Lower Control Arm rubbers
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Lower Control Arm rubbers

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask and get a little feedback on this topic:

Couple of days ago a had the rubbers replaced in both front lower control arms on my 206 GTi, the old ones were shot and the arms making clunking noises, so time to fix.

What I've noticed with the new rubbers is that now there is what seems to be especially on straight line 75% - 100% acceleration, a lot more movement almost like torque steer. Have to be wary compared to before no dramas. The front now seems to squirm around and not track straight that smooth, I've been told they performed a wheel alignment, so not sure.

Does anyone have the technical term for what is happening,

Is there an embedding period for these like with brake pads??
    Will these rubbers settle down over a period, is it because they are so new ??
    Should I be concerned ??

Thanks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JarMac View Post
    Should I be concerned ??

Thanks
    It sounds like you are referring to something like torque steer.

I'm curious though - usually the whole lower control arm is replaced, so I'm not sure which rubbers you are referring to.

When I had mine replaced, there was no change to handling or steering characteristics - but it was a great deal quieter again. It was heaven.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Sounds like torque steer to me. I dunno about just replacing the rubbers, I thought the go was to replace the arms. I've found than torque steer means you need either new control arms, new tyres, more air in the tyres (don't laugh) or a PROPER wheel alignment.

So start with the cheapest first...
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Oh, and make sure the bolts holding the arms on were tightened AFTER the car was at proper ride height.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

VIP Sponsor

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask and get a little feedback on this topic:

Couple of days ago a had the rubbers replaced in both front lower control arms on my 206 GTi, the old ones were shot and the arms making clunking noises, so time to fix.

What I've noticed with the new rubbers is that now there is what seems to be especially on straight line 75% - 100% acceleration, a lot more movement almost like torque steer. Have to be wary compared to before no dramas. The front now seems to squirm around and not track straight that smooth, I've been told they performed a wheel alignment, so not sure.

Does anyone have the technical term for what is happening,

Should I be concerned ??

Thanks
    Was it a SASIC kit for the rubbers?
    The SASIC kit for 205 Si front end rubbers is useless, keep the plastic ARB bushes and throw away the rest.
    These are so soft the car rocks back and forth on the rubbers after you have stopped.
    Don't know if this applies to 206s though.
    Graham

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah the invoice states it was a bush kit, so they maybe a lot softer than originals, which sucks.

Graham your comments sounds similar to my experience, I notice samll movement even coming to a stop, cornering and steering feel is now soft and Hyundai Getz like compared to before.

Spoken to the mechanic taking it back to today and giving him a drive to show him, will see what can be done to bring back the fun factor, can't believe how much they change the dynamics of the car.

Tadpole

Hi Guys, further to the story, after 2 bush kits (which are crap) and make the GTi feel sloppy and dangerous, had both lower control arms replaced with Genuine New Arms. The difference is crazy! Fixed and feels great again.

One problem though they are wanting to charge me $760.00 just for the parts ???

They are only charging me for parts apparently no labor, but I suspect the above price is inflated to cover some labor.

Does anyone know approx what the parts should cost ??

Cheers

Hi Guys, further to the story, after 2 bush kits (which are crap) and make the GTi feel sloppy and dangerous, had both lower control arms replaced with Genuine New Arms. The difference is crazy! Fixed and feels great again.

One problem though they are wanting to charge me $760.00 just for the parts ???

They are only charging me for parts apparently no labor, but I suspect the above price is inflated to cover some labor.

Does anyone know approx what the parts should cost ??

Cheers
    2 complete arms should be less than 350. the rest is labor. which garage did you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post
    2 complete arms should be less than 350. the rest is labor. which garage did you go to?
    Peugeot replacements will definitely be more than $350 for a pair and much more likely to be around $350 each.

I paid $275.88 (plus GST) per arm in 2007 for my GTi180 - no labour included.

The aftermarket ones you can buy at places like DAPCO will be cheaper.

JarMac - thanks for getting back to us.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies,

After the last week or so feeling like I was driving on the beach, and not wanting to even drive the pug, guess I'm happy to have Genuine Peugeot Arms put in.

So $350 each it is then, ouch!!

Thread Information