406 coupé V6 auto
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 coupé V6 auto

I have the coupé for about 4 weeks and have done 1200km city drive on it.
    One thing that I have noted is that the gearbox it is in "no mans land" at 50 kph on the hilly road of the Hobart region.
    It is common this in this gearbox to not change gears as smooth as in standard cars?
    Do I need to gus it to 60 kph (breaking the law) for a short time for the gearbox to settle in 3rd?
    Also I have noticed that once thet the gearbox and engine are at normal operation temperature all is well.
    It do not have any problem at higher speeds (over 70kph) regardless of the temperature of the engine and gearbox.
    The car have done 125000 km.
    Your comments are appreciated

Advertisement

Both the gearboxes in my coupe have done this (the first one broke). The gearbox is very reluctant to change up gears until normal operating temperature is reached. The high revving is a bit of a pain but it usually only lasts a short time....not sure if it is done to reduce engine emissions or is just a 'feature' of those boxes.

The ZF 4HP20 has a special 'warm-up' program included in it to cause the engine to change up much later during the warm-up period of the engine. This is intentionally designed to cause the exhaust gasses and engine temperature to come up to operating temperatures quicker for emissions reasons.

As for it not being smooth, the 4HP20 in good condition is a beautifully smooth gearbox. Unfortunately by now there is usually a solenoid or two not functioning properly in the gearbox, causing harsh gear shifts and probably increasing wear on the clutches.

I never thought the gearbox in mine was in too bad shape, but after the rebuild, it was completely different, it is a sensational gearbox now that it's working properly.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thank you guys for the replies, I agree, once the gearbox is at normal temperature is the best auto gearbox that I have driven.
    I guess that on the next service I will ask the local Peugeot mechanic to lokk at it in case that need some service.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Art406 View Post
    Thank you guys for the replies, I agree, once the gearbox is at normal temperature is the best auto gearbox that I have driven.
    I guess that on the next service I will ask the local Peugeot mechanic to lokk at it in case that need some service.
    Cheers
    With that sort of mileage I would just go get prices for a service.
    My co. Aurion's auto was serviced for the first time at 150,000 and I could not believe what a difference it made. I had not realised how horid the thing had become. It happens so gradually you don't notice it. Now drives like new and changes very smoothly.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Thread Information