505 GTI intermittent cut out
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 GTI intermittent cut out

The 505 motor has taken to occasionally cutting out. Just stops dead, but will start up again right away and run normally. Has happened 3 times over perhaps a month. Dirty injectors have been suggested but fuel has been regularly Lucas treated and fuel filter renewed not long ago and she is fed BP 98 always.
    Any other ideas?

Advertisement
    Goonengerry 505

Fellow Frogger!

I had that happen several times in 92 gti, after stuffing around with pumps filters etc
    replaced the tachyometric relay under the steering column, instant solution

You can fit a normal relay if you know what you are doing apparently

good luck

1000+ Posts

In less complex ageing cars - poor connections/wire breakdown in the HT circuits can cause difficult to locate cut-outs.

i had a similar problem once with an mgb . it was a dodgy ignition switch , i only had to depress the clutch and start it again without stopping .

Isn't the tachymetric relay for starting only ?
    Just as a matter of interest to some, once I could only start occasionally in a '92 505 and I took the cover off that relay. Looking at the soldered connections with a magnifying glass, I spotted a tiny fracture around one. A quick touch with the soldering iron fixed the problem.

Fellow Frogger!

T relay controls the fuel pump, .

Well, it's easy to check anyway.
    If you take off the shroud under the steering column and look under the dash, it is a relay, slightly bigger than most relays, which has a lot of wires going to it. No other relays do. Take it out, take off cover, and look closely under good light at the soldered connections on one side. Take your time and look for a tiny circular crack which will be all around at least one bit of solder.

1000+ Posts

Do you have any symptoms of fuel starvation? My Citroen Xantia was cutting out when I tried to accelerate - it had clear signs of fuel starvation. Like your 505, it would start again immediately, but you couldn't clutch start it. Fixing the fuel issue seems to have fixed the cutting out, so I assume that the engine management system was cutting the spark when it detected a lean mixture.

See following thread for more detail:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...05#post1066205

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 28th May 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: More info

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by thomevans View Post
    The 505 motor has taken to occasionally cutting out. Just stops dead, but will start up again right away and run normally. Has happened 3 times over perhaps a month. Dirty injectors have been suggested but fuel has been regularly Lucas treated and fuel filter renewed not long ago and she is fed BP 98 always.
    Any other ideas?
    Unless you have a coil issue, or electrical leads / terminals supplying the coil, the tachymetric relay is most often the cause of this problem.

Other possibilities include the HP fuel pump (rather than the lift pump). You might also consider the "over-run relay", which, if your model is a Series 2 GTI, cuts power to the fuel pump on deceleration (accelerator not pressed) when RPM is above 1200. This is located on the firewall near the brake booster.

Cheers,

K

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the replies fellas.

SWMBO has now admitted that the motor in fact doesn't cut out completely, car just gradually slows down with no response when pressing the accelerator. It does always start and run normally again on turning ignition off and re-starting, so fuel starvation from filter or injectors seems unlikely. It hasn't happened again since I posted.

Will try and find time to check the tachymetric and over-run relays this weekend, or maybe simply replace them.

Does the late 505 actually have a lift pump in the fuel tank? Mr Haynes does not mention one.

Cheers,
    Goonengerry 505

It could be worth checking the hoses to the air flow meter if you have not already. One tiny crack can be hard to spot but cause them to play up.

KA

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505

yes there is an in tank pump access thru the large plastic plug in floor under the carpet lhs about 400mm from bumper, retained in tank by a ring you have to unscrew. it is all a bit tight for access but can be extracted ( remember no smoking while doing this )

I have been there and found it was the Tachy relay after all

when you are examining the tachy relay if it pongs of burnt plastic / bakelite it is suspect

I guess you have replaced the can filter near the main pump under rear lhs seat ? they can block up

Icon10

Don't suppose the intermittent cutting out coincides with the latest "must-have" shoes / clothes appearing in the shops?

If she comes home and tells you it wouldn't restart for half an hour, you can almost guarantee Jimmy Choo are on special.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Thread Information