GTi6 Tyre choice
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! trihardthlete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    434

    Default GTi6 Tyre choice

    Was wondering what people's choice of tyres for there GTI''s has been. In the wet the current rubber just isn't stacking up and I love the cyclone rims and am simply after something that holds the road in the wet.

    Suggestions please-

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    At the moment I have Conti comfort contacts in 195/60's on my cyclones, have to hold a little bit of the plastic liners back as it scrubbed a little as mine is lowered. Could always get 55's in stead of 60's
    They're are really grippy for a road tyre, I think you can even upgrade from these, but wow. These absolutely do the job!

    Here's a link - http://www.conti-online.com/generato...contact-5.html
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Very happy with my Bridgestone potenza adrenalins atm. Had the for about 20000 km so far.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! runabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    129

    Default

    +1 for the Bridgestones there is mark 2 series out now

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    +1 for the Bridgestones there is mark 2 series out now
    I'm running the re002 (or Mk2 as quoted) and they are extreme value for money and a good performance tyre tyre.
    Not as much grip as a PS3 but a better all round package.
    I just shod my mates ute with them too, as bridgestone are doing a 'buy 3 get one for free' deal which makes them better value than their competition.

    Jo

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    I would still go with Contiental, they just took out all the European tyre competitions last week and are the number #1 tyre company in the world.

    I got mine for $350 for 4 tyres, but Dad is a tyre fitter, so I would imagine them to be no more than $500 - $600 for a set maximum

    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    ....... Contiental, they just took out all the European tyre competitions last week and are the number #1 tyre company in the world.


    Is that a fact. I always pegged continental as a minor player.


    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Dad is a tyre fitter
    Can he do a good deal for froggers???

    I'm up for a new pair soon.

    Jo

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Is that a fact. I always pegged continental as a minor player.




    Can he do a good deal for froggers???

    I'm up for a new pair soon.

    Jo
    Yup, that is a fact! Dads work is a Continental dealer and he heard it late last week They took out 9/10 tyre competitions and come 2nd to Michelin in one

    One was for best winter tyre, best tyre in Germany, best tyre in Russia and a few other


    And I would think he could probably do something, they just got a fresh batch of conti's in on friday
    Last edited by BradlehGordz; 10th June 2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo haha
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Just spoke to dad, and he said to let me know the measurements you're after and he'll get back to you on Tuesday
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Just spoke to dad, and he said to let me know the measurements you're after and he'll get back to you on Tuesday
    cheers.
    I've never run continental tyres as the price always seemed too high against the competition.
    If your father can level that bias out a bit, I'd give them a go,

    195/55/r15 is my tyre size.....Where in sydney does your dad work???



    Jo

  11. #11
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    At the moment I have Conti comfort contacts in 195/60's on my cyclones, have to hold a little bit of the plastic liners back as it scrubbed a little as mine is lowered. Could always get 55's in stead of 60's
    They're are really grippy for a road tyre, I think you can even upgrade from these, but wow. These absolutely do the job!

    Here's a link - http://www.conti-online.com/generato...contact-5.html
    they are supposed to be 55's anyway
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    cheers.
    I've never run continental tyres as the price always seemed too high against the competition.
    If your father can level that bias out a bit, I'd give them a go,

    195/55/r15 is my tyre size.....Where in sydney does your dad work???



    Jo
    the 55's are a bit more than the 60's but they should be cheaper than the bridgestones still and he doesn't work in Sydeny, but in Narellan

    What type of tyre are you looking for? Similar to the RE002's I'm guessing?

    I'll get back to you on Tuesday with the price/(s)
    Last edited by BradlehGordz; 10th June 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    they are supposed to be 55's anyway
    I haven't tried the 55's CC5's but I think the 60's in the CC5's are an amazing ride

    Will be getting the 55's next time for a comparison
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mount Waverley
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Gti6 and S16 came with 55s... and the speedo would be off if you use 60s? i also read somewhere else there's a compliance rule for tyres that your new tyres' OD should be within a certain % of the stock ones..... if not your speedo would be very off....

    my S16 has RE001 on it currently and they're quite good for me....
    306 S16

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! trihardthlete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Cheers for the advice, will definetly be takjingit on board.


    Will be a bit off as $$$ is always a problem. Need to hit the net and see who has some deals coming up.

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts Capago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hornsby, NSW
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    yokohama c-drive and nothing else! i swear black and blue by these tyres, around 220 a pop but you'll be thanking me later
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    yokohama c-drive and nothing else! i swear black and blue by these tyres, around 220 a pop but you'll be thanking me later
    v1 or v2???

    The v1 was extra reinforced and brutal.

    Jo

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts Capago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hornsby, NSW
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    no idea lol this is going back about 2-3 years or so
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Im rolling in Toyo Proxes T1R. They are pretty good value. Excellent grip (in the wet especially), maybe slightly on the spongy side. We'll see how long i get from them though...

    Worth a look... $180 i think a corner.

    next one up was the R1R proxes...road legal semi slick i think...

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! BradlehGordz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcmike View Post
    Gti6 and S16 came with 55s... and the speedo would be off if you use 60s? i also read somewhere else there's a compliance rule for tyres that your new tyres' OD should be within a certain % of the stock ones..... if not your speedo would be very off....

    my S16 has RE001 on it currently and they're quite good for me....
    Speedo is fine still Checked it with a GPS and it is spot on
    P-Plater

    Obsession for le Peugeot!

    Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

    Previous:
    '99 306Style

    I live for the 6!

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradlehGordz View Post
    Speedo is fine still Checked it with a GPS and it is spot on

    3.3% out

    Speedo says 100kph, you are actually doing 103.3kph. Careful of those speed cameras mate.

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobomacho View Post
    3.3% out

    Speedo says 100kph, you are actually doing 103.3kph. Careful of those speed cameras mate.
    Wouldn't it just be the gearing that is effected? The wheels are still going around at a certain speed,ie 100km/h and the speedo cable (on a 205 say) measures exactly that to your speedometer...

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Wouldn't it just be the gearing that is effected? The wheels are still going around at a certain speed,ie 100km/h and the speedo cable (on a 205 say) measures exactly that to your speedometer...
    um....no.

    Think of the speedo measuring the drive shaft/wheel rotations, with the numbers on the gauge calibrated with a certain tyre circumference in mind.
    IT is blind to the amount of road traveling past.

    At your 100km and a given wheel rotation speed, a reduction in tyre size would reduce the distance covered at the same wheel rotation speed, therefore the speedo would read over.

    If you increase the tyre size, the distance traveled per rotation will increase and the speedo which reads 100km/h will be under the real speed.


    Jo

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    265

    Default

    The speedo cable is calibrated to a certain wheel turn rate on OE wheel/tyres. If you have a larger circumference wheel/tyre combination, in order to complete one full revolution of the wheel you cover more ground distance. 100kph speedo = 100+kph real

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts pug-life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    um....no.

    Think of the speedo measuring the drive shaft/wheel rotations, with the numbers on the gauge calibrated with a certain tyre circumference in mind.
    IT is blind to the amount of road traveling past.

    At your 100km and a given wheel rotation speed, a reduction in tyre size would reduce the distance covered at the same wheel rotation speed, therefore the speedo would read over.

    If you increase the tyre size, the distance traveled per rotation will increase and the speedo which reads 100km/h will be under the real speed.


    Jo
    Ah yes I see!
    Well explained

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •