Dealership prices
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Dealership prices

What is the general opinion on getting genuine peugeot parts vs non-genuine ones?

I am completing a cam belt change and also replacing water pump and auxillary belts etc

I have been making a few inquiries, about seals and belts in particular, and find that more often than not, genuine peugeot parts are sometimes 3 times more expensive than non-genuine parts,

Is it worth forking out the extra to ensure the product is a high quality? Or do other companies do a pretty good job at replicating the real thing?

Advertisement

AFAIK, EAI and Caravelle (for example, as you appear to be in Melbourne) sell parts from the same OEM anyway, so depending on the car in question, you are buying the same parts (generally the same manufacturer like Purflux and Valeo, for example).

I think the only real issue is if you are buying genuine parts for some kind of warranty protection.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Caravelle & EAI are great for most items, however I always use a genuine cam belt.

There is some variation to the teeth profile with aftermarket belts so I'd rather not risk an engine with one.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

we've always used and supplied non genuine and never had an issue. It really is usually the same part as genuine but with out genuine packaging.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Okay, FYI the car is a 205 GTI

Another thing is shock absorbers, from what i have researched, you are best going for standard Peugeot shock setup on the rear for general road use, does this mean i have to get them from a dealer? $150 each, or are they similar again from EAI, caravelle etc?

1000+ Posts

If you can still get the genuine Peugeot shock absorber, grab it, they will be worth the extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    If you can still get the genuine Peugeot shock absorber, grab it, they will be worth the extra.
    I can get the 205 shocks (the dealer will import them from the UK) for about $150 each, alternatively, i can also source 306 GTI-6 shocks for an extra $10 each, and they are in stock within australia,

i have heard the GTI-6 shocks are good, considering the circumstances, regardless of whether they need to import them or not (i am in no rush) would one reccomend genuine 205 GTI, or GTI-6 shocks?

Cheers

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jack205 View Post
    I can get the 205 shocks (the dealer will import them from the UK) for about $150 each, alternatively, i can also source 306 GTI-6 shocks for an extra $10 each, and they are in stock within australia,

i have heard the GTI-6 shocks are good, considering the circumstances, regardless of whether they need to import them or not (i am in no rush) would one reccomend genuine 205 GTI, or GTI-6 shocks?

Cheers

Jack
    Where can you get genuine OEM 205 GTI shocks in Australia ? I am looking for a full set (front and rear).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Regan Motors (hawthorn) reckon they can order them from the UK with about a 3 week wait! He was initially unsure whether they could still get them so chances are that i call up again and they wont be available,

I would have thought if one dealer can source them, then others can too?? They would have the same supplier (peugeot UK) anyway.

So back to the question, would you be better off going the original GTI OEM, or GTI-6 OEM? I am not concerned about a comfortable ride, but at the same time, not going to be taking it to the track

VIP Sponsor

Regan Motors (hawthorn) reckon they can order them from the UK with about a 3 week wait! He was initially unsure whether they could still get them so chances are that i call up again and they wont be available,

I would have thought if one dealer can source them, then others can too?? They would have the same supplier (peugeot UK) anyway.

So back to the question, would you be better off going the original GTI OEM, or GTI-6 OEM? I am not concerned about a comfortable ride, but at the same time, not going to be taking it to the track
    Original 205 GTi, why get something not designed for your car?
    Used GTi6 ones are probably a good thing as they will have softened a bit and maybe spot on for the 205 then?
    Graham

Regan Motors (hawthorn) reckon they can order them from the UK with about a 3 week wait!
    I should clarify..

I just gave them a call, they said that they could order them, but first would have to send an enquiry to the UK to make sure they have them, so they are far from confirmed being 'available'

I just called them and they said they would need to chase it up in France. Left contacts, so they can ring back, will report outcome.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I just called them and they said they would need to chase it up in France. Left contacts, so they can ring back, will report outcome.
    They are probably wondering why there is such a demand for them all of a sudden hah, i requested the same information, will hear back soon!

1000+ Posts

Just an aside. I remember reading an interview with a Peugeot engineer around the time of the 205/405. He was absolutely scathing of those suspension places that offer a free check and remarkably your relatively new car needs new shock absorbers. He was adamant that very, very few Peugeots would be needing their shock absorbers replaced and was horrified that the high quality Peugeot units would be replaced by much inferior products. He said the shock absorbers were designed to last the life of the car. Of course by now 205's have probably used up several lives.

FYI all dealers are now hooked up to a worldwide database and will import parts from Franca first and if not available then from any other country where they are available.

As far as OEM suspension parts the front struts for the 205 GTI were still available six months ago for about $600 each. The rear shocks are now listed as the same part number as a GTI6.

IMO the OEM parts are superior to most aftermarket products both in ride quality and standard of manufacture for a factory ( standard ) setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    FYI all dealers are now hooked up to a worldwide database and will import parts from Franca first and if not available then from any other country where they are available.

As far as OEM suspension parts the front struts for the 205 GTI were still available six months ago for about $600 each. The rear shocks are now listed as the same part number as a GTI6.

IMO the OEM parts are superior to most aftermarket products both in ride quality and standard of manufacture for a factory ( standard ) setup.
    That's why I want OEM.

I would be very grateful if you told me where were the shocks listed as available six months ago?

From France three weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    From France three weeks....

This is kind of vague. Do you have a business name, or phone #?

I always try to support local suppliers for most parts. (EAI have been very good in the past).

However.........
    some of the bits are soooo expensive here, you are forced to buy from overseas.

Genuine parts are usually 1/2 to 1/3 the $$$$ from the UK or mainland Europe.
    eg vac pump for the 307 HDi....nearly $600 in Aust, 195euro OS, ...electro pneumatic valves..+$100 here and not available....43euro OS .??????

All up under $400 for the lot and 10days to turn up.

Welcome the net....trust is building in a number of OS suppliers and this will cost Australian suppliers...especially the dealers.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    That's why I want OEM.

I would be very grateful if you told me where were the shocks listed as available six months ago?
    That's like the 505 shocks, there used to be a specific shock for each type of spring, as the car got older they just got superseded to one type.
    Not so important for older cars.
    Incidentally I've been told the new OEM 505 GTi shocks are nowhere near as good as the originals.
    Graham

But if you are after OEM, is anybody able to name any suppliers in the uk to buy direct from? I am also happy to support EAI etc but for something that they don't supply ( OEM shocks) an alternative is needed

This discussion is abut finding what we need. If someone has a phone number of a business that can get or has in stock the OEM shocks, wherever it is, please post it here.

I can buy any number of aftermarket shocks, but don't want to, no matter where the company selling them is located.

To my knowledge you can only buy OEM shocks and struts through a dealer, mine was Regans in Victoria but any Peugeot dealer can supply.

If you add freight costs on buying from an overseas dealer it just doesn't make sense. Aftermarket products yes, OEM No for most parts.

So you just need to decide what you're after and what you're prepared to pay....

I take it you don't have any reliable source.

Good luck trying any dealer. Their records don't span back that far so their computers don't recognise 205GTI VIN numbers.

If they don't ask for your VIN number, then you are very likely to get aftermarket parts, not OEM.

I have told my story at nauseam, the local dealer in WA does not recognise any 205GTI VIN numbers and they don't have any other way of finding the parts.

I have not managed to buy anything off them, and that includes simple things like spark plugs, filters or belts.

They don't care either.

I have a reliable source, Regans in Victoria as previously mentioned. I also have some spare parts contacts overseas however OEM parts of significance are still only available through a Peugeot dealer. This may not suit some people but just happens to be fact.

Also we have covered this before just recently but here goes, again. The software the dealer uses is called Servicebox. It now only recognizes 1991 and onwards VIN numbers which you don't have. If you are that desperate pm me and I will supply a VIN number for you to use but you will still need to do some homework to determine if the Series 3 parts will fit your earlier car.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information