Faulty 406 Cruise Control
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Faulty 406 Cruise Control

I have a 406 ST auto (4 cyl) and the cruise control started working intermittently, then not at all. When I set it on the stalk I can hear a click from behind the glove box somewhere (like a relay activating) but the speed does not hold. Any ideas on where to look? I don't even know where the control module is located. All of the under bonnet fuses seem ok.

Advertisement

In mine it was the vacuum sensor next to the throttle control under the bonnet (V6 Auto) that was perished (it has a rubber diaphragm). Got a new one from the UK and fitted it myself...all good now.
    Last edited by mandc; 22nd May 2012 at 11:40 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattP View Post
    I have a 406 ST auto (4 cyl) and the cruise control started working intermittently, then not at all. When I set it on the stalk I can hear a click from behind the glove box somewhere (like a relay activating) but the speed does not hold. Any ideas on where to look? I don't even know where the control module is located. All of the under bonnet fuses seem ok.
    The control gear is located behind the glove box and I guess tied up with the speed control unit. If it's not the diaphragm, it might be a dry electrical connection. 406's - nice when they're going right, a pain when they're not!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Default Keep Cruising

This may sound silly:- check the adjustment of your brake light switch on the brake peddle, touching the brakes releases the cruise control.

Good Luck
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    This may sound silly:- check the adjustment of your brake light switch on the brake peddle, touching the brakes releases the cruise control.

Good Luck
    +1

This was the problem with my 307

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for the tips. I checked the diaphram, its seems in really good condition. I'll check the brake switch next, I never would have thought of that. Failing that, I'll attend to the connections behind the glove box, it's a rats nest back there.

Ta,

Matt.

The earth point for the cc is via the rear LH stop light check and clean contacrts and earth points - this was my main problem
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

When mine played up (V6 SV) the vacuum hose had come off the diaphram body. Immediately apparent if you have a look.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

Turns out the ECU (near glove box) is fried and it can be repaired for $400. Ouch! Seem to be a hard item to get second hand as it's a common problem. I know it's unlikely, but has anyone got a spare out there?

You're joking. The Hella box? I would have a spare here, for sure - and a lot less than $400.

The reason they're rare secondhand is wreckers can't be arsed getting them out - it is a fiddle on many PSA cars.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You're joking. The Hella box? I would have a spare here, for sure - and a lot less than $400.

The reason they're rare secondhand is wreckers can't be arsed getting them out - it is a fiddle on many PSA cars.

I'm not sure. I was told the the Computer was toast by the uto electrician. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the Hella box. It if it the same unit I would be interested? Thanks.

The cruise control "computer" is made by Hella. Assorted versions are fitted to Audi, BMW, Volvo, Peugeot and CitroŽn among others. It's a silver box about 80mm wide, 25mm thick and 150mm long with mounting ears of metal strapping.

They do occasionally suffer from dry joints in the solder, however most non-electrical failures are vacuum leaks, whether from failed bellows or a break in the vacuum line to the bellows. Problems with the stalk contacts and brake switch are quite common.

Did your sparky have a circuit diagram?

Tadpole

I think he had a circuit diagram. He said the vacuum pump had seized and he was able to free that up. I'm sure he said that the freezing of that unit caused the computer to be fry. I'm sure the stalks were working because after it failed I could hear the relay clicking under the glove box when I engaged cruise on the stalk. However, after I had it looked at by a mechanic (who sent me to the auto electrician) it clicked no more. Are the boxes the same for all models or would I need one for an early 4 cyl petrol auto. Thanks.

I'm fairly confident that all Pug/Cit boxes with the same plug, interchange. Have you sighted the box?

If you wanted, and are not in a screaming hurry, send me your box and I'll test it on car (return postage at your expense) - my car has it easily accessible and can be swapped in about five minutes.

Tadpole

I wish I did, it's with the computer repair, I stopped the process when informed of the cost. I would have to get it couriered back to me before getting it to you. I'll find out how long it would take to get it back wherever it is. Do you really need the faulty replacement, I'm willing to take a chance on it fitting. If not I would just courier it back to you covering all costs.

Tadpole

Here is one on EBAY in the UK for a 2.0 406 coupe. It has Peugeot and Citroen on the box.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280973167...84.m1423.l2649

Bummer. I normally like to get one back of this sort of thing as most are fixable.

I'll check the cheapest one I have first, tomorrow and make sure it is working fully. If so, I'd like $40 plus registered post cost.

Tadpole

Thanks very much, send me a pm when you have it sorted. I'll ask about getting the other one back.

Having looked today, the two spares I believe reasonable both have the earlier plug (Bosch style with captive wire clip). The later type with a red pull-tab on the connector, I have no spares of. Most likely this is your type (approx '97 onwards).

I can almost certainly swap endplates, but again it would come down to needing your original box.

Tadpole

Mine does have the red pull-tab. I'll find out if I can get the old one back tomorrow. Thanks.

Thread Information