406 hdi vibration/ shake
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406 hdi vibration/ shake

Hi I have a 2001 406 hdi. Recently it has developed a shake in the front at between 60 and 75 k's.
    It does not transfer to the steering and there is no noise from it.
    I have replaced the rear engine mount and the bearing carrying the drive shaft seems fine.
    The vibration only occurs on load and not deceleration. It makes no difference how much load is on, it still shakes the car the same amount.
    The cv joints dont make any noise and the shake deasn't change if you are turning a gentle corner.( not in the habbit of gong around sharp corners at 70ks )
    I have checked all the bolts holding the gearbox and bell housing on and they were fine.
    Any ideas ?
    without replacing heaps of parts !
    Waz

Advertisement

have you looked at the exhaust brackets?
    Also the bolts holding the plastic engine cover can fail maybe causing that to rattle at certain revs.
    I have a vibration when reversing - they seem hard to pin down.

1000+ Posts

Default 406

my sons car has a similar problem which we havnt been able to track down as its mainly used on short trips he s been putting up with it ,have you tried wheel balance ,rotating tyres front to rear ,also check the support bearing on the right hand drive shaft ,if its callapsed it could be allowing the shaft to wobble about in the bracket, it hangs off the back of the engine PUGS

Does it vibrate / shake regardless of what gear you're in at those speeds ?

Have you tried going into neutral at those speeds to see if that makes a difference ?

Tadpole

Its not a rattle , it feels like something is out of balance. It happens in any gear at those speeds but only under load. No load no shake.
    The drive shaft bearing is fine.
    I have fitted new tyres and had them all re balanced and had the wheel alignment done twice.
    The shake seems to come from the front/ engine area. Everything works as it should.
    If I stand at the front of the car and bring the engive revs up to about 2k I can feel a similar shake through my knees resting on the bumper, but its nowhere near as pronounced
    Could it be something to do with the dual mass flywheel ?

is it at a particular band of engine revs or just at that road speed?

How many kms do you have ? I presume its a manual since you referred to the dual mass flywheel ?

If the vibration is only there on load then its either part of the drive or the gearbox.

If a dual mass flywheel is faulty it would emit a very loud rattle at idle from the bell housing.

I would try a few tests;

1] With car stationary, engine running and open bonnet get a mate to take up the biting point in first and reverse and see what the engine does. If it shakes a lot its probably the mounts.

2] Driveshafts, check condition of the boots. Any leaks from the boot area [ splattered grease ? ]

3] Driveshafts 2: Lift either the front right or front left of the car and chock the other 3 wheels. Start engine and engage 1st gear and slowly let go of clutch. The loose wheel will start to spin slowly. Listen for any knocks or noises. Repeat on other side. If the car is trying to go forward with one wheel in the air then you have a diff problem.

4] Check wheel bearings for play and driveshaft lock nut for tightness. You also have to be careful not to overtighten the hub nut on the driveshaft. Use correct torque wrench setting.

If none of the above I would say the gearbox.

Also make sure that all the wishbones and anti roll bar are tightened properly and check front bushes for perishing or cracking.

Fellow Frogger

By rear engine mount, I assume you mean the round stabiliser bush??? There would be one similar at the front. How about the engine and gearbox end mounts? They could shear off and still sit in the same place at rest and look OK, but allow the engine to move about under load.

Tadpole

the engine mount i replaced was fine. I did it to eliminate a common failure.
    My previous 406 had over 500k on it with such issue before it met early retirement .
    I have been driving the car as normal. nothing is getting worse or better, i hope nothing breaks before i can find the problem.
    Thanks for all the ideas to check, i will go through what i haven't covered already. may be some thing will turn up.
    I do have a dodgy tensioner for the accessories belt which rattles a bit and i will replace but i can't see that being a vibration issue.

Thread Information