Hello ALL :-)
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hello ALL :-)

Tadpole

Default Hello ALL :-)

Hi All, a newbie to the Aussiefrogs forums, a couple of days ago I brought a 1983 Peugeot 505 GTi and just wanted to chat to the people here and find out as much info as possible

Advertisement

Cheers and have a good one :-)

Heath

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by HJW001 View Post
    Hi All, a newbie to the Aussiefrogs forums, a couple of days ago I brought a 1983 Peugeot 505 GTi and just wanted to chat to the people here and find out as much info as possible
    Cheers and have a good one :-)

Heath
    G'day Heath,
    you have come to the right place for all things Peugeot. There are all sorts of experts here, not including me, who just mouths off every now and again.
    Have a look in the events section, there is the All French car Day at Silverwater coming on 15/7/12 and the Battle of Waterloo in Canberra on 17/6/12, [actually not in the sticky section, but a few lines down.] Come and meet some Froggies, we are mostly harmless.

Whoops, just had another look, where is George Town? Tas ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Tadpole

Hey, yeah George Town is right up top in the middle pretty much, 50 kays north of Launceston. Yeah I thought it would be a good place to have a yarn etc, maybe even find some parts if there is any laying around lol

Icon6

G'day,
    are there many other French cars in George Town ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Tadpole

Ahh not a great deal, few newer model 206's etc, but pretty sure mine is the only classic lol I do have a Chysler Centura out the back, I found out a year or so ago was actually made in france under the name Simca

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Welcome to Aussiefrogs Heath!

I don't know a whole lot about 505s, 504s are more my thing. You say your 505 is a 1983 GTI? I'd question that, if it is actually from 1983 it's probably actually an STI or maybe a GR. GTIs came onto the market around 1985. STIs and GTIs are quite similar though. They have virtually the same engine but STIs use mechanical injection and GTIs are EFI. There are some differences in suspension and trim as well. Post some pics, we'll soon sort it out. Is it auto or manual?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Tadpole

LOL sorry you are correct, I was reading something on Google and got GTi imprinted on my brain, sorry it is an STi, (having a blonde moment lol)

Icon6

LOL sorry you are correct, I was reading something on Google and got GTi imprinted on my brain, sorry it is an STi, (having a blonde moment lol)
    G'day,
    don't worry, there are plenty of them around here...
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Tadpole

Couldn't complain though, brought it for $600 and came with 6 months rego, does need a few things though, like a passenger interior door handle, interior heater/fan doesn't work. but apart from that all standard with original service history

Icon6

G'day,
    ie, $100-00 per month. You couldn't rent a wreck for that.
    If your weather is like ours at the moment, Sydney, you will need to get the heater fixed. Bloody cold up here.

How about some pics?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

1000+ Posts

Couldn't complain though, brought it for $600 and came with 6 months rego, does need a few things though, like a passenger interior door handle, interior heater/fan doesn't work. but apart from that all standard with original service history
    Nice to see another 505 devotee in Tas. There's not many left these days. If you need some help with parts or other things, let me know. I get stuff to Launny fairly easily even if I'm travelling north myself.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Tadpole

That would be good pugnut, what's the go with parts in tassie, let alone the rest of oz? Yeah tassie is getting very very cold lol anyone had their heaters go belly up??

My 504 heater was shot when I got it, just needed to flush the heater core out (there are a few posts on how to do this in a 504, I don't know how similar the 505 heater is!)

Welcome to the froggy crew!

Tadpole

Not sure about the heater itself, if you turn it on 1 through to 4 there is no fan sound at all, so I'm still stumped.

If it's just the fan that's not working, there are a couple of common causes in S1 505s.

One, the fan itself can die.

Two, the fan speed controller transistor goes open. They can also go short, but that causes the fan to be on full speed all the time, so probably not your problem!

The way to tell if the controller transistor is dead, is to put it on full speed. This bypasses the transistor. If it works, the transistor is dead. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

The speed controller transistor on a series one is bolted to the engine bay between the passenger side strut tower and the fan itself. It is on a 'U'-shaped aluminium bracket, and is easily replaced.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

Cheers, thanks Scotty, will have a look tomorrow, where would be the best place to buy one from if that is the problem? The fan doesn't work at all on full speed, so might be the transistor, Cheers mate

Theres a wrecker in Geelong (vic) that has surplus amounts of 505's & parts. He's charges like a wounded bull though so be careful.

Euro City Motors is the workshop.

Tadpole

Ahh cool thanks, going to order a power transistor soon, see if that fixes the blower fan, might be the cheaoest option at the moment, but thanks for all the help guys.

Still in need of:

interior door handle for passenger side

rear door window winder handle

apart from that mainly all complete

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Default Not the transistor...

[QUOTE=Demannu;1070741
    The way to tell if the controller transistor is dead, is to put it on full speed. This bypasses the transistor. If it works, the transistor is dead. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

[/QUOTE]

Demannu is saying that if the fan DOES work on full speed (but not on other settings) then the transistor is stuffed. Otherwise it'll be the fan motor itself .

Since yours DOESN'T work on full speed, sounds like you need to look at the motor. I wonder if it's possible to run a wire direct from battery to confirm?

Do these motors have brushes that wear out (like Xantia/306 radiator fans)?

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

Thanks Alec, was hoping if I changed it I might if gotten lucky lol, so does anyone know if the blower fans can be repaired, can't find one anywhere on ebay etc

Default Hello ALL :-)

As everyone says, welcome, it is great to have another 505 Sti owner in Tas, I have several 505 STi's and live Devonport, as far as your heater fan goes, they can be repaired depending on what's wrong and your skill level or access to someone who can fix them, may be just brushes? It could also be the switch in the dash but they seem pretty reliable, easy to tell by disconnecting and bridging the wires. The fan can be a real pain to remove as they are under some insulation, usually very brittle by now and have some tricky clips to remove the cover to get to the fan. There are a number of suppliers on the mainland, will pm you with some some and of course Ebay is a great source of parts.

Have fun and enjoy.

Neil

Thanks Alec, was hoping if I changed it I might if gotten lucky lol, so does anyone know if the blower fans can be repaired, can't find one anywhere on ebay etc

Just do one more check, fan on full , and give the fan a good knock with something. Fan is situated behind sound deadening material front LHS on the firewall in the engine bay. Maybe a couple of wacks, if fan comes on, problem not solved, but gives you some air movement. It will stop again. You can move the sound deadening away and drill a small hole in the back and spray in your favourite lubricant,

Tom

Tadpole

I just had a look, so I take it if you want to take the blower fan out you have to do it from the engine bay, the grey plastic covering the fan looks like it would be fun to take out....not lol

Thread Information