91 505 wagon electrics - again !
  • Register
  • Help

Default 91 505 wagon electrics - again !

Hi,

A couple of questions concerning the electrics on a 91 505 Family wagon:

1. Are the dash warning lights and air con electrics supposed to remain on when the ignition key is in the "accessory" position. On my car the they do which does not seem right (but then this is the first French car I have owned!). It is not possible to listen to the radio with the car stationary without the dash lights on and the fan operating. I've checked and the radio is definately wired up correctly.

2. It is not possible to switch from low beam to high beam. It is however possible to flash the high beams with the headlamps switched off or with only the parking lamps switched on. I doubt that it is the headlamp switch as I have already tried two replacements (used ones though) and I would expect that the high beams would not work at all if the switch were faulty. Tried replacing both relays in the fuse box but that did not make any difference and I am not sure if these cars even have a relay for the headlamps.

Any suggestions ? Thanks guys.

Advertisement

1. Yes, that is all normal behaviour for a 505, and most Peugeots as far as I have encountered.

2. That is a wierd one. The pin in the connector used for the high beams is the same one for 'flashing' the high beams. So if you can flash the lights, then everything else in the circuit is fine. Which means the problem is in the headlight switch.

Without sounding condescending, are you using the headlight switch correctly? Do you know how to flick the high beams on in a 505? It's a bit different to most cars, so it's always worth asking!

Furthermore, the headlight switches in S2 505s are very reliable, so it would seem unusual for you two have encountered two dead ones... very unlucky!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Had the same radio problem with my '92 wagon.
    In the absence of an owner's handbook, which mentions this under 'accessories' , look for the fuse that has a spare slot alongside it i.e. 3 slots. Refit the fuse into this slot.
    I believe the relevant fuse is on the right bank and about half way back.
    Pavel

Thanks for the tip about the radio fuse. Tried it and moving its position connects the radio supply to battery supply. Problem though with my radio is that it has an LCD backlight that only turns off when the power supply is cut - it still remains on if you just switch the radio off. On that basis I think the original fuse position is the lesser of the two evils.

Still can't work out the problem with the high beams. Checked the owner's manual and I can't see that I am doing anything wrong with the switch to operate it but I am open to any advice.

Also I could not find any headlamp fuses listed as being in the fuse box located on the RHS under the bonnet against the firewall. Am I missing something here or do 505's have unfused headlamps ??

Can't remember for certain whether the headlights are fused or not, but I don't think they are.

I've a copy of the wiring diagram / fault finding thingy here that I can (try to ) send you if you PM me your email address. But there's a lot of it - about 100 pages if memory serves.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Found out that I can get the high beams to stay on by putting the parking lights on and then pulling the stalk back toward the steering wheel and at the same time rotating the switch toward the "headlamps on" position.

However if the low beam headlamps are already on pulling the stalk back toward the steeing wheel or forward toward the instrument panel (as you would do in a normal car to activate high beams) does nothing.

This means:

1. Have to turn the low beams off first before high beams can be used
    2. Can't "flash" high beams if the low beams are already on. Can only flash high beams if the headlights are off or if only the parking lights are on.
    3. Can't easily toggle between low and high beams whilst driving

Is this how the headlights are supposed to operate or is something wrong with the switch ?

Icon10

Definitely something sadly wrong somewhere...... you didn't buy the car from a scruffy little beardie pom by any chance?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

My experience with the SII switch is that if not used regularly the contacts get a bit grubby.
    So....remove and spray in a can or two of CRC contact cleaner while moving the switches in all possible directions, (you may not be able to dismantle the switch.... which if you could, would be a short road to disaster anyway).

New switch blocks are still available.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

There's a brand new switch on ebay at the moment from Roland Pym. At a very good price too.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information