Redex Rerun 2013
  • Register
  • Help
    VIP Sponsor

Default Redex Rerun 2013

Just about to ramp up preparations for the 60th Anniversary Rerun of the 1953 Peugeot 203 win in the first Redex Trial.
    The event will follow the original route from Sydney to Townsville, Tennant Creek, Darwin, Alice Springs, Adelaide, Melbourne a detour to Canberra then back to Sydney. The event will run for 4 weeks starting in Sydney on the 12th of May 2013.
    This route is today totally sealed so will be suitable for the at times 60 year old cars expected to take part.
    We would expect at least half the cars to be 203 and 403 Peugeots but will accept others including other makes of the 1950s at the organiser's discretion, the more 03s we get the more others we will accept.
    In contrast to the extravaganza that occurred in 2003 we are going for a more laid back approach this time.
    I for one am finished with trying to get public exposure for any motoring event, those days are long gone now except for the AGP and Taxi Racing, consequently this event will be run for the benefit of the participants. It is also looking unlikely that PAA will be involved in the event although we are more than happy to become involved with individual dealer promotions as long as they are worthwhile.
    The 2003 rerun was organised as a CAMS Touring Road Event, this time it will be a non competitive tour but we will be running some events on the side such as Motorkhanas and Economy Runs. There will be winners of these events but no overall event winner.
    As in 2003 there will be a truck supplied (thanks to Les Jennings) so spares and luggage can be carried.

Advertisement

I would like to delegate as much of the organisation as possible so would like to hear from anyone around the above route who has ideas of functions and destinations that could be incorporated into the event and would like to be involved.

Interest has been good so far and many people have bought or are preparing 203s in order to do the event.

Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 20th May 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Tadpole

Default CAMS licence

Graham, do I need to apply for a CAMS licence for the Redex Rerun ?
    regards
    Richard

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by digger.203 View Post
    Graham, do I need to apply for a CAMS licence for the Redex Rerun ?
    regards
    Richard
    To enter the handful of sub events you will need to.
    Only $50 and you can do it at the start.
    You will probably need to be a member of PCCV as we will be using PCCV's insurance to cover the touring side of the run.
    Will get back when we get this sorted, maybe better to take out a non competitive CAMS permit, for the touring side with a number of standalone permits for the occasional sub event we may run.
    Graham

Default 403 - Qld - road registered - suit Redex rerun

Graham,

1960 403 - Qld rego - OOH 403: a doctors car* driven only on Sunday, at least this week ...

As you might recall I rebuilt a 1960 403 as a 'rally replica'. It was a slightly modified car that has wider wheels and a floorshift, strenghtened front bumper (not the one in the video below) high backed buckets (that need recovering), 350 mm sports steering wheel with 325 mm alternative for the straightline bits, even an in car operated front air-scoop ... it is meant for a Redex re-run, not for the restoration nut.

There was an original thread with lots of photos on the pre-crash aussiefrogs site.

The car was bought in 2005 from a fellow frogger. It went to the 2009 (?) FCD in Qld a few years back. It yearns to run in a Redex but has never made it. Family circumstances prevent me from running it in 2013.

My daughter put together a video some time-back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZ69d5kG7U

The rally stickers have gone and it sits in its hand painted (grey kill-rust) glory. The rims are ex Richard Marken 5.5 inch, but it also has a set of 5 3/4 inch (running 205s) with the right offset. Even the towbar has a story to tell (thanks Pete!). It has lots of fixed bits including the rebuilt brakes, rebuilt clutch you sold me, new rear shockers, front end rebuilt, head, carby, alternator; and all the electrics work. It would drive to Sydney for the start without a hitch.

It will be for reluctant sale sometime later in 2012. I just can't get my head around it going but it will be sold (I bought another french car recently for the daily drive and I will just run my 404 African ute on weekends). I honestly don't know what it is worth. It will appear latter in the year in various media with a Qld safety certificate, when I get around to it ....

I drove it today and it is as nice as ...

friday403 (Chris Andrews)

* OK, an academic doctor ...

1000+ Posts

Graham, it might be completely impossible to answer this, but have you any idea what it is likely to cost to enter the run?
    I expect there will be lots of dinners and accomodations and that kind of thing.
    I have noticed that many club events that I sometimes fancy going to have very expensive price tags for me and I simply can't afford them.
    I know a lot of folk in the club are doctors and lawyers and retirees on reasonable money, but I am way below that.
    So I wonder if there is a bargain basement type entry going that covers insurance[although that should already be covered individually] and the time and trouble and expenses required to organize the thing so that people like you will not be out of pocket?
    Such a fee would allow participation but would require such participants to fend for themselves with regard to food and accomodation and would also mean a user pays system for any repairs required along the way.
    Of course this might cause a kind of 203 adorned gypsy style mobile tent embassy of pissheads and yahoos disturbing the peace along the way, which could be quite entertaining.
    Wot do you say?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Graham, it might be completely impossible to answer this, but have you any idea what it is likely to cost to enter the run?
    I expect there will be lots of dinners and accomodations and that kind of thing.
    I have noticed that many club events that I sometimes fancy going to have very expensive price tags for me and I simply can't afford them.
    I know a lot of folk in the club are doctors and lawyers and retirees on reasonable money, but I am way below that.
    So I wonder if there is a bargain basement type entry going that covers insurance[although that should already be covered individually] and the time and trouble and expenses required to organize the thing so that people like you will not be out of pocket?
    Such a fee would allow participation but would require such participants to fend for themselves with regard to food and accomodation and would also mean a user pays system for any repairs required along the way.
    Of course this might cause a kind of 203 adorned gypsy style mobile tent embassy of pissheads and yahoos disturbing the peace along the way, which could be quite entertaining.
    Wot do you say?
    Everyone will be organising their food (most of the time) and accommodation.
    If we organise any dinners they will be selected with value in mind and will be optional.
    Yet to decide on entry fee but would not like to see it go over $1000.
    2003 was $200 which was too cheap, 2006 was $2100 which was too expensive but brought on us by CAMS and their demands. This time we are going a lot more low key and CAMS have got a lot better with competition from AASA.
    Also, there shouldn't need to be much need to get out there and survey the route this time. We do have expenses though, the fuel for the backup truck needs to be paid for for instance.
    We may set a charge per week, then you can join in for a shorter time if you wish.
    Any ideas welcome,
    Graham

1000+ Posts

One idea would be to approach companies for sponsorship, as that was the original reason for redex.
    Penrite springs to mind.
    Maybe some of the auto shops who like to be groovy. Auto 1 and Supercheap being obvious rivals always have their own news broadcast while you shop.
    Some of the tyre people too, Michelin for instance.
    And of course Peugeot itself.
    Others who might put their hand in could be parts retailers or repairers. Big removeable stickers could be made up for cars to wear and all that jazz.
    Maybe I've seen too much television.
    But that sponsorship would produce publicity by default.
    If any of that sounds sensible I'm sure some of us could come up with a bit of copy.
    Some of that could go into paying for the organisation and anything left over could be divided up between the drivers. Ha ha.
    We might get paid to go.

1000+ Posts

In 2003 I remember some individual entrants did get sponsorships and carried advertising on their cars. The difference is the economy seeems tougher now, at least down south, companies like Auspine that gave some support have gone and Peugeot Australia is a much leaner operation. But there's nothing to stop people chasing local businesses.
    The big cost risk is having a car break down far from home. Last time I believe cars were got going again with parts from the truck and a car was transported back to Melbourne. I'm sure no car would be left stranded. In 2003 there was a lot of local publicity as the cars travelled around.

Thread Information