Peugeot 208 R2 Rally Car
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 208 R2 Rally Car

Here's a clip on the new 208 R2 during Tour de Corse / testing. The enigne is a non turbo 1.6 producing around 190 Hp and weight is around 760 Kg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aDg0...eature=related

Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etA1W...eature=related

Philippe Merckx, the man responsible for the 205 1.9 Gti, is developing the 208 Gti and currently testing a 230 Hp version. A "Rallye" version is also on the drawing board but no engine spec for this as yet.

Overall things are looking up for the Peugeot's performance models

This is a good general clip on the Tour de Corse 2012, Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiX8p...eature=related
    Last edited by 908HDI; 23rd May 2012 at 09:30 AM.

If they can somehow sell a 205 replacment that meets modern safety needs and still weighs under 950kg, is stiff, with great steering and about 180-200 N/A hp, then I am sure we will be lining up to get it.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    If they can somehow sell a 205 replacment that meets modern safety needs and still weighs under 950kg, is stiff, with great steering and about 180-200 N/A hp, then I am sure we will be lining up to get it.
    Latest stats on the Gti = 1060 Kg weight with either 200 or 230 Hp turbo 1.6. With the latter output that puts the 208 Gti 10 Hp behind a HSV in the power to weight stakes....

As explained Philippe Merckx is in charge of the development and I don't think he is interested in a "Soft" Gti.

Thats a huge power output for a 1.6. I hope it doesnt go pop too easily..
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

VIP Sponsor

Thats a huge power output for a 1.6. I hope it doesnt go pop too easily..
    Competition engine, so racing spec parts and a lifing/rebuild schedule.
    This would be Peugeot equivalent of the Fiesta R2 that the WRC Academy is using.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Competition engine, so racing spec parts and a lifing/rebuild schedule.
    This would be Peugeot equivalent of the Fiesta R2 that the WRC Academy is using.
    Graham
    Yes, and nothing to do with the production model. I am afraid that this too will fall short of the 205. Hopefully I am wrong, as I am now looking for a city/short trip car.
    Last edited by ThanosK; 24th May 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Just to elaborate, the 1.6 non turbo producing around 190 Hp is in the R2. The 200-230 HP 1.6 Turbo will be in the forthcoming Gti.

Philippe Merckx is currently testing a 230 HP 1.6 in the 208 Gti and reports that he is very pleased with the result and that he will be pushing for this output for the production model.

I will believe 230hp in a 1000kg-ish production car when I see it. I have that in my 920kg car and its basically scary.
    Last edited by Isis; 23rd May 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: cant type
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post
    Just to elaborate, the 1.6 non turbo producing around 190 Hp is in the R2. The 200-230 HP 1.6 Turbo will be in the forthcoming Gti.
    Could you send link to Peugeot press release confining this so we can read details.

I will believe 230hp in a 1000kg-ish production car when I see it. I have that in my 920kg car and its basically scary.
    It's not 230 atw like yours so nowhere as quick. If those state are close will make a great car!
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Could have should have would have but no confirmation from Peugeot.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Could have should have would have but no confirmation from Peugeot.....
    I would say that comments made by Philippe Merckx are a bit more than just speculation...

If anything its great news and I, like many, hope that the 208 Gti gets the 230 Hp output. As Merckx already confirmed he is testing a 230 Hp output 1.6 but needs twaking due to torque steer.

So its really a case of Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

But its work in progress. What remains to be seen is how well the power can be translated to the wheels in terms of mechanical grip with the least amount of intervention of electronic aids.

A good LSD and a well designed drive and suspension should do it.

One thing is very clear. He seems to want to replicate his 1.9 205 gti into a modern day hatch as best as possible. For this reason and as outlined above I think the 208 Gti will be a lot more special than the 206 & 207 Gti's.

So at present the actual facts are that there is a competition model being developed by Phillipe Merckx and that he is building a business case for a hot road going GTI to present to the decision makers at Peugeot head office for approval.

All else is speculation.....
    Last edited by Andrew Ch; 24th May 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes of course it is speculation, we all know that. Nevertheless, judging from official and unofficial noises being made by Peugeot, we can get an idea of what is likely, and we can dream about the specs Peugeot should release.

Andrew Ch, why so grumpy about a potential 230hp 208GTI???

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 2065SI View Post
    Yes of course it is speculation, we all know that. Nevertheless, judging from official and unofficial noises being made by Peugeot, we can get an idea of what is likely, and we can dream about the specs Peugeot should release.

Andrew Ch, why so grumpy about a potential 230hp 208GTI???
    I think he is more realistic than grumpy. The insurance rates in Europe for hot hatches with more than 180 bhp are extremely high, effectively a guarantee for poor sales. It's not going to happen, the math just does not work out (development and production costs vs projected sales). Look at the bhp figures in the market segment. It would be like expecting the WRC DS3 to go into production. But generating hype for a hot mid-price hatch is standard practice, and it is obviously working!

Not grumpy at all I'd buy one : )

If you read any of my posts regarding the 208 GTI all I disagree with is speculation and hearsay presented as fact.....

Fellow Frogger!

Until it is actually officially released, of course it is all conjecture. No one on here has claimed they can predict the future and know exactly what kind of 208 GTi will become reality..

I just don't get all the grouchiness. We should save that for when yet another GTi fails to live up to expectations.
    Last edited by 2065SI; 26th May 2012 at 12:56 PM.

I agree with Thanos : )

Not grumpy at all I'd buy one : )

If you read any of my posts regarding the 208 GTI all I disagree with is speculation and hearsay presented as fact.....
    Yeah, like the 208 Gti would not be produced...

Quote Originally Posted by ThanosK View Post
    I think he is more realistic than grumpy. The insurance rates in Europe for hot hatches with more than 180 bhp are extremely high, effectively a guarantee for poor sales. It's not going to happen, the math just does not work out (development and production costs vs projected sales). Look at the bhp figures in the market segment. It would be like expecting the WRC DS3 to go into production. But generating hype for a hot mid-price hatch is standard practice, and it is obviously working!

Hmmm, I am from Europe and grew up in the UK and still go back 2-3 times a year on business and I am not sure what you mean by insurance restrictions.

I think you need to look at the specs of the Golf Gti and the R version. 215 Hp and 265 respectivley and those models sell very well and do not seem to have insurance issues. Unless you're a pimpled 18 year old that is...

In fact why even test a 200 or 230 hp version 208 Gti if its not going to happen ?

Another point is how did Merckx get the go ahead to put the 1.9 into the 205 Gti back in the 80's which would have been seen exactly as you now see and perceive the 208 Gti power outputs.....

In conclusion these power outputs do not stand out today in comparison to other manufacturers models. What would is great power to weight in a great handling, safe and modern hatchback. VW made it work so why can't Peugeot ?

All that remains is to get the recepie right. Don't forget the 208 Gti is not scheduled for production at the earliest at the end of this year so Peugeot and Merckx have another 6 months to get things right.

Peugeot need something special that will offer that bit extra that the competition does not have. Not another run of the mill soft Gti !

The fact that they have got the 208 R2, talking about a "Rallye" and a good Gti tells you something....

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post
    Yeah, like the 208 Gti would not be produced...
    Still hasn't ....lol

It's all about the weight, power is the easy bit.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Banned

I could be dead in a year! But if im not and it is 230hp ill probably trade up.

Still hasn't ....lol
    I feel a bet coming on....

Thread Information