205 GTI water ingress
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI water ingress

On a different note, my car has spent two weeks in the airport parking and on return I found (again) water in the left rear passenger footwell. Only there, and enough to slosh around (been rainy around here I gather). It is the second time it happens.

My car has a sunroof (not the sliding type, the electric variety). Works fine, was properly shut, and I don't suspect it. I have run a bead of silicone around the seal just for insurance when it happened the first time. But that is not the reason I don't suspect it. I checked the roof lining and it's dry everywhere (it was dry the first time it happened too). Moreover, the water is only in the footwell of the rear left seat. Absolutely nothing else in the car is wet. I am stumped. I felt everywhere, up the side, all over the carpet from the front, lifted the rear seat, nothing! It seems like the water just materialises there out of nothing like the elusive Hawking radiation. And no, it hasn't been dry at all recently, so if there was any wet trace I don't think it had any chance of drying up.

Whatever little hair I have left is in danger from head overscratching so I am looking for any suggestions, absurd or rational at this particular juncture.

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

back windows leak, so i have been told

I have this problem with my Si s.
    Not sure where the water is getting in.
    My drivway is on a slope and I have noticed that if the car is pointing uphill water can collect but if its facing downhill there is no water getting in.
    At first I thought it might have been blocked drains under the drain channel under windscreen, with the overflow somehow migrating back to the LH rear footwell.
    Rear window seals sounds like a more reasonable cause.

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

“Corners: radar free zones.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

Makotrac 205 GTi 06-05-2012 best lap 1 min 20 sec.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    back windows leak, so i have been told
    I agree with djvu205. My S1 has leaked through the back windows as the seals seem to leak. Did you check for any telltale water marks/ drip trails around the back windows or on the interior plastics?

Ditto. My SIs both leak through the rear windows under the right combination of angle and wind direction.

I once drove my GTi through an automatic high pressure carwash...never again!

I got wet from the other side of the car, had to sit there and just cop it. NO going forward or back to escape.

So I'm think yeah rear pop out window seal....

I had the exact same thing happen to me in my GTi as well. Was parked on a flat and got pounded by some heavy rain. It was dry everywhere else except for where the puddle was in the foot well. I reckon its the seals of the pop out window

Oh. Jihad on the the rear window seal I say, old chum! Dang mudder fakker window seals.

I noticed this morning there was a small wet patch under the rear end of the sill just in front of the left rear wheel, looked like dripping came from some boxed section of the sill or whatever.

I did check those windows every tine it happened though and no plastics, no trim, nothing was wet around there. Perhaps water gets in and dribbles under all the trim and that? I'll pull that out and have a closer look. Thank you everybody.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Rear window seals!

I just drained almost 3 litres form the passenger side sill form it being blocked and gathering water. I think everyone should check this BTW. There is a black bung/plug at the rear of the sill that has a cross cut in it to let water seep out. They are almost always blocked and are easily unblocked. I removed the whole plug as there was sooo much water in there it would have taken three years to come out.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Yeap. Did the same today, found a million gallons of water in the sill.

Apparently the sill fills up and water overflows through the grommet for the wiring (fuel pump, I guess and sender) in the (rear) passenger footwell.

But the question is where does the water come in the sill from?

The rear window does not have any way of leaking in the sill as far as I can see. I pulled the rubber seal (mine is in good nick) and if water came in, it would go behind the trim card, and would go out at the bottom of the rear 1/4 panel bottom just above the jacking point. There is a drain there and mine is open and clean. Besides, the boxed section of the sill where the water collects does not have any opening there for the water to get in (I will check some more tomorrow).
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 9th June 2012 at 10:19 PM.

extreamly concerning......... must check sills and seals.

cheers

Some results today.

After another night of rain, I found again the puddle in the footwell. This time however I found one source in action. It is indeed the rear window seals. Water leaks by capillarity under the seal (inbetween the metal and seal) and then it is transferred inside, where it takes avery peculiar route to the footwell. It runs on the top vinyl part of the trim, horizontally towards the front of the car through the little "channel" at the top (this is on the outside, the part that you can see), then directly down the vinyl and under the carpet at the base of the B pillar. That is why no carpet of plush is wet ever, and the vinyl of course, doesn't get wet.

The water in the sill is the second source of water for the footwell puddle. Still haven't figured out how does the sill fill with water, but I took out the drain plugs in both sills (L and R of the car). Both were full of water. Hopefully from now on the sills won't retain any water.

I also replaced the rear window seals with good ones and run a silicone bead on the metal frame where the bottom of the seal channel sits, so no capillary action is possible anymore.

Fingers crossed.

Fellow Frogger!

I have found a puddle there multiple times if it makes you feel any better...

Lewis

Well, it looks like this is a problem of all 205s.

I am really not keen on accepting this. I mean I can put up with all sorts of crappy plastics, dodgy electrics, but water in the car I didn't have even when I was driving my first car, a 1966 roundeye R10. I am determined to silicone in place every window if need be to stop this crap. Anyway, for the time being, I think I nailed the two rear windows. They won't leak anymore.

There is still the sill problem, hopefully it won't fill up anymore with the plugs removed.

Icon6

G'day,
    I'm just wondering, if this is such a common problem, why hasn't it popped up before?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    I'm just wondering, if this is such a common problem, why hasn't it popped up before?
    Judging by the state my sills are in, I would say people aren't aware or don't care.

The rear window seals I replaced were so shrunk I could slide them back and forth about 1 inch. In the corners they were far away from the steel frame. The s/h ones I installed are much tighter but not like brand new by any means.

Tadpole

I'm having this issue with my GTi, has the silicone and plug removal worked?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugmania View Post
    I'm having this issue with my GTi, has the silicone and plug removal worked?
    Well, the windows don't leak anymore.

The sills I suppose are now freeflowing, 'cos sure as hell I ain't pluggin' them back. Or at least I hope they are. This of course means I didn't manage to find the source of water in the sills.

Thread Information