Oh no..... I've been looking at poogoes :eek:
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Oh no..... I've been looking at poogoes :eek:

Hi Guys,

Yes, it's true, not poogoes with huge big tacky plastic chevrons stuck on it either The C4 has to go as it's too small. And my wife had seen a 307 wagon dropping the kids off at school... "Yeah, they look nice, what we need is a nice Citroen CX wagon rather than a piece of junk modern car" I've been telling her.... She's a strange women though.... absolutely refuses to listen to reason, she has this strange idea any CX or DS I have will break down all the time Gee's, talk about judging someone on there track record of "unscheduled stops" on the side of the road

Anyway, I've been pointing out C5's to her for a couple of months... She's not really interested though (neither am I, gimme a decent CX anyday with a nice proper manual gearbox). I found a couple of 307's and 407's for sale locally... It worked out really well, the 407's were filthy tired cars with that skitzophrenic al4 and the 307 was the pick of it's breed. an immaculately presented low milage car fitted with the 2litre diesel and 6spd manual 'box. We drove the 407 first.... she loved it, comfy and quiet, I thought it was quite firm over bigger bumps, but at least it didn't shake shit out of everyone like the c4 over every tiny bump.

307 ?? What an enormous disspointment, 'cos it looked fantastic... lots of space inside, yet no space. the cars narrow, the dash a million miles away, all the space seems to be in height (which is great I guess if you want to wear a hat). The biggest problem though was it's ride quality it bloody terrible... I only shook, shuddered and thumped 100meters down the service road and I was ready to do a Uturn and hand the keys back..... This is the car my wife really likes though ... so we drove it a bit. The back seats were like concrete verticle slabs, the interior felt cheap and nasty .... Ang decides "no way" to one of these ( phew ).

Advertisement

It's worked out well 'cos now I'm allowed to look at 407's and C5's. Is there any problems I should be aware of when looking at 407's A search around this place shows body groans as the milages increases and the clips that retain the back seats ( ). I'll be looking at 2litre HDi 6spd manuals, or 6spd slugomatics. Don't worry, i wouldn't dream of looking at an AL4 unless it was $1500 to buy so could be thrown away if the gearbox died

Why doesn't Citroen bring in C5's with proper manual gearboxes so you can get some half decent suspension with something that moderately reliable and good to drive

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

FWIW the 307 wagon does ride better than the hatch, it has a longer wheelbase than the hatch (through you are not going anywhere near the Citroen ride). Also the 307 wagon has more boot space than the 407 wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
    FWIW the 307 wagon does ride better than the hatch, it has a longer wheelbase than the hatch (through you are not going anywhere near the Citroen ride). Also the 307 wagon has more boot space than the 407 wagon.
    Oh yeah, with the 407, we can look at sedans too, as there boot is a reasonable size (though the opening is small and awkward like most modern cars). I simply didn't like the 307. It's just like the C4, I think they must have welded the axles straight to the body and forgotten about the suspension.

It's interesting about the boot space. I'd believe that, the 307wagon was really nice in the back part. It "felt" very narrow compared to C5/407, so I'm not sure about sitting 3kids and two kids seat across the back seat.

If anyone likes 307's, I'll have a perfect C4 that rides and drives in a very similar manner for sale soon (a one owner car with 40,000kms on it from new). It's a bloody ripper little car, it's such a shame they put poogoe suspension under it though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Oh yeah, with the 407, we can look at sedans too, as there boot is a reasonable size (though the opening is small and awkward like most modern cars). I simply didn't like the 307. It's just like the C4, I think they must have welded the axles straight to the body and forgotten about the suspension.

It's interesting about the boot space. I'd believe that, the 307wagon was really nice in the back part. It "felt" very narrow compared to C5/407, so I'm not sure about sitting 3kids and two kids seat across the back seat.

If anyone likes 307's, I'll have a perfect C4 that rides and drives in a very similar manner for sale soon (a one owner car with 40,000kms on it from new). It's a bloody ripper little car, it's such a shame they put poogoe suspension under it though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yes, can't understand why anyone would buy a 307 after they drove it on anything apart from smooth hot mix.
    Driving along the Eastern Freeway you can detect all the different types of road surface by listening to the changes in road roar.
    Funny thing is though that 10 years later the latest Corolla seems to be a direct copy of the 307 even down to the deafening road noise, you can only listen to the radio on the less grainy roads.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Yes, can't understand why anyone would buy a 307 after they drove it on anything apart from smooth hot mix.
    Driving along the Eastern Freeway you can detect all the different types of road surface by listening to the changes in road roar.
    Funny thing is though that 10 years later the latest Corolla seems to be a direct copy of the 307 even down to the deafening road noise, you can only listen to the radio on the less grainy roads.
    Graham
    Tell you what I used to think my mums 307 1.6 litre AL4 was the worst thing I'd ever driven until last week. If you don't like 307's don't look at Mercedes. Had a drive of a brand new MB, not sure what model but a 407 sized sedan with a 1.9 litre turbo petrol engine and auto gearbox. What a peice of rubbish, did about 10km from Airport West to the airport and back again. My bum was numb from the seats. and I didn't know the freeway was so rough. I thought we were on a bush track it bounced around so much and as for performance, wait for it, still waiting oh there we go it is accelarating.

I tried an accelaration test from 80kph in drive, flat to the floor and the auto takes a second or 2 to find the right gear, chose third then changed its mind and selected second, about another second goes by till the engine realises it was asked to do something and then off it goes with all its turbo power for about 5 seconds then has to select third gear and then more turbo power and we hit 100 kph. I said to the owner that a manual would be way down the street by now.

It wasn't even that quiet, the only thing I liked about it was the steering, it felt direct and responsive and plenty of feel, reminded me of the 505, I just thought its because its rear wheel drive.

I got back into the old 405 diesel and thought if it was possible to blind fold someone and drive both these cars, then ask him to pick the $70,000 one, I doubt he'd pick the Merc.

Oh, yes I know I have been accused of being biast towards French cars but thats only because I know there the best.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

We have a 2007 307 Hdi Wagon (125K) and a 2011 308 Hdi Wagon 7 seater (6k). They are both 6 speed manuals, nice to drive, heaps of go and economical to boot. A very exlusive club to join. But in the end you get what you pay for. I see you are in Ballarat so have access to a dealer, not like us which is one downfall. PM me if you need anymore info. GB

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Graham
    My Dad hired one in the UK and racked up quite a few miles driving around the country. He thought it was rubbish compared to his (at the time) 8 year old 406 ST.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

1000+ Posts

There is a dealer in Bendigo-been opened for about 6?months.
    I think -far as i know it is owned by the people who have the Audi Dealership.
    Was there when 'Young Dave' drove the Benz.
    Seems like the Benz -as Dave & I discussed-has not improved since the 180/190e days -even then & prior to that they were a 'heap of propaganda'.
    I can highly recommend Peter Antonio & Ballarat Peugeot 0428 413 311.

Pekay.

When I see the peugeot signs up I will believe it. The Audi is there for sure and a few s/h Pugs in a yard, but that is all.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the conversion process has started

he is looking at and driving them

won't be long before one is in his yard and then slowly but surely the citroen fleet will diminish and another pug household will emerge
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Shane,

The 406 wagon rides quite well. Would you consider one of those? There certainly should be a few of those with manuals in them.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic View Post
    Shane,

The 406 wagon rides quite well. Would you consider one of those? There certainly should be a few of those with manuals in them.
    i mentioned that before but apparently Ang wants modern (ie something that Shane doesn't understand and leaves it alone and new enough so hopefully nothing goes wrong so Shane doesn't get tempted to break it, i mean fix it )
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Gee's you guys are hilarious, I went for a spin down to melbourne and took this one for a drive. It's a nice tidy car. I imagine it's spent it's life in an underground carpark. the service book is stamps for the same owner (a company) upto 35,000kms.

http://birrellmotors.com.au/Automoti...7/details.aspx

It seemed quiet and not overly harsh (it's hard to be comparative, most cars feel slow and rough as guts after a CX ). It didn't jiggle and thump badly over all the covers, tram lines etc.... It's about 20times the car to drive of the 307 wagon.

It was a great place to look around, a 404 rally car, 504 rally car ... real car nuts ( that's always good to see, people that are passionate about there stuff ). The tired stinky old CX didn't look out of place parked there.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I think the 407 's are all right. The rest is 'Yawn'. The 307 I wouldn't touch, have had friends with horrific stories wishing they never traded their 306's. Graham Birrell has been Renaulting and Pugging for years.
    Go around the back lane from the car yard and ask Neil Hartrick (service) whether the 407's are any good He'll be honest!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

I probably should mention, I put a deposit on the 407 above, so if anyone is chasing it .... there too late

Now I've just got to beg/borrow/steal some money to pay for it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    There is a dealer in Bendigo-been opened for about 6?months.
    I think -far as i know it is owned by the people who have the Audi Dealership.
    Was there when 'Young Dave' drove the Benz.
    Seems like the Benz -as Dave & I discussed-has not improved since the 180/190e days -even then & prior to that they were a 'heap of propaganda'.
    I can highly recommend Peter Antonio & Ballarat Peugeot 0428 413 311.

Pekay.
    Does he do Citroens as well?? I often get asked where I'd take a Citroen to locally ...... And I have no idea. I'll do the servicing myself either way. The 407 will need a cambelt next year (due at 6years of age), so that should be fun. Access looks quite good compared to the XM/Xantia/BX.

For Peugeots, does Redan Motors do servicing? The guy that owns that caryard would probably know who to recommend either way.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I hope you enjoy the 407. I have had mine for almost 4 hrs and it has been fun to drive. I have a petrol one though. Two baby seats do fit in the back
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Redan would probably be a good place to start. I poked my nose in there one day, he had a few interesting cars lying about.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information