Thinking of buying a 4007.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Thinking of buying a 4007.

I have a selection of cars to buy...new....

Nothing wrong with my little 307HDi but SWMBO has said buy.....

So the choices are:

Advertisement

Subaru Forester Petrol Manual,
    Landrover Defender 90.

Peugeot 4007 ST Manual 2.2 Diesel.

Just canvasing opinions on the 4007.
    I can get it for $36000.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Defender or Freelander? The D90 seems the odd one out

I would get the D90, but then again. I not you and I certainly dont have to please your wife

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

1000+ Posts

Hi-Reckon you should drive the vehicles that you are considering.No good paying out the $$$$$$$$ & either you or 'the cook' are not happy.I always suggest people take the car for a good drive And particularly up your own driveway & down some of the rounds you frequent.
    I suppose you realise that the 4008 is due in June[?].Therefore there will be some good deals on the 4007 or you have the option of the 'latest

Depends on where you are at.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by Decca View Post
    I certainly dont have to please your wife

Decca
    And I certnatly can't..........
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

1000+ Posts

Hi-4008 is going to be under $30,000-I thought it was a 4007 replacement.Apparently it is smaller than the 4007.Please Consider????????

Pekay.
    Last edited by pekay49; 12th May 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: correction

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post

So the choices are:

Landrover Defender 90.

I can get it for $36000.
    After checking a few SUV's in the 4007 price range, we purchased a 4007 at the end of last year.

A really good car that gets better with miles & ownership. It was also the only vehicle in the $$ range with a 2 tonne towing capacity. The 2.2l diesel engine is a gem, & tows a single axle 1.5 tonne caravan with ease.
    We have the 6 speed auto, but the manual will be just as good. I also believe that there are currently good deals on the manual versions.

Cheers,
    K

I don't consider the 4008 to be a replacement of the 4007. Quality and aesthetics aside, the 4007 is larger, with a 2.2 HDi and a pretty good towing capacity, whereas the 4008 is none of these.

The 4008 is more for the urban set that need to be high up in a 4WD that is not really a 4WD (aka CX5, Tiguan, Dualis) so to speak - in other words, the market segment that is growing very rapidly.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

4008 is largely a Mitsubishi ASX (with a Mitsubishi petrol engine only at this stage). 4007 is based on the Mitsubishi Outlander, a significantly larger vehicle as has been said. If anything you might consider the 4008 to be a replacement of the 3008, the size is almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by markbesley View Post
    4008 is largely a Mitsubishi ASX (with a Mitsubishi petrol engine only at this stage). 4007 is based on the Mitsubishi Outlander, a significantly larger vehicle as has been said. If anything you might consider the 4008 to be a replacement of the 3008, the size is almost identical.
    4008 will have 4wd option based on the Mitsubishi ASX platform but different panels etc whereas the 3008 (ours) is front wheel drive only.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Anyway, I was at my friendly local dealer's parts division just 30 mins ago and I parked next to what I though was a white fridge. After looking at it before I got out, it suddenly dawned on me - it was a 4008

As you can see, it's not that big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of buying a 4007.-4008small.jpg  
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

4008, no comparison to 4007, for reasons already stated.
    Can somebody do a photo of both of them side-by-side, please.
    Had my 4007 ST Diesel auto 15-months now. Even though I got a great deal at the time, I think there are slightly better deals at the moment. Love to say I wish I had waited but honestly, I am every happy with my purchase. Engine is great & economical, beyond more than I imagined. Size is perfect, twin glove-box is great, loads of bottle-holders & storage spots, usb and so on. Only downer is Peugeot are unable to offer up a decent GPS media unit. Their original one, an option, is pretty bad, and I am still looking around. So if anyone has any ideas, contacts, weblinks....

Or you can buy a 2010 Mitsi VRX 3.0 ltr Outlander like my wife did so I could complain endlessly about how the gearbox is sh1t.
    All the extras dont make up for the fact that its half the car my Ford Territory was on autogas.
    And she agrees with me.
    And the Territory was $8000 cheaper!
    Have a good look around b4 buying an suv, dont stick to brand loyalty would be my advice.
    Cheers
    Keith
    1986 Ford Sierra RS Cosworth ( La Whore )
    Daily drive Widebody BMW 530d.

The 4007 has the same bits and pieces inside that mostly correlate with our Mitsy Lancer staff cars. Junk to be honest. Go for the Subaru. I did 1297 km's in a hire one and it was flawless, and solid on dirt and bitumen. It was fuel efficient, even thought it was a auto, and so much more solid that the Pug. In fact when I saw the Pug I was so disappointed in it that it kind of made me ashamed to say I drive a Pug. Nothing that I saw hit the mark.

I would avoid the 4007 if you want real motoring joy and value for money.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 607 View Post
    The 4007 has the same bits and pieces inside that mostly correlate with our Mitsy Lancer staff cars. Junk to be honest. Go for the Subaru. I did 1297 km's in a hire one and it was flawless, and solid on dirt and bitumen. It was fuel efficient, even thought it was a auto, and so much more solid that the Pug. In fact when I saw the Pug I was so disappointed in it that it kind of made me ashamed to say I drive a Pug. Nothing that I saw hit the mark.

I would avoid the 4007 if you want real motoring joy and value for money.

Subaru is rubbish,they work fine to about 200,000klm then they leak oil everywhere.engines are throw away!

I would wait until something better comes out,all your choices are not perfect!

Many people don't rack up enough mileage for engine wear and tear to be a real issue.

Fairly sure I read some years back that an average mileage for Sydney drivers was 15000-odd, with many doing quite a bit less. At such a rate, if you change your car every five years, it's unlikely to reach 100K even with extra journeys mixed in.

if you are seriously considering the Landy this is interesting reading:- http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...r_problems.htm

Subaru - i know someone who had $3K + to repair oil leak/s at just over 100,000km. First remove engine.... great when things are ok, much like modern French cars really..

Who in this climate today owns a car over 200,000kms anyway. If you are in the field of buying new cars today you would turn your vehicle over after about 150,000 or there a bouts. We dont have options today to go for long hall vehicles because the market has changed from what it used to be when you did make an investment in a vehicle. We no longer make investments, we make profit and loss optioned choices.

If you notice the cars that most of the posters are having in there stable they are old cars. There is no longer the option to have longevity in a vehicle. You must choose well, and a car from Mitsy badged as a Pug is a sure fail. I actually touched the dash on the 4007 because I could not believe my eyes when I saw that I was looking at my company car. It creaked and felt the same as the plastic that was on my shitty Lancer. The Lancer has done 12743 kms as is already causing me concern. But that is ok, because soon it will be auctioned off and replaced with another vehicle that won't last the distance.

You really need to get with the times! And the crap that some manufactures are producing, and rebadging.

I should get worried if I hear you. The 205 XS has plus 400.000 km's, the 205 cti plus 200.000 km's and the 607 is getting near 170.000km's...

As for the choices: defender is great on the dirt. But road handling on tarmac is quite a handfull, certainly if you compare it with the subaru and the peugeot/mitsubishi.

I would go for the Subaru. Best of both worlds: good on tarmac and good on dirttrack.
    www.peugeotforum.be
    Belgium Peugeot Club

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post

So the choices are:

Landrover Defender 90.

I can get it for $36000.
    Sorry about the late comment.
    I have a 2009 Forester XS (current shape) with 2.5 Petrol and 4 speed auto. It has been a great vehicle other than the one-ratio-short 4 speed auto, which I cant believe Subaru fitted, it needs a five speed auto. I also don't like the rear suspension, it has almost no rebound damping and is not directionaly stable around fast corners. This could be fixed with aftermarket replacments. My long term fuel economy is 9.3 l/100km.

I took a 4007 diesel for a (short) test drive recently and was dissapointed. I drove the auto and the throttle response of the mark was poor. I also noticed the rear suspension was very "sloppy". The drivers seat seemed to rock around when driving. The attachment to the body seemed to have lost some motion in the fastenings. However it did represent very good value for money. Top of the range for under $40k.

I also took a Mazda CX5 2.2 Lt diesel auto for a drive. I would have to say it was the best SUV style vehicle that I have driven, have some concerns about the luggage area and shape of the rear door angle restricting the verticle luggage space. However they want $43.5k

I also took the current 2 Lt diesel 6 SP Man Forester for a drive. It was good, and I don't understand why they require 6 speed gearbox with all that torque. These are renown for good fuel economy. They claim 1000 km on a tank (highway use) and I believe it would achieve this. I would purchase it, however I want a change from my current Forester and am looking for someting current.

I also drove a Captiva 5 and am yet to drive the new Hoda CRV, only petrol available, but looks good anyway.

Am also considering a current 308HDi touring, also good value under $40k.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    if you are seriously considering the Landy this is interesting reading:- http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...r_problems.htm

Subaru - i know someone who had $3K + to repair oil leak/s at just over 100,000km. First remove engine.... great when things are ok, much like modern French cars really..
    Vicious propaganda circulated by the LADA Niva club

The latest generation of four cylinder intercooled diesels are the FORD motor, as used in the Transits, (a vastly better power plant than he TDis).

I cant believe it was May I was thinking of changing over......
    Well it has not happened....yet.
    A slight disagreement with SWMBO as to what transport options are best, has led to inertia on the purchase front.

I still want a 90....she wants to emasculate me with a tiny Asian import that does 50MPB...(Miles per bowl of rice).

Any way the 307 has putted on .. and ...on... and ...on. I am now up for its second timing belt at 240,000. It will be retained for the first born as a trainer in the next year. (When I was his age I had to buy my own car...or steal it...). Another reason for the delay in purchasing a new car ....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

I investigated and drove a 4008 today. Yawn Yawn. Go and test drive a Mazda cx9.

Quote Originally Posted by 607 View Post
    I investigated and drove a 4008 today. Yawn Yawn. Go and test drive a Mazda cx9.
    Apart from having 4 wheels there is nothing remotely similar about a 4008 and a CX-9.

Why would you even bother comparing them?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Default Thinking of buying a 4007.

I went and drove a 4008 and was utterly disappointed in its bitsush!ty crapness. So went went to see if the C4 air cross came in diesel - nope. While there stumbled across a DS5 and fell in luuuurve....

Basically neither Peugeot or Citroen has a model that suits what we want - and we have narrowed it done to a koleos diesel or the Mazda CX-5 diesel grand tourer. I (extremely pug/cit/ren loyal) am thinking that the CX-5 ticks all boxes. But it is a $50k car..

Might go test the ASX diesel again....
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi.

I test drove the Mazda CX5 Maxx Sport (this is the mid range model) with the 2.2Lt turbo diesel and 6 S Auto. It was the best of the Small/Medium SUV's that I drove. Why do you need the CX5 GT? Its another $7k for not that much more??

I was dissapointed with the 4007 as well.

I had an Outlander in the Kimberley for 6 weeks. Bolts fell out of the interior during that time. It required two hands on the wheel at all times to avoid running off the road..... not what I am used to with Peugeots. I say pass....

Thread Information