205 gti classic...
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 gti classic...

As title this shouldnt hang around too long...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...&cr=3&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963814 4294963064 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5

Advertisement

Well going off another forum user this is a bad one...

Looks tidy as well...

Yea looks tidy, low Ks etc. Whats the Goss then?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I actually flew from Sydney to Adelaide today just to look at this car. Big disappointment, and I don't think I can remember the last time I was treated as rudely as I was by the owner. I spoke with him on Friday morning and all sounded good so I said I would book flights to come down to Adelaide to see the car in the morning. After I had booked the (non-refundable) tickets for the time agreed, he then completely ignored several phone messages, a couple of texts and an email asking for his address. I eventually got hold of him once I was in Adelaide and got the address However, he then left me waiting at his place for 45 minutes before bothering to turn up. All this despite the fact the he knew I had flown all the way from Sydney just to see his car!

Anyway, the car... This is advertised as 'concours'. It drives well, but the condition is otherwise anything but concours:
    • Advertised as having full history. When I asked to see said history, the owner said he had lost it. I asked when was the last time cam belts were changed or any major service. He didn't know. So the car has no history.
    • The instrument binacle had obviously been removed and was loose. I asked why. He said the speedo cable had been broken for some months but he had adjusted the odo to where it should be if the cable hadn't been broken. Yeah - like I believe that.
    • The car has clearly been resprayed. I asked why, and he said it had had a rear end accident that he had had fixed. Of course, no receipts or details. I asked why there was overspray at the front. He said he couldn't remember....
    • The paintwork is covered in significant scratches, especially on the hatch. I have no idea how you would get some many scratches on a car that is supposed to be loved.
    • The leather on the front seats has been replaced but it is not a good job and sticthing is coming apart again. Back seats have not been recovered and now the leather looks so hard and cracked as to be beyond salvage.
    • Both drivers' seats are flogging about completely loose on their mounts, the centre console is not attached, sunroof is completely seized, carpets are worn and faded, both doors have started to sag, boot handle is flogging about loose etc etc
    • Front bumper, blinkers and headlights don't quite line up. It's clearly had a little hit or two at the front. Not the end of the world, but in a car that is advertised as 'concours'??
    This car might be okay for $6k, but I am furious that this guy led me on to spend $500 on airfares to see a car that has been grossly misrepresented.

If anyone else is thinking of travelling to see this car, PM me first and I am happy to have a chat before you spend money on air fares.

Richard

That's very disappointing. I came across this ad today and it looks quite good (although im not a huge fan of the sorrento green to be honest!) Ive learned myself that the history on these cars is bloody important, as ive spent a lot of money on mine which i only bought 2 months ago and it didnt have the greatest history. seems like $8500 is asking a bit too much

Banned

Hey that sounds like the one i saw in sydney, was it owned by a short italian guy, also did it have NSW plates.

Sorrento 205 gti
    Last edited by anesti; 19th May 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Mmmmm same one clocks adjusted to what he thinks they should read ie from 56k to 138k.. Or whatever they are...

The plot thickens....

PM sent Richard. I was planning a SYD-ADL trip to see this too!

Not sure about this being the same car as the 56km one, although I have no idea. The plates on the Adelaide one seem to be the original (right ear anyway). As far as I know 'V' reg plates in SA cannot be reissued the same way 'R' or 'S' can - but correct me if I'm wrong.

Banned

Yes , could just be a coincidence. But they have simular faults.

The car is on SA rego and, in terms of originality, it looked pretty correct. The motor also pulled strong, the car turned in okay and it pulled up straight. I don't doubt that this guy has owned the car for sime time, and I could believe that the speedo reading might not be too far wrong. However, in every other way it was not a car that was well looked after. The owner is an architect who looks like he spends lots of time agonising over shirts, but clearly doesn't bother taking care of his cars.

Banned

Did you check if the rear suspention squeeked?

yes. I couldn't get it to make and squeaks.

Post his email address on here so we can ALL send him a copy of you post.

....WHAT A PRICK!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Classics aren't another hugely special. Yes there only 30 of them but they are green on green. No mechanical difference (from what I can remember).

They were a run out model weren't they?

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGTI View Post
    I came across this ad today and it looks quite good (although im not a huge fan of the sorrento green to be honest!)
    You should be set then - I think the Classic actually came in Mayerling Green
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by DjB8V View Post
    Classics aren't another hugely special. Yes there only 30 of them but they are green on green. No mechanical difference (from what I can remember).

They were a run out model weren't they?

Chris
    Yes, my understanding is the classic was a run-out pack. Differences from a standard series 3 that I am aware of are:
    • Different colour - Mayerling green (thanks Simon and Andrew!)
    • slight bronze tint on the wheels
    • no reflector panel at the back - just body colour
    • sunroof with an additional wind deflector
    • 10 stack CD player
    • full leather
    • grey carpets and red trim on the door
    • Fairly bad looking "Classic" stickers on the side and back; and
    • a kitch "X of 30" badge glued onto the dash above the glovebox.
    I have no particular desire for a Classic - just looking for a nice series 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Yes, my understanding is the classic was a run-out pack. Differences from a standard series 3 that I am aware of are:
    • Different colour - Mayerling green (thanks Simon and Andrew!)
    • slight bronze tint on the wheels
    • no reflector panel at the back - just body colour
    • sunroof with an additional wind deflector
    • 10 stack CD player
    • full leather
    • grey carpets and red trim on the door
    • Fairly bad looking "Classic" stickers on the side and back; and
    • a kitch "X of 30" badge glued onto the dash above the glovebox.

I have no particular desire for a Classic - just looking for a nice series 3.
    Understood. Plan and simple, Series 3s are very nice to drive compared to the older ones. A Series 3 daily would be a perfect match for my almost complete hot 1989 (series 1.5??) 205GTI

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    I actually flew from Sydney to Adelaide today just to look at this car. Big disappointment, and I don't think I can remember the last time I was treated as rudely as I was by the owner. I spoke with him on Friday morning and all sounded good so I said I would book flights to come down to Adelaide to see the car in the morning. After I had booked the (non-refundable) tickets for the time agreed, he then completely ignored several phone messages, a couple of texts and an email asking for his address. I eventually got hold of him once I was in Adelaide and got the address However, he then left me waiting at his place for 45 minutes before bothering to turn up. All this despite the fact the he knew I had flown all the way from Sydney just to see his car!

Anyway, the car... This is advertised as 'concours'. It drives well, but the condition is otherwise anything but concours:
    • Advertised as having full history. When I asked to see said history, the owner said he had lost it. I asked when was the last time cam belts were changed or any major service. He didn't know. So the car has no history.
    • The instrument binacle had obviously been removed and was loose. I asked why. He said the speedo cable had been broken for some months but he had adjusted the odo to where it should be if the cable hadn't been broken. Yeah - like I believe that.
    • The car has clearly been resprayed. I asked why, and he said it had had a rear end accident that he had had fixed. Of course, no receipts or details. I asked why there was overspray at the front. He said he couldn't remember....
    • The paintwork is covered in significant scratches, especially on the hatch. I have no idea how you would get some many scratches on a car that is supposed to be loved.
    • The leather on the front seats has been replaced but it is not a good job and sticthing is coming apart again. Back seats have not been recovered and now the leather looks so hard and cracked as to be beyond salvage.
    • Both drivers' seats are flogging about completely loose on their mounts, the centre console is not attached, sunroof is completely seized, carpets are worn and faded, both doors have started to sag, boot handle is flogging about loose etc etc
    • Front bumper, blinkers and headlights don't quite line up. It's clearly had a little hit or two at the front. Not the end of the world, but in a car that is advertised as 'concours'??
    This car might be okay for $6k, but I am furious that this guy led me on to spend $500 on airfares to see a car that has been grossly misrepresented.

If anyone else is thinking of travelling to see this car, PM me first and I am happy to have a chat before you spend money on air fares.

Richard
    I sold a better one that that for $2200. Not Classic but 94 model which is close.

For anyone who might still be interested in this car...

The regular mechanic for the car kindly called me back this morning, replying to messages I left on Friday and Saturday (Stuart at Charles St Auto - seemed like a lovely guy, and I'd definitely give him a try if I lived in Adelaide.) Anyway, he confirmed that, in his view, the car is basically mechanically sound, but warned me that the car has a number of issues that would need a bit of money spent to bring it up to standard.

Issues that he mentioned were as follows:
    • The car is long overdue for a cam belt. Obviously should do water pump, rear (?) engine mount at the same time. Budget about $900?
    • They've had problems for a long time with the car not starting that they've not been able to find or sort out. Could that be related to a dead cat converter (see below)?
    • The cat converter is is dead and the rest of the exhaust from cat back also is paper thin and needs full replacement. Stuart suggested about $400 for a generic cat converter and $600 for the rest of the exhaust?
    • He mentioned a list of hoses under the bonnet that are overdue for replacement - not big money, but seem to me indicative of this guy's attitude to maintaining his 'concours' car. That also fits with the fact that the induction system is held together with gaffa tape...
    • He thinks valve seals may need doing.
    • Stuart said he had a list of other issues, but I stopped him there and confessed that I had already decided against purchasing the car.
    Unless the owner finds a sucker, presumably this car is going to come down in price substantially before too long. If you leave yourself a substantial buffer to spend on fixing it up, I'm sure it could form the base for a good car. But I'd be sure to talk to Stuart first!
    Last edited by Richard W; 21st May 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected fault description

If it comes down to $5k I would consider it

Apparently a local just paid $8,000 for it. And they already have a series 1 so should know what to look for in a 205!

Theres one born every minute!!

an extraordinary (if not unusual) story.
    much thanks Richard for telling it.
    as 205s continue to age and dwindle in number,
    the value of aussiefrogs in helping us 205 tragics
    share the knowledge can only increase.

I wonder the clasic I just link up for is this?? the link is 16/30 I wish I had build number on this link...

Just doen soe reserach and it appears this aint been up for sale on here befroe..

The other one mentioned above was number 13/30

Thread Information