Creaking/groaning suspension from a 206
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Creaking/groaning suspension from a 206

Hey people,

Wouldn't mind getting your opinion on this one. My gti 180 is being a downright pain with a creaking/groaning sound intermitently coming from what seems to be the passenger side of the car whilst driving. The sound tends to be heard more when driving slowly over a lightly corrugated road section with a bit of a thumping noise associated with it.

It should be noted that the car also has bilsteins fitted about a year or so ago with adjustable strut tops too. I also noticed that there is a slight nocking sound when turning the steering wheel slightly from side to side, again coming more from the passenger side.

Mechanic has had a look at it but is baffled as to what can be causing the sound. Even more so a pain considering that it is hard to induce the sound consistently.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Not sure about 206's, but does it have polyurethane suspension bushes ?

Fellow Frogger!

Not sure to be honest, they look plain rubber bushes to me.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Have you considered the control arms? im not sure if this applies to the 180.

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop...sp/206susp.htm

Also could be the rubber strut tops have sagged.
    the sag won't be visibly noticeable with the strut assembled and you won't be able to feel any play ether, so its hard to be shore without removing and dismantling the strut.
    If it has sagged, you will notice that the eye of the mount sits to one side rather then directly in the middle of the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post

What's the best place , approx price to purchase the control arms from in Sydney for a GTi 180?

Common problem with 206 lower suspension arm centre bush wears (have replaces 3 of them on 4 of my 206's) Symtoms are exactly as described you can not replicate noise whilst stationary hence baffled mechanic.
    NIMBIN

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    Also could be the rubber strut tops have sagged.
    the sag won't be visibly noticeable with the strut assembled and you won't be able to feel any play ether, so its hard to be shore without removing and dismantling the strut.
    If it has sagged, you will notice that the eye of the mount sits to one side rather then directly in the middle of the mount.
    Not sure if it is that as my car has adjustable camber plates on top.
    Bad_Karma

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by kinroh View Post

Could well be. Thanks for that!
    Bad_Karma

Quote Originally Posted by lisaskye View Post
    What's the best place , approx price to purchase the control arms from in Sydney for a GTi 180?
    Not sure on prices, it wouldn't be much anyway. I had my engine mounts replaced at Parramatta Prestige they are quite experienced with the 206s, the mechanic there Joe, knows his stuff, he did the job for 450 where as pedders wanted 950 for it. so i know they do well on prices (they do used 2nd hand parts though)

Thread Information