Megasquirt - Who has one?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Megasquirt - Who has one?

I'm looking into Megasquirt'ing the 205 again. The main reason for choosing this brand is mainly cost as I have no worries in assembling, testing and installing all of the required electronics. I feel if I do this first, before any engine mods / tuning & prep for throttle bodies, it will give me a good head start for this work at a later date.

Advertisement

My main concern is the tuning and sourcing a map to at least start me off and have the car running well enough to get to work the following day. Has anyone got any maps to share so I can do this?

I will be going for the Megasquirt 2 V.3 with the sequential fire ignition module. I will also be getting the stim kit for bench testing the Megasquirt before installation.

.....kinda looking forward to this.

Mark

Oh yeah - Hands up who is running them?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    I'm looking into Megasquirt'ing the 205 again. The main reason for choosing this brand is mainly cost as I have no worries in assembling, testing and installing all of the required electronics. I feel if I do this first, before any engine mods / tuning & prep for throttle bodies, it will give me a good head start for this work at a later date.

My main concern is the tuning and sourcing a map to at least start me off and have the car running well enough to get to work the following day. Has anyone got any maps to share so I can do this?

I will be going for the Megasquirt 2 V.3 with the sequential fire ignition module. I will also be getting the stim kit for bench testing the Megasquirt before installation.

.....kinda looking forward to this.

Mark

Oh yeah - Hands up who is running them?
    Easy to get the car running, with fuel only at least.
    Just adjust the required fuel setting up and down until it fires, then adjust it so it idles OK.
    This will at least get it running. Other people's maps may not make it any easier due to different injector sizes, fuel pressure etc.
    If you are running mapped ignition it may be a little harder, maybe leave the dissy in place to start with in order to get it running.
    I have MS1 in my 505 and MS2 in the 205, this has a problem with the mapped ignition at the moment and I will be replacing it with an MS3 daughter board soon, hopefully sidestepping the issue, whatever it is.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Shadowpucci has one, on the 404... I have something alike, on the 505... (pucci had it on the 404 before the MS, and now that one, is passing to a 205 CTi (cabrio))

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Thanks Graham & Molerpa, that's exactly how I was going to introduce it. Fuel first then ignition. I will start construction as soon as it arrives and post pics for all to see.

I think, if the car now is running, is better to start first with the ignition, usign the original fuel supply, cause it is easy and you have less sensor and actuators to test. (just RPM pickup, MAP and the coils) and, if something fails, you can go back to the original ignition just connectin the wires to the distributor.

Then, when the ignition is fine, go for the fuel.

Default Mega Squirt

Hi,

I started off with MS1 fuel only, then added ignition control with MS1 extra, then upgraded with the MS2 card, now have upgraded again with MS3 and MS3X cards all this using the original version 2.2 main board which is now 7 years old.

The easiest starting place is fuel only using the current ignition coil as the trigger input. Controlling spark and getting a clean ( no resets ) non shifting ( timing shift when reved ) input be that VR or Hall is the hardest part of the MS system I have found. Personally I don't like VR inputs as they seem to give the most trouble to get a clean input, I have found that Hall gives very little trouble and is easy to set up.

You wrote that you would need to drive the car to work the following day, that has not been my experience with MS, its a system that needs more time than that to sort out, but maybe if all the stars aligned you may get away with it. If it your first dabble into fuel injection and tuning I would not suggest it.

They are a great system for the price and have many more fetchers that the main stream systems and its true DIY.

Derrick

Hi Derrick,

That's a good heads up and great history of your units. As for the mainstream gear, I just cant afford to go that route and with the MS, I can learn along the way. I am getting the MS2 with the PCB 3 and a stim kit. The other stuff can hold off 'till I I get the hang of what going on.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Mark

Mark

I would suggest the JimStim, as it can also do all MS2 extra stuff as well as MS3

Derrick

How's the build going???

That's one of my next projects I'm considering , keep us posted
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

Just bite off a huge mouthfull and chew like crazy!!!

With the aid of a timing light, a multimeter and an o2 sensor, you should be able to pull a conservative tune in a very short time.
    You can get a fairly standard map set of ignition advance, and with the o2 sensor, tune these points on the road.

I cant imagine your motor is too different to mine, and as you are not pushing the boundaries of performance, a home tune is totally achievable.

Of course if you dont know the way around the software you will achieve nothing, so it might pay to have some one who does know the software come over on start up day to help you out with the laptop while you drive.

I dont envy you having to do any major mod with the burden of time being a driver.

It is possibly unrealistic to expect to do an efi install from scratch in a day unless you are a pro and you do it every day.

You seem to be most worried about the tune......thats the easy bit. How bad can it be....not any worse than a 30 year old carby motor with defective emission control devices. (sounds like a fuego)
    I reckon I could tune it to go to the shops, in 30 min and I'm just a learner.

The instal is the curly bit and you can sometimes get hung up on the most stupid details.

Good luck, Jo

How good is the mega squirts auto tune???
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

The autotune of tunerstudio is good if you have a wideband EGO. I have see it working and its nice, for tunning the non-WOT conditions.

Donīt try to tune with a narrow... i have tried it and itīs a bit inestable....

Thread Information