Question for the prv brain trust
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Question for the prv brain trust

We plan to replace the piston rings in a PRV and I am wondering if the crankshaft bearings must also be replaced. We replaced the bearings 2,200 km ago so they should be in good shape, but do they get compromised during the piston ring change? I am not too concerned about the cost of the bearings, it's the 1,000 km break-in period that is the real PITA. The piston rings we will be using require fewer than 50 km for break-in.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

unless you suspect the bearings to have suffered oil starvation or other damage i can't see a reason to change them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    unless you suspect the bearings to have suffered oil starvation or other damage i can't see a reason to change them
    Thanks, Rambo. Just to be sure I am asking the question correctly as works cranks are hard to come by:

I am fairly certain that the bearings are fine, oil temp and pressure were always spot on and the sump is gated.

The piston rings are worn and will be replaced, this requires that we remove the conrods (hence the bearings) from the crankshaft.

My mechanic is concerned that if the bearings are reinstalled the tolerances will not be very good, but he has no experience rebuilding PRV engines.

So just to confirm: is it safe to install the same crankshaft bearings after taking them off to replace the piston rings?

Default Yes

If they have not been damaged, they will be fine. Just don't get them mixed up and keep them in the same conrod. If you are nervous use some plastigauge to check clearance.

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you both, I will make sure everything is marked properly and we will re-use the bearings. It's a relief, avoiding a 1,000 km break-in; such wasteful wear on all the other rare parts (works gearbox and LSD, triple Webers etc), not to mention the pain of driving a rally car at 3,000 rpm for 20 hours.

Thread Information