306 S16 Exhaust help
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 S16 Exhaust help

Hey guys,

Just pulled the exhaust off my S16 and discovered I might be up for a new system completely.
    Just after some ideas for a direction to head in? I thought i was going to be able to do a quick fix'er up but I dont really want to put it back in until im satisfied with it (no leaks, nice sound).

Advertisement

What have other members done in the past?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 S16 Exhaust help-img_20120530_132722.jpg   306 S16 Exhaust help-img_20120530_132731.jpg  

Well for starters the rear muffler you have is non-standard. If you are happy with the sound (note and levels) from that I'd stick with it.

Also looks like it is the original pipework and possibly cat and resonator.

I got my system replaced from manifold back when the pipe got some pinholes and the rear muffler packed it in. I went with a custom Stainless job from Northshore Rallysport (no longer around). The twin downpipe is supposed to be optimally tuned, but If I'd known to ask questions at the time I'd have checked what diameter the rest of the exhaust was going to be. I think what I have is 3" and it is too big. Drones like crazy at highway speeds. Also I'd probably go with mild steel as it will save a heap.

On the plus side the fuel economy improved by about 50KM/tank full (city driving) after the exhaust was replaced, but I suspect that was more to do with the degradation of the old system than anything about the new exhaust, as it basically brought it back to as new fuel economy for city driving(for me, I've never achieved anything like the 10.5L/100 claimed for city driving, usually more like 12L/100).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I had the same issue with a 405. Lukilly I have LOTS of spares. So we welded in a new section where the holes where. Sounds nice now!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Thanks Tony some good information there. I guess the rear muffler can stay, just a bit of suface rust on that, but as far as the cat goes they seem to be very expensive. Is there any reason i couldnt replace just the centre pipe? Any ideas how much a custom should cost?

If the cat is ok then leave that too. If the only thing that needs doing is the piping between components then any exhaust shop should be able to do that for you. I think my original system was about $1100 manifold back, but that was probably 10 years ago!! I think I'd blown the cat at the time as well so both the silencer and the rear muffler were full of shrapnel. If the downpipe needs replacing it is hopefully still available from peugeot or one of the independents.

If your main concern is getting it going again cheaply just ask to get the dodgy piping replaced and maybe check the cat (though if the cat was blown you would notice a significant drop in power). Looking at the picture it seems that the cat is actually part of the downpipe. I can't remember as I blew the first cat many years ago, and they just cut it out and put in a new one.

You can check the mufflers by giving them a bit of a shake, if they rattle they probably are due to be replaced.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I got a whole system from the front to the back fitted for $750 at xmas time. It's an sftermarket one on my GTi6 but sounds awesome.

Tadpole

just had another look and it looks like the silencer is about to fall off! guess i got to it just in time.

@ Tony there doesnt seem to be any shrapnel through the pipe/mufflers which is good, was just concerned that if the pipe was haggard maybe the cat is on its way out

@trihardthlete $750 is a pretty awesome price for a full system i would think? what brand is it and where did u get it from, might look at one myself and save myself some hassle.

would a gti-6 pipe fit an s16?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 S16 Exhaust help-img_20120531_094301.jpg  

I'm not sure whether cats rust out or not. I've replaced three on mine all blown when a connector came off and ignition stopped but injectors kept firing, resulting in unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

That silencer is stuffed! The car must have been making a terrible racket! Getting the whole system done if it is in your budget is probably the most cost effective way if bits and pieces are likely to die soon anyway (I did a patch up job years ago and shortly after the rest packed it in and the total in the end was more than If I'd done the lot in the first place).

I'd be 99.9% sure that the GTI6 will have a different downpipe to the S16 since they have completely different exhaust manifolds.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information