505 504 alternator switch
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 504 alternator switch

Have been looking to upgrade the external regulated 50 amp alternator on my '74 504 GL and have not had much luck finding a Delco Remy (10Si, 12Si) that would fit due to the 2 inch bottom bracket on the Delcos. I have however found a 70 amp Motorola alternator from an '86 505 GL that fits perfectly. The question is, will this alternator work in a 504 and does anyone know how to wire this correctly? My current alternator (Paris Rhone, below left) is a 3 wire, battery goes to B+ post upper right, ground to B- post upper left, ignition to EXC slot in center. The Motorola alternator (right photo) has, as near as I can tell, a B+ post (upper right), a B- ground (middle left), and supposedly an EXC ignition somewhere down below the B- post. Any help would be appreciated,

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 504 alternator switch-photo0540.jpg   505 504 alternator switch-photo0541.jpg  

1000+ Posts

The 505 alternator has an in-built regulator, whereas the 504 has an external regulator. I fitted one once on my 504 waqgon and blew it up (alternator not the car!) Surely someone in the forum can provide the details?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by rpieper View Post
    Have been looking to upgrade the external regulated 50 amp alternator on my '74 504 GL and have not had much luck finding a Delco Remy (10Si, 12Si) that would fit due to the 2 inch bottom bracket on the Delcos. I have however found a 70 amp Motorola alternator from an '86 505 GL that fits perfectly. The question is, will this alternator work in a 504 and does anyone know how to wire this correctly? My current alternator (Paris Rhone, below left) is a 3 wire, battery goes to B+ post upper right, ground to B- post upper left, ignition to EXC slot in center. The Motorola alternator (right photo) has, as near as I can tell, a B+ post (upper right), a B- ground (middle left), and supposedly an EXC ignition somewhere down below the B- post. Any help would be appreciated,
    Attached is the page of the 505 manual.

The 6mm stud connects to the main output to the battery.

EXC is connected to ignition switched 12v+ve via a 2 watt lamp in series.

The remaining connection needs to have the nut replaced to earth it.

You remove the exsisting voltage regulator completely. There is 12v+ ignition switched at the regulator position and you can use an existing wire to the alternator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 504 alternator switch-505-alternator.jpg  
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

In general an internally regulated alternator only requires 2 wires -- one from the ignition switch, which is the exciter circuit, and one for the output of the unit to the battery. Other wires, such as you mention, could be an earthing wire, although most units, such as Bosch, rely on the unit's body to provide an earth. There are also alternators, some Lucas for instance, which have an added connection to provide feedback from the battery to determines the rate of charge needed to maintain the battery in a full charge state.
    In order to fit an internally regulated alternator in place of an externally regulated one, you will have to isolate and bypass the external one.
    Personally I would also dispense with the original wire to the battery and run a new 50amp. plus wire from the unit's B+ to the battery.
    Pavel

Thread Information