207 1.6 hdi - basic maintenance questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207 1.6 hdi - basic maintenance questions

Hi all,

I'm a short time viewer, first time poster, having recently acquired a 2008 207 1.6 HDI. So far so good, I'm quite happy with the car, but I have a few questions. (I've searched but couldn't find the answers)

Not knowing the service history I changed the oil and filter.
    I put through some oil flush, which I ran per instructions, for about 15 mins before draining oil. I then poured through about a litre of extra oil just to help it drain a bit (ouch that's expensive).

- How the hell do you separate the old filter from the housing ?? I ended up cutting it away with side cutters, which was ..messy. It was clipped in via these 6 teeth with hooks. I wondered about a special tool (pipe) that goes through the middle to compress the teeth, but once I cut the old one off, I found that they don't give much at all.

Advertisement

- What is the o-ring for on the end of the housing ?

- I bought the filter from the local dealer (Peugeot Brisbane) but I'm wondering where others get supplies from? Pretty sure that supercheap etc don't stock the required parts, but I can see stuff online via ebay etc.
    Anyone using Ryco/ACDelco etc type filters ?

- About the only compatible oils I could find in local retail were the 'Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 Premium', or the 'Penrite ENVIRO PLUS DL1 5w30'. I ended up with Nulon. Just wondering if anyone has tried Nulon 5w-30 ?
    Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Formula Long Life Engine Oil (SYND5W30
    http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ful...fe_Engine_Oil/

- Only niggle I have so far is a very slight clutch judder when taking off, but it can be 'driven around' with a touch more revs. Is there any reason to be concerned or should I just keep an eye on it ?

Cheers,
    Mick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 207 1.6 hdi - basic maintenance questions-img_9687s.jpg   207 1.6 hdi - basic maintenance questions-img_9689s.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a short time viewer, first time poster, having recently acquired a 2008 207 1.6 HDI. So far so good, I'm quite happy with the car, but I have a few questions. (I've searched but couldn't find the answers)

Not knowing the service history I changed the oil and filter.
    I put through some oil flush, which I ran per instructions, for about 15 mins before draining oil. I then poured through about a litre of extra oil just to help it drain a bit (ouch that's expensive).

- How the hell do you separate the old filter from the housing ?? I ended up cutting it away with side cutters, which was ..messy. It was clipped in via these 6 teeth with hooks. I wondered about a special tool (pipe) that goes through the middle to compress the teeth, but once I cut the old one off, I found that they don't give much at all.

- What is the o-ring for on the end of the housing ?

- I bought the filter from the local dealer (Peugeot Brisbane) but I'm wondering where others get supplies from? Pretty sure that supercheap etc don't stock the required parts, but I can see stuff online via ebay etc.
    Anyone using Ryco/ACDelco etc type filters ?

- About the only compatible oils I could find in local retail were the 'Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 Premium', or the 'Penrite ENVIRO PLUS DL1 5w30'. I ended up with Nulon. Just wondering if anyone has tried Nulon 5w-30 ?
    Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Formula Long Life Engine Oil (SYND5W30
    http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ful...fe_Engine_Oil/

- Only niggle I have so far is a very slight clutch judder when taking off, but it can be 'driven around' with a touch more revs. Is there any reason to be concerned or should I just keep an eye on it ?

Cheers,
    Mick.

Welcome to the great world of the Peugeot [ PSA ] 1.6 Hdi ! I would say that, owning one myself...

The oil filter is a bit of fiddly desing as you found out.in future the easisest way to get the filter cartridge out of the housing is to push it to the side with your palm yntil it unclicks to one side then pull hard and up with your fingers on the other side.

There are two new o rings with the filter. A small one for the nipple end which inserts into the corresponding hole in the block and the large one for the housing thread.

Be careful when replacing the cartridge filter as you should insert the small nipple end into its hole first and then thread on the housing which automaticaly locks in the housing clips at the back the sole purpose of the clips / teeth is to help withdraw the cartridge when chaning the filter.

I stick to the genuine Peugeot filter and the Total Ineo ecs oil as recommended as the prices are not that bad at my local dealer. The oil is $65 and the filter around $22. Remember to get a new sump plug washer.

On this engine be very careful not to overfill the oil. If anything leave it at 9/10ths full on the dip stick max as any more has a habit of forcing oil from the pcv valve into the intake, especially when the oil is fresh.

I change the oil and oil filter every 10,000 km's and the air and fuel filter every 20,000.

I would also recommend removing the two sensors from the throttle body and giving them a gentle clean as they do accumulate oil over time which can result in depolution fault errors. They are both very easy to remove with a 8mm spanner. Leave the connector on the sensor when you remove them. The one on the right is the air temperature sensor and the one on the left is the pressure sensor [ not to be confused with the MAF sensor which is on the airbox intake pipe ].

I also check tightness of all the nuts and bolts every 20,000 km on the wishbones, shafts, susupension links etc. I would also recommend brake fluid and coolant replacement every 40,000 km + pollen filter.

The judder you experience is normal unless it evident in 2nd and 3rd gears.

This engine has a dual mass flywheel which does not like too much abuse so avoid prolonged biting point time....

I almost got 1300km out of a tank on one occasion. Pretty impressive for only 50L
    Which reminds me, use a good quality Diesel in this engine. I use BP Ultimate. It just keeps everything cleaner and reduces soot and ash going into the Fap filter.

Have you tried out the overboost feature yet ?

I hope you enjoy your new 207 Hdi.

Tadpole

Thanks for the info,

No I haven't tried the overboost ? Is that activated when you put your foot down or is there something else needed ?
    Actually in truth I can't recall having revved it above 4k yet. First week with it and all that..

So i shouldn't be concerned about the judder unless it starts worsening; that's good to know.

The clutch / flywheel set up is designed for a quick take up and not prolonged bite point time. In other words dont worry about giving a few more revs and dropping the clutch.Over time this also takes care of any glazing that may be present on the clucth plate surface.

I find that in heavy traffic the judder is controlled by either very low rpm take up or leave a gap and let the clutch out and just idle in 1st. In general I have owned a number of manual Peugeot's and they all judder, Petrol and Diesel.

The overboost feature is only operational in the top three gears. There is no point revving above 4000 rpm as all the power and torque is low down on this eninge.

Try this, in 3rd gear coming out of a roundabout, say from 30kmh, push the accelerator all the way down and you will feel a click as you push past a detent point. This activates the overboost. It increases power and torque for around 45 seconds. In practice it gives a noticable punch from 1700 rpm and in third gear you can take it all the way up to 125 kmh should you need to do so.

Just think of 3rd on the Hdi as a very long 2nd on a V6 petrol car. Saying that most 2nd gears on a V6 petrol are in power curve free fall nearing 100kmh which allows you to just sail by.

The overboost also does a good job in 5th making the car pull quickly from 80kmh+.

I am currently working on re-mapping the overboost to get 134 Hp and over 330 nm of torque.

Generaly speaking this engine is very flexible and allows very low rpm use which gives excellent economy.

Thread Information