new 306 beam
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: new 306 beam

Default new 306 beam

Looks like I need a new rear beam form my 306.
    Although I can't feel any movement, it squeaks constantly with the occasional cracking sound. And the noise is definitely coming from the suspension.

Are all the 306 beam the same. (springs and roll bar)
    Dose anyone know where I can get a second hand beam from. It doesn't need to be in good condition because I will rebuild it myself. I just want one so I can quickly swap it so the car is not off the road for to long.

Advertisement

When mine went years ago, only the bearings were replaced on the left side, and the trailing arm had to be changed on the right side, but not the beam itself.... If it has started cracking that's not a good sign, bearings alone may not be enough to save it.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

no I won't be changing just the bearings.
    I'm looking for a complete beam (I don't need the brakes) that I will rebuild as required and then swap them.
    that way the car should be off the road for only a day.

I have a spare 306 tube.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

After some research I have an answer to the first part of my question.
    The only things that change are the R/H mounting bracket and the spring/role bar strength.

The right hand mount changes depending on whether you have the external compensator valve or not. I think this just 2 hole were the valve mounts, so not much of a change, and the mounts are easily change anyway so no problem there.

There are a couple of spring and role bar strength combinations (measured by thickness) depending on fuel type, body type, and spec.
    Based on what Peugeot and my measurements tell me, I have the 'normal' suspension, which also seams to be the most common. (good news for me because I like the ride and handling as it is, and it already lifts one wheel of the ground in hard cornering/steep driveways so I think its hard enough for me.)

Now its time to start ringing the wreckers and see who's got one.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    Looks like I need a new rear beam form my 306.
    Although I can't feel any movement, it squeaks constantly with the occasional cracking sound. And the noise is definitely coming from the suspension.

Are all the 306 beam the same. (springs and roll bar)
    Dose anyone know where I can get a second hand beam from. It doesn't need to be in good condition because I will rebuild it myself. I just want one so I can quickly swap it so the car is not off the road for to long.
    There are usuall a few 306s at Imlachs, Centre Rd Springvale. Pull it out yourself.
    Graham

What type of grease do you recommend for the bearings?

Default Beam Swapped

I've just finished swapping a complete second hand beam into my 306. (a vary be thank you to Dennis for his help)
    Overall it was a huge success, but now the steering wheel dose not sit centre when driving.
    I believe this is crabbing due to the rear axle not being aligned correctly.
    For all that have done this before, is this a far assumption for me to make. (hopefully a visit to pedders on monday will fix this, but it can't hurt to get you advice in the meantime.)

thanks.
    mic

Thread Information