots on the GTi6, but the ST170 showed them up. A very smooth revver all the way to oops! Didn't mean to bounce off that. The exhaust note was also very nice, much nicer than the GTi6 exhaust. It turned in with confidence, understeering a bit, but that's because my foot stayed planted on the floor. Trying to get the rear to come out a bit would work, but not as savage as the GTi6. Was very progressive and very safe. BTW, this is with the VDC stability/traction control turned off. I managed to get the inside wheel to spin through hard corners in second gear, which surprised me a bit. It's not a critcism I just thought there was a decent amount of torque I was sending to that wheel at the time. I'm used to an LSD and that just doesn't happen with one.
    It was a very compliant car, hitting potholes weren't as much a problem as I would've thought on such big boots. Quite similar in ride to the GTi6 again, which is on 15s.
    It has a turning circle AND 6 speeds, I didn't think this was possible according to Peugeot! The ST170 is actually a 4 speed box with 4 gears using the same plane which allows it to keep a decent turning circle. There's a more technical explanation for this, but I won't go into it.
    The spec level isn't very impressive, but the car more than makes up for it. If we got the UK spec car (climate control, cruise, recaros, xenon lights, sunroof, choice of colours) it'd be pushing $48K. I can see why Ford ordered 150 of them in one spec and one colour to get it down to $38K.
    As you can see I'm smitten with it. It will most probably be my next car at the end of the year.

BTW, the end result of all of this car shopping is my friend getting a 307 XSI, which now comes with sports buckets (nicer than ST170, although ST170 has nice seats), 17s with PZeroNeros and the option of a sunroof. As well as all of the mod cons you can't get on the ST170. In the end he's not a rev head like me, so the 307 meets his needs. Both are good cars, just one goes like the clappers!
    - Lincoln

Thats in total contrast to what they said in Motor where they reckon it had no balls at all and was a disappointment.

Yeah I don't understand Motor there. Maybe they got a dud? I dunno. Unless they are expecting a Type R engine or something? I like the low end power that it had, versus waiting for the turbo or the torque-less bottom end of the new Corolla Sportivo. I should pull out the Motor review of it in the UK where they liked it. In the end I love my GTi6, and this is everything the GTi6 is and then some (more refinement, a bit more power, same weight, better brakes, more grip...). To me it makes sense. Sometimes you just have to dismiss what the journos say, I just don't know what planet they're on sometimes.
    - Lincoln

Good on ya John, it should make a fair bit off difference.

Let us know how the Sumitumo's go, a few people I know rave about them and it seems they are worth a look.

Personally I would have ignored the tyre fitter's perspective on handling (thats like asking a builder to design a house) and gone with the 195/55's but the at least the 205/50's are much the same rolling diameter.

What are you doing with the 14's and old tyres?

Brenno, they're different to the Sumitomo's that I know, which are the HTRZ II
    - Lincoln

macquered:
    u doing with the 14's and old tyres?
    they were gone only has about 500kms on them
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

oh by the way i test the tyers 2morro went i drive 2 work
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Is the Zetec the 96kW version one?

I've only driven the standard 1.8s with their 85kW engines - the engines were an absolute letdown. If only Ford could have the sweet little 1.8 from the Astra - the car would be basically complete. The chassis is beautiful. I liked the gearbox, pretty good by Euro standards.

I think the good thing about the Focus is that it's a good drive, but it's very roomy too. To be honest, I'd probably find a Clio Sport too small for day to day life.

One thing about the 307, you can't accuse them of putting cruddy tyres on the car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Justin, the Zetec is the 2L, which puts out 96kw. A bit less than the 100kw claimed by Toyota, but it's a much less peakier engine. It had plenty of torque for three aboard. The ST170 is a Duratec engine, my guess is it's the same bock as the Mondeo, but with a different head and a fair amount of modifications. The gearbox was nice on both, not notchy at all. Actually my biggest surprise test driving cars was driving the Nissan X-Trail which had a smooth gearbox! A Nissan with a smooth gearbox?! I was amazed.

Anyway, all of this talk about Fords. I guess I'll be banished from these forums if I buy one of those!

Back to TYRES (or TIRES wink though, and appears Ford is in bed with Goodyear for most of their Euro cars, Dunlop for local. ST170 runs ContisportContacts and Focus RS runs Michelin Pilot sports (apparently specifically developed for the RS). Peugeot have a very nice choice on their cars, Dunlop Sport 300E, Pirelli P7, Pirelli P Zero Nero, ContiEcoContacts, all very nice tyres
    - Lincoln

GTI124:
    Peugeot have a very nice choice on their cars...ContiEcoContacts, all very nice tyres
    Hey, it's even better - they're ContiPREMIUMContacts

I have to say, the Corolla's base 1.8 100kW lump is pretty energetic with the manual. Don't care for the noise though.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

oops XSI comes with Pirelli PZero Rossos, not Neros. And my flat mate just put a deposit on one. I'll be driving a Pug again
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts
    Not that I need new tyres yet, but does anyone have any comments about Toyo tyres and if any would be suitable for my car? 195/55R15...

I feel obliged to support Toyo for a few reasons so if any of their tyres would be good for my car it'd be good if I choose them

Derek.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    I had Toyo Proxes on my Mi16 when I bought it. I was pretty happy with them. Compared with the Yoko 539s I put on next, I'd say that the Toyos felt more stable on a fast, tight (for the speed) corner, say at about 100 kays. The Yokos felt like the sidewall was a bit soft. The Yokos were quieter. I wouldn't have any problems with buying Toyos for an Mi16 or XSi or similar.

I'd stick with 195/55 instead of 205/50, too. I've been told that handling is better on the narrower tyres.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I believe one of the guys on peformance forums ran Toyos T1S's on his GTi6 and was fairly happy with them.
    You know what tyres I like though...I kinda repeat myself on how nice the FM901s are.
    - Lincoln

1000+ Posts
    Thanks John & Linc the tyre geek,

Read any reviews of Toyo Trampio Gu:wn (TPG) *- Sports High Performance - <a href="http://www.toyo.com.au" target="_blank">http://www.toyo.com.au</a>

They're better than Proxes T1S's according to their site anyway.

Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information