High Km 06 307 HDi Wagon (1.6l) and Eloys.
  • Register
  • Help

Default High Km 06 307 HDi Wagon (1.6l) and Eloys.

Hi all.

First post, but not before looking around.
    I have my eye on a high Km 2006 307 1.6l HDi wagon - 270000km and was wondering what are poeples thoughts on such a vehicle with high Kms.
    I know service history is important, i havent checked it yet so i cant comment on it.
    What things should i be checking at these Kms?

Also, Eloys - is it possible to check the tank and see how much is left before purchse - without having to take it to a Peugeot dealer?
    Can the cover simply be removed and then just look at the tank and see the level?

My 2 main concerns with the vehicle are the Eloys system and the timing belt.
    From what i have seen, both arent real cheap to do.
    $1000ish for the Eloys and $600+ for the belt.

Im potentially looking at this car soley for a cheap run about so i dont really want massive bills thrown at me right from the start.
    Currently im spending $100 a week on fuel, so this would be a great alternative, both for fuel economy and safety for the family.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

$1k for eloys? Are they shipping it in from the moon?!?
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Well this is what ive come across in my research.
    Between the fluid and the over priced labour charges, thats about what Ive read a few times already.
    If it isnt that much, how much should it be then?

It will need a new Fap filter, cam belt [ second one ] eloys fluid and if the oil changes have not been regular with the low ash oil the Turbo may not have too much life left.

To test the turbo for wear remove the intake pipe from the turbo [ engine cold ] and see if there is any play on the shaft. There should not be any play.

The other items that will need replacing will be the dual mass flywheel and the clutch kit if it has not been done already. [ If its gone you'll get clutch slip, bad judder in all gears and very obvious rattle from the worn springs on the dual mass flywheel ]

At these km's you may also need to look at the alternator, starter motor and A/C pump. [ test the A/C it should be nice and cold and you should hear a good click as the pump engages, alterantor testing is done by running engine at idle, switching on dipped head lights and rear heated window and voltmeter on battery should show 13+V. If it drops below 9V its not charging properly. Starter motor should turn engine over easily and not struggle or click. ]

The other obvious items are the wheel bearings [ whining noise at speed and some play in wheel when rocked from side to side ], driveshaft CV joints [ clicking at full lock ] and the usual brake disc and pad condition.

Saying all of that the car may have had a lot of new parts already so if its going cheap and the previous owner did a good job maintaining it you could get another 100,000kms "BUT" the savings on fuel could easily be offset by costs of possible repairs and new parts.

If you are not sure take a mate who knows what to look for..

Hi davway, welcome to Aussiefrogs from another AFF member!
    Anyway, the ELOYS fluid comes in two different forms. One system uses a bag system which is the expensive one. The other uses a plastic container which is cheaper to replace. Either one will require a reset of the computer as the amount of ELOYS fluid is calculated on the number of times the car is filled up, not by how much is actually left in the reservoir.
    To check it, look in the left hand rear wheel arch. There should be a plastic cover that you can remove and see how much is left.
    We own a 06 Touring wagon ourselves with 122k on the clock now and it's been a really great car. Haven't needed too many things done, just brakes and just had the steering arms replaced due to freeplay.
    Based on my experience, as long as it's been well maintained, then it should be a good, reliable car.

Fellow Frogger

It's the DV6 engine?? (Edit: DV6 engine does have a timing belt plus a small top chain, not two chains as per my original post now edited.) If it's the DV6 engine, it has a timing chain between the cams and that can stretch and rattle. Listen for that rattle as you have to remove the injectors to get at it and that can sometimes be an expensive problem if water has worked it's way down the injector tubes. Listen for turbo whistle and ensure it's had frequent oil changes as it's not very tolerant of abuse. Otherwise, very robust and economical.

The Eolys is injected when you fill the car. The car calculates, rather than measures, the amount of Eolys remaining and also the soot loading. If the FAP is blocked, it's sometimes possible to reverse flush it. NOT for DIY. The Eolys fluid was changed a couple of years ago and the fluid for the rigid tanks is different to what comes in the bags. The bags are not refillable while there is a kit for the rigid tanks. Find out when the bag was last changed. They will be supposed to last about 160K, but it depends on how the car is used and may be more or less.
    Last edited by David S; 5th June 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Tadpole

Default 307 hdi high ks

we've got a 307 hdi wagon 2005.had since new and just clocked 210ks.had minor issues but still getting great mileage,appr.18ks per litre.secret is to find a non dealer peugeot mechanic.we have one in brunswick but thats a bit far from warnambool.if its been regularly serviced it should be a good car.cheers ,brotherfreeman.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davway View Post
    Hi all.

First post, but not before looking around.
    I have my eye on a high Km 2006 307 1.6l HDi wagon - 270000km and was wondering what are poeples thoughts on such a vehicle with high Kms.
    I know service history is important, i havent checked it yet so i cant comment on it.
    What things should i be checking at these Kms?

Also, Eloys - is it possible to check the tank and see how much is left before purchse - without having to take it to a Peugeot dealer?
    Can the cover simply be removed and then just look at the tank and see the level?

My 2 main concerns with the vehicle are the Eloys system and the timing belt.
    From what i have seen, both arent real cheap to do.
    $1000ish for the Eloys and $600+ for the belt.

Im potentially looking at this car soley for a cheap run about so i dont really want massive bills thrown at me right from the start.
    Currently im spending $100 a week on fuel, so this would be a great alternative, both for fuel economy and safety for the family.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.
    If this is the ebay car in ballarat (white wagon) ... Have you seen it ??? It stinks something terrible (quite litteraly ... a smoker that never washes has owned it). Just around the corner from this car is a 307 for about triple the money that will be 30times the car (not 3times the car). it's a 2litre 6spd manual with 80,000kms on it. Apart from the bone jarring appalling ride quality it had the appearances of being a very good car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I spoke to davway on the Australian Ford Forums where we are both members and he hasn't gone with this car.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I went on drove this one .... It's probably absolute top money for such a car, but it's a very good one.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...5&sort=default

It's probably a better proposition than that cheapy. I wouldn't though, the ride quality is as appalling as the C4. Poogoe just doens't know how to do suspension, they should have let Citroen do it If they had GS like suspension, they would be absolutely fabulous....

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information