VERY ****URGENT****
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

VERY ****URGENT****

im very angry at the moment!
    my car on idle seems to just switch off by itself...and alot of white smoke is coming out of the bak when revved hard...with either water or oil coming in dots on the concrete....
    it seems on idle..it drops down revs near around 200rpm and then goes up again...or turn off...and when revving it...even if my foot is down the revs still fall...
    wat is going on with the damn car?!! its just over a year old...it should not do this!
    wat are the possible reasons?

<small>[ 03 July 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: MR206 ]</small>

Advertisement
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

also the car seems to switch off sometimes while idling at the lights...even though at first i thought i may hav stalling it witout knowing...but now i know its more than that...

The white smoke has a sweet smell, and the car is seems like it is running on two cylinders? You have a blown head gasket. The glycol in the coolant produces the white smoke and smell when it is burnt. Don't continue to drive the car.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

NOT SURE IF YOU PUG IS A WET SLEVED ENGINE BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS

My old renault did this a few times and i found that the head gasket was leaking water from the sleve straight into the combustion chamber, Check whilst it is running to see if you raidiator hoses are presurising. this will confirm the head gasket is leaking

The problem with my renault was that the sleves are seated on rice paper gaskets sealing the water from the oil and giving the sleves the height to seal the combustion chambers. I am not sure if Peugeot use the same rice paper gaskets?

G

alan moore:
    The white smoke has a sweet smell, and the car is seems like it is running on two cylinders? You have a blown head gasket. The glycol in the coolant produces the white smoke and smell when it is burnt. Don't continue to drive the car.
    the smell of the exhaust is kinda like a rotten egg smell?
    but if im driving the car around...(esp this morning... the car seemed fine, in the speed and response so i dont know if its running on two out of four cylinders)

how hard has this car been thrashed in the last year??? i though new motors were good for about 5 years before things need replacing.

never thrashed...
    only on a few occasions taking up to around 6000rpm and thats it...u'd think it can handle that a bit...the car has only done 15000km...

<small>[ 03 July 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: MR206 ]</small>

eek! must have been a "friday motor"

how dissapointing.... still under warranty i assume?

yeah its still under warranty...im really stirred...coz i need a car this weekend...if i call the service department tommorow...would they give me a car for the time being free of charge?

oh and also
    i read dese problems that may be the problem...not sure though...

Stalling engine? Buy a new potentiometer and stepper motor. I fitted it myself in 25 minutes.
    Parts cost £145 inc VAT. Fault occurred about with about 43000 miles on the clock.

OR

Sudden increase in rpm or erratic rpm not linked to throttle input ( dangerous to drive)
    Fix : A sudden increase in rpm can be linked to a failed water temperature sensor.
    Erratic rpm has been diagnosed as failed coil. Both these problems have been put down to ECU
    faults, but the first two options should be tried first especially when the warranty runs out.

<small>[ 03 July 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: MR206 ]</small>

White smoke = head gasket!!
    Sorry mate, like to be able to say something different but very little doubt.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

if its the head gasket...will it be replaced under warranty?

The motor will miss worst first up from cold as the pressure from the cooling system has pushed in coolant after shut down, and the cylinder will have to dissipate this before it will fire. At idle this will be much more noticeable. I would say this is an isolated incident, and does not mean all new Pugs have gasket probs.

Should be replaced, no worries, with associated head skim etc. You may have to pay for fluids.

as u said i shouldnt drive the car? would it be ok to drive to the service centre...about a 30min drive?

Fellow Frogger!
    Would've thought it should be ok, if it makes it, and if it doesn't overheat. Did it happen suddenly? Or was it a slow onset of symptoms?

slow onset of symptoms...i first thought i was stalling it and not relising i did...but today i drove around and made sure i didnt stall it...and at the lights it turned off...

Fellow Frogger!
    I blew a head gasket in my 504 a couple of months back and there was a complete lack of power and it would keep overheating as the cooling system was being pressurised but never had the smoke.

I imagine an ECU would have a lot of problems with this and cause the stalling. It's probably telling you not to drive it, so I'd rely on someone else's advice with regards to the electronics, as I don't know how resilient they are to these problems. The warranty should cover another car though while it's being fixed and see what they do to it. If it's still playing up after I'd see if you can get a replacement ECU out of it. They should pay for towing too if need be.

Good luck, i know it's a bastard.

thanks everyone! u've all been helpful...hopefully the problem will be fixed asap and i'll never experience it again!

Are you going to take the pod off before you take it in?

Fellow Frogger!
    You shouldn't have a problem like that at 15,000km's??

I think Peugeot will get this "assembly problem" fixed without too many problems.

How can a head gasket blow so quick??
    inferior gasket material?, metal problem?, hope this is not the begining of a trend..
    Hope you get it sorted, it will be under warranty, and the should be NO cost to you whatsoever...
    You pay enough when you get it serviced..
    Good luck
    Adrian Colman
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

i havent had the pod on for over 7 weeks

MR206

Your cars still under warranty, get it back to your dealer, it's not unusual in these situations that the dealer will provide a car while yours is being fixed. Are you using coolant? I'd be suprised if it is a head gasket, despite your description of symptoms, I'd be thinking more likely to be associated with an electrical fault misinformation to ECU. let us know how you get on and how well your dealer looks after you.

Mrs GB had a auto box symptom early in the week on the C5, rang John Cant our dealer, who prompty organised a C3 for her while they worked on her car, all in all excellant service.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

If it weren't for the white smoke and funny fluids coming out of the exhaust, I'd blame the engine's brain.

My engine has had similarly wacky behaviour twice. Did you have any "anti pollution fault" messages? The last time it did it, it had very toxic smelling exhaust coming out of the back, the revs were bouncing up and down at idle and the engine was bouncing up and down underneath the bonnet.

But I switched the car off, let it rest and then started it up again, and it was as if nothing had happened. They replaced all the spark plugs at the last service just in case.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    My engine has had similarly wacky behaviour twice. Did you have any "anti pollution fault" messages? The last time it did it, it had very toxic smelling exhaust coming out of the back, the revs were bouncing up and down at idle and the engine was bouncing up and down underneath the bonnet.
    thats exactly wats happening...but no anti pollution fault is coming up...
    maybe the white smoke had something to do wit the cold outside...but i aint too sure!

<small>[ 04 July 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: MR206 ]</small>

How often is this happening?

Take it to the old dealer - let it be their problem. The ECU's memory is probably about to explode from the number of fault codes in it now

Get the loan car and it all. Lets hope they don't take you on a wild goose chase like a dealer did with MY 4.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information