405 coolant pump failure again
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 405 coolant pump failure again

had a second pump seal failure ,short term ,like only 8 months old,recently fitted a second hand ,but recently rebuilt motor in 405 wagon ,everything inside the cam belt cover was sqeeky clean and obviously new ,after a couple of long runs it developed a slight coolant loss, thinking i had not tightened a hose quite right i had a look around and found a leak from behind the belt cover ,constant drip from the pump seal on cold motor .I had the same thing happen on my MI couple of years ago, got stuck in COFFS HARBOUR on x mas eve, the motor i replaced had a idler pulley lock up ,snapping the cam belt , again low Ks ,is this just bad luck or after market parts . having replaced the motor i thaught i might have a break with this car for a while .Im doing a trip to Carnarvon gorge in a coupla weeks so am pleased its shown up now and not on the way there ,anyone else have this problem,PUGS

Advertisement

Too much tension on the cam belt perhaps? had you noticed any cam belt whine?

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Default the wagons a diesel

sorry didnt mention that ,the diesel has a spring tensioner ,the MI is tensioned manualy ,to much tension would effect the bearings before the seal i think ,neither of them was too tight PUGS

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    is this just bad luck or after market parts
    A water pump is like..80 bucks for genuine? granted i can get it below trade price. I certainly wouldnt be skimping on quality around the timing belt area (or anywhere for that matter).

Do it once, do it right
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Thread Information