TATA engines
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: TATA engines

Default TATA engines

Anyone know anything about TATA's? Anyone willing to admit it.

Advertisement

I know there supose to use Pug engines but what type.
    Just had someone looking for a head for a 2004 TATA ute and all they could tell me was that its OHC turbo diesel 1.9 litre. I would guess its 405 but his engine number isn't Pug and over the phone we've no way of telling.
    Someone once told me it was the old 504/505 engine with TATA's own designed OHC head
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Adopted son has had one from new. All his kids have learnt to drive it, all have pranged it, he carts his beehives everywhere with it and you can't kill it with a stick. It is a Peugeot derived engine but I have never taken any interest in it. I will ask him and get back to you if someone else hasn't.
    FLASH

One of my brothers had one, he is dynamite on all things mechanical and blew it up a couple of times with no effort at all.

All I remember from rebuilding a head for him once when he destroyed the original was that all buckets all had to be individually shimmed. We sourced TATA parts, so I can't cross reference for you. I have a feeling that his was more than 1.9l, I had an idea it was 2.1 or 2.3 L. Fuel pump arrangement was nothing like a 405TD though.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Tata used the same Peugeot engines as Mahindra in their infamous and indestructible Jeep.

These were the old 2.1 and then the 2.3 Diesels that were used in the 504 but with different intakes. Later they used the 1.9 non turbo and still do. The intake, fuel filter, fuel pump and exhaust manifold is different compared to the standard 405 XUD.

Tata now own Jaguar and Land Rover which both use the PSA V6 3.0 Hdi.

Quote Originally Posted by 908HDI View Post
    Tata used the same Peugeot engines as Mahindra in their infamous and indestructible Jeep.

These were the old 2.1 and then the 2.3 Diesels that were used in the 504 but with different intakes. Later they used the 1.9 non turbo and still do. The intake, fuel filter, fuel pump and exhaust manifold is different compared to the standard 405 XUD.

Tata now own Jaguar and Land Rover which both use the PSA V6 3.0 Hdi.
    I'm sure he said it was 1.9 TD but some of these mechanics wouldn't know. He spoke like a old world trady (every second word was f.... this and f.... that) so I dont give him much credibility.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Hi Dave -sounds like he was FFFFFF ll aa mm ii nn gg FFFFF FFFF FFFFF ll aaa aaaa bb bb bb bb eerr gg gg aa aaa ssss tttt eee dddddddddddd!! ????.
    I remember Ian Sheridan-one of the brothers who owned one of the G.T. Foulcans that used to race up to the concrete plant up the road had a Tata in the early days.Ian bought one which that needed a head-Did not want to pay around 2 grand for a new head as I think he paid around $500 for it.
    In the end it want TATA to the crusher.
    Would be nice to know 'what is what'-Maybe someone in the West knows something about the Mahindra engine as they were pretty well promoted over there.
    worth.
    Pekay.

Thread Information