New to MI16 ?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New to MI16 ?

Default New to MI16 ?

Hi all

I have just got myself an MI16, but no manual yet.

So the car has just over 300.000 on the clock and according to the paperwork never missed a service.. The guy i got it from spent quite a lot on all the electricals. It had not been started for a year. So when I got it home I put 7l of fuel in it and hooked the battery up to a jump pack. Turned the key and to our surprise it started after about 10 seconds. It only ran on 3 cyclinders for about another 10 seconds then purred like a dream for about 25 minutes. The next day with a new battery installed I went for a drive around the block and it went like a dream. Then yesterday when i started it it only ran on 3 cyclnders.
    The diognostic light comes on when the ignition is on. but goes off as soon as the motor kicks over.
    Also where do I find the plugs and leads ?? This is the most modern car that I have owned.

Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds like you have a series 2 (plastic inlet manifold) with a faulty coil pack. Undo the top metal bit of the engine that says 16v. Everything is under there.

Fellow Frogger!

Replace the fuel with a full tank of fresh 95-98 Octane and add an injection cleaner. Stale fuel is no good.

Yes a series 2. According to the paperwork the coil packs have been done in the last 20,000km. Is there an easy way to check them. I will drain the tank and add some injector cleaner.

Thanks

Not plugs or leads? will check them to

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah could be the plugs in that case. Personally I would not bother with cleaners until plugs are fresh and coils are known to be functioning. You can check their resistance with a multimeter between the pins.
    No hi tension leads on this model, voltage spike is done within the coil which sits directly on the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfinn55 View Post
    Not plugs or leads? will check them to
    Just for future reference it doens't have leads. Just four individual coils on top of each spark plug. Is it running on 3 or 2 cylinders, because two can mean those to little things next to the battery (ICU's I think) The plug fell off mine once, and ran terribly!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

It does have leads, just not hi tension leads, which means that if the insulation is slightly damaged, chances are it will not short out and lose the voltage before it ignites the plug.

But yeah, it does have leads so look for obvious damage like cracked/stripped insulation that might be causing a short !

By leads do you mean the small wires going to the coils? If so you are on to something. Where the plug is to the coil leads, just out from under the coil cover. Can corrode out and this could cause the fault.

It did on mine once. The insulation on the bend also fell apart, so that could have let moisture to get in.
    Last edited by cav91; 1st June 2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

This is where we have to be careful about terminology.

S2 Mi16 does not have plug leads. If you walk into a dealer and ask for a set of spark plug leads he'd look at you as if you have 2 heads.

But it does have power wires going to the 4 individual coils and those plugs can corrode and get damaged and fail, but there no longer available anyway.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, that's what I mean, just the power cables to the coils basically.
    I am yet to see one of those rubber bend things that has not fallen apart. With mine, I just give it a squirt of wd40 every time I look under the hood to make sure no corrosion starts forming.

Just saying. Have you checked the oil? Does it have any?

Nothing to do with the problem, just routine check before starting up a long laid up car.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information